Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Global IPv6 Deployment Monitoring Survey
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

2012 Global IPv6 Deployment Monitoring Survey

Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep
edited September 2012 in General

Comments

• Hmm, maybe I should add IPv6 capabilities to ScripteeBill... :P

• @Shane_Elmore Didn't know you coded PHP... how's good's your kung fu?

• @AsadHaider said: Didn't know you coded PHP... how's good's your kung fu?

Mostly "oh i forgot the code so i gotta look it up again" lol.

Seriously, I learn this stuff and forget it. :P

• @Shane_Elmore You're young, you'll get there :P Any demo of ScripteeBill?

• @AsadHaider said: You're young, you'll get there :P Any demo of ScripteeBill?

Not yet, but a demo should be out within a month. Worrying about the design first, then code. :P

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

THREAD HIJACK

• @Nick_A said: THREAD HIJACK

Hah! Yeah.

But yeah I hope Bright House gets IPv6 soon, then again it is Time Warner Cable so probably not.

• nunimnunim Member
    edited September 2012

@Shane_Elmore said: Not yet, but a demo should be out within a month. Worrying about the design first, then code. :P

Probably should be the other way around...

I'm very happy that more providers are offering IPv6, now I just need AT&T to give it to me... =( They say mid/end of 2012 will see rollouts, so probably have it somewhere close to 2014.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2012

@Shane_Elmore said: But yeah I hope Bright House gets IPv6 soon

They'll need to get new modems then (at least in my area). The modems they distribute now are DOCSIS 2.0 but 3.0 is required for IPv6 (or so I've been told).

• Not only new modems, new cable head as well.

• if fully implemented, will ipv6 be mostly free?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2012

@jcaleb said: if fully implemented, will ipv6 be mostly free?

As it stands now, the smallest IPv6 allocation is double the cost of the smallest IPv4 allocation from ARIN. Kinda irks me but our DC (like most) give out IPv6 for free. Then again, this expense isn't an issue for large providers and ISPs.

• i was thinking since there are so much ipv6, that each person in the world should have allocation by birthright?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2012

And make them portable in any location too, unless in countries that require a visa, where a special IPv6 visa will be granted in some justified cases to avoid "terrorist" abuse of the free IPv6 travel rights. Maybe even have to prove your "correct" religion, political orientation and lack of any link with the "terrorists" prior to be given some IPv6...
    After an initial push things are slowing down in my country, this is not a good sign, cant even get IPv6 for my business connections because of the "experimental" nature...

M

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@jcaleb said: i was thinking since there are so much ipv6

Yes, this means you will be able to get as much IPv6 as you need from your service provider for free (and if you can't, they're either clueless or greedy or both).

@jcaleb said: each person in the world should have allocation

No, network routing does not work like that.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • @KuJoe said: As it stands now, the smallest IPv6 allocation is double the cost of the smallest IPv4 allocation from ARIN. Kinda irks me but our DC (like most) give out IPv6 for free. Then again, this expense isn't an issue for large providers and ISPs.

ARIN sux. RIPE gives up to /29 ipv6 to each LIR without asking any questions. And there is no direct cost associated with it.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@rds100 said: ARIN sux

They also have too many IPv4...
    But, we have a saying here, who is distributing, takes his share... I am not sure if it can be translated well.
    Cine imparte, parte isi face. It would be more like who does the sharing takes his share or something :)
    M

edited September 2012

@Maounique you mean they are unfairly profiteering from something that's not even theirs (newsflash: IP numbers don't belong to ARIN, they were just put in place by the networking community to manage those numbers).

• @rm_ said: No, network routing does not work like that.

It would be fun if my phone or other gadget has fix ipv6, even if I travel abroad

edited September 2012

@jcaleb There is a protocol called "Mobile IPv6" specifically for this, but for some reason it is barely supported by anything or used by anyone. In a nutshell with it you use your home IPv6 also on your phone, and set up a tunnel similar to VPN from your current location to your home. (i.e. not too attractive due to increased latency and possible reliability issues)

Thanked by 1jcaleb