Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most annoying thing you discover after signing up with a new host - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Most annoying thing you discover after signing up with a new host

Comments

• PatsPats Member
    edited September 2012

the most annoying thing these days is... now what to do with this new LEB ?? :P

on the other side,

• its mostly the bad OS Templates - have to fix many things manually
    • support answer once in 24hrs if its flagged urgent. if normal then...
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2012

1) no rDNS in the control panel, only via ticket (that's a common one)
    2) TUN/TAP unavailable, okay, they turn it on, after the node reboots for some reason, it's not available again! Need a ticket again, they promise "sir, this is fixed now", but the hell it is, the next reboot it disappears again, post a ticket again, the assurances it's "finally fixed" repeat. And this goes on until you lose patience with this provider or with trying to use TUN/TAP on their VPS. (hello Citynethost, was it 7 or 8 times you "fixed" this for me?)
    3) IPv6 despite being advertised is actually not available, but "will be tomorrow/next week/month" (as Spirit described very well)
    4) ...or IPv6 is supposedly assigned but does not work properly, and they spend weeks figuring out what's wrong, with various lying answers in tickets. (hello Hostrail!)

There's a lot of stuff like this that can be annoying, so I never pay yearly anymore. Rather than having to put up with their b/s, it's so nice to be able to just pack up and leave the next month if the service totally sucks in some aspect.

Thanked by 1Garrett
  • Cannot agree with @David_P enough. I was so disappointed when I actually got the test out Stallion.

THE LOGIN PAGE WAS A LIE

• TazTaz Member
    edited September 2012

@Pats said: support answer once in 24hrs if its flagged urgent. if normal then...

1 out of 99999 host around here would care about that flag. They all are same for most of us. First in first serve. Unless it has been flagged internally.

• my most annoying is my vps is down almost every week and it's not automatically started. so i can't put anything a little bit serious there because you have to monitor if your vps is up all the time, and restart it yourself when its down.

• @rm_
    Thats.. exactly what I was going to say. Are you me from the future by any chance?

• arieonlinearieonline Member
    edited September 2012

2) TUN/TAP unavailable, okay, they turn it on, after the node reboots for some reason, it's not available again! Need a ticket again, they promise "sir, this is fixed now", but the hell it is, the next reboot it disappears again, post a ticket again, the assurances it's "finally fixed" repeat. And this goes on until you lose patience with this provider or with trying to use TUN/TAP on their VPS. (hello Citynethost, was it 7 or 8 times you "fixed" this for me?)

this happen on one of my vps, today the node restarted and my tun/tap working again after ticket sent... i thinks it's twice on this September

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

@Shane_Elmore said: And is a 15 year old Indian.

HURR I MADE A DEWLANCE REFERENCE C:

We're a Established Hosting Company and we don't have a broken templates.

• Our OS Installation is Automated, Pre-Configured and up-to-date.
  • justinbjustinb Member
    edited September 2012

@DewlanceVPS said: HURR I MADE A DEWLANCE REFERENCE C:

You can't even click quote properly much less run a host

Thanked by 1eastonch
  • DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

@justinb: I am on mobile.

• on a less serious note,
    that... another guy posts an offer that's actually miles better than what you just bought hours ago, lol

• @DewlanceVPS why are you still here...

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@lele0108 said: Cannot agree with @David_P enough. I was so disappointed when I actually got the test out Stallion.

THE LOGIN PAGE WAS A LIE

For now :)

Nikki is aiming for a public beta sometime in November. She's starting private beta's in the coming week or so.

V2 has supports for mobile phones as well as tablets built in. There is still some changes I want to put in related to navigation but it's looking great so far :)

Francisco

Thanked by 2Davidx jamson
    • No rDNS
    • I have no use for them
  • Annoying thing is facing the invoice and realize that I need to pay...
    Anyone agree? :p

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • Nah, it's more annoyng to watch an already paid invoice and ask yourself "why the hell did i pay this".

• Nah, it's getting the WHMCS / SolusVM VPS activated EMail with the CP credentials, logging in and staring at the list of templates....

Once I'm done choosing some weird and obscure distribution (I love hosts who offer these!), I log in and stare at the terminal. My dodgy internet causes the SSH session to time out, so I re-login.

I realise that I have nothing to do, and that I just wasted money, so I just go "F*** this. You are backup VPS #473". And that's why I have so many backups ;)

It's also fun to look through my emails, trying to find a specific one and come across the activation email for a VPS that I paid for 1 year a few months back, and trying to log in... then googling the provider's name and realising that they've deadpooled.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@rds100 said: Nah, it's more annoyng to watch an already paid invoice and ask yourself "why the hell did i pay this".

And even worse is to look at the payed invoice and ask yourself when will you receive the service if ever...
    M

• One of my pet peeves is non-automatic payments via CC or Paypal. I hate nothing more than having to pay invoices manually.

• One nobody mentioned yet is when the CP has no bandwidth reporting (EDIS is guilty of this).

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • @serverbear said: One of my pet peeves is non-automatic payments via CC or Paypal. I hate nothing more than having to pay invoices manually.

I hate when hosts force automatic payments.

• TazTaz Member
    edited September 2012

@DewlanceVPS said: Our OS Installation is Automated, Pre-Configured and up-to-date.

@DewlanceVPS Yet to find provider/s with pre-configured( per my need?) and up-to-date OS template...

• @eastonch said: @DewlanceVPS why are you still here...

Most annoying thing? :P

Thanked by 1Randy
  • @Taz_NinjaHawk said: @DewlanceVPS Yet to find provider/s with pre-configured( per my need?) and up-to-date OS template...

Taz, whom are you explaining? does he know what he's talking about?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Anyone else watching this thread just hoping not to see yourself make someone's list? ;)

Thanked by 2AlexBarakov Randy
  • bad templates and slow vps

• SimpleNodeSimpleNode Member
    edited September 2012

I'm guilty of a lot of things on this list;

1. Limited OVZ Templates
    2. No Instant rDNS
    3. No IPv6 (blame Incero)

D;

• @Zen said: They suck.

@ErawanArifNugroho said: Immediately they announced a server migration after my payment and receiving the service details.

@Zen, have you wrote about SwitchVM yet?

http://twitter.com/SwitchVM - they are migrating everyone from Motion Servers to ioflood after their 1 month free over there is ending.

SwitchVM ‏@SwitchVM
    Existing clients migrations will be started in 24 - 48 hours max. New node in Phoenix will be online soon.

New server ordered from @IOFlood - looking forward to working with them!

• Gabe had a promo running this week. (High ram node and 30 free ip) @7$/mo for 30 container, he might hardly break even. @zen you or me? Guess he is back with his old game again.

• switchvm. have you not learn your lesson?