Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most annoying thing you discover after signing up with a new host
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Most annoying thing you discover after signing up with a new host

bobbybobby Member
edited September 2012 in General

For me, its
1) Bad templates (ovz); missing +s on su binary, and i discover it too late and have to reinstall
2) Geo locates somewhere else

Comments

• @Zen said: They suck.

+1

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

The support speaks only Indian.

Thanked by 2Infinity Legendlink
  • NexusNexus Member
    edited September 2012

xt_connlimit
    xt_conntrack
    xt_state

usually these are disabled on the openVZ :( I usually ask the host before I sign up now :P

Might be the sign of me going to KVM? :D

@Alex_LiquidHost

LOL

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: The support speaks only Indian.

And is a 15 year old Indian.

HURR I MADE A DEWLANCE REFERENCE C:

• All packets in apt are marked as manual-installed.

1. Immediately they announced a server migration after my payment and receiving the service details.
    2. Immediately they announced an issues with the node after my payment
    3. Lag and very-very bad IO, less than 1mb/s
    4. Bad OS templates, so I have to spend my whole time for fixing their template, updating the repo list, and finally sent a Ticket but they said it's okay, so I just cancel it after 1 week. And sadly I'm just wasting my money because they don't give any refund.
    5. Ticket is not answered, compared to the first time when I open a Ticket asking about sales related. Even if it's answered, it took 1 week.
    6. Suspending me with the reason of abusing the node. For Windows provider, it's because I turn on the Automatic Update.
    7. Node rebooted daily
    8. Network problem everyday
  • I wake up to 100's of emails from my monitoring script over a single VPS.

• Desktop processors.
    Bad I/O

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2012

Excessive limitation to CPU access. I'm barely going to use it, but every now & then I need a core to get going. Hasn't happened often, but it has happened.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited September 2012

@ErawanArifNugroho said: Immediately they announced a server migration after my payment and receiving the service details.

lol :)

This is a notification for an upcoming server migration which will take place between September 22, 2012 - 0500 AM (GMT -0400) September 22, 2012 - 0700 AM (GMT -0400) and will affect your service with us. ...Another important part of this migration will be IP changes.

...after my payment and receiving the service details!

One of the things I dislike the most with new host is that they aren't honest in pre-sale answer and after I order service they delay with false promises in every support ticket replay.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2012

@Spirit said: One of the things I dislike the most with new host is that they aren't honest in pre-sale answer and after I order service they delay with false promises in every support ticket replay.

I don't get why people think dishonesty gets them anywhere in this particular market.

• Hehe, forgot a few things i agree with :)

• @jarland said: I don't get why people think dishonesty gets them anywhere.

May I request few IPv6 addresses? (as promised in pre-sale answer)

1. So should I connect 4 IPv6 addresses to your VPS? Let me know,

2. IPV6 will be available on your VPS in a few hours.

3. It will be available from tomorrow.

4. When I hear more from my collegue I'll let you know.

5. "This is a notification to let you know that we are changing the status of your ticket #963848 to Closed as we have not received a response from you in over 48 hours."

6. I'm sorry. I thought my collegue Jordi already assigned this for you. I will personally update you when we have added 4 IPV6 addresses to your account.

And now... two months later still no IPv6 :)
    0f course I don't have plan to stay with this host once my payment expire.

• @Spirit said: May I request few IPv6 addresses

How about a nice warm cup of he.net tunnel tutorials?

• @bobby said: How about a nice warm cup of he.net tunnel tutorials?

Completely irrelevant.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Spirit said: And now... two months later still no IPv6 :)

Do you happen to be hosted in Dallas?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited September 2012

@Nick_A said: Do you happen to be hosted in Dallas?

Naah, it's vps provider with huge LET thread from some month and half ago hosted at SERVERIUS .nl DC ;-) I didn't want to complain about IPv6 and/or this host here but about annoying incapability of some hosts to be straight and tell the truth.

• @Spirit said: Completely irrelevant.

Wasn't a go at you, but "ipv6 provider" :)

Thanked by 1Spirit
  • SpiritSpirit Member
    edited September 2012

@bobby said: Wasn't a go at you, but "ipv6 provider" :)

Misunderstanding (as I use HE anyway) from my side. I am sorry for that :) And yes, you're most likely right - their DC is IPv6 ready and my thought is also that vps provider simply don't know how to set up v6 so they keep lying and delaying.

1. Their control panel looks amazing from the login page, but when you login.. meh @BuyVM.
    2. When they are foreign and only answer one question even if I asked two.
    3. When their overhyped..when it isn't all that great.. including support, servers, location, blehbadiabooda.
  • Cloudflare offers free ipv6 tunnel

• When the disk is slower than the network... like what's happening on our old node right now; somebody seems intent on running disk benchmarks 24/7 or something - we're getting 50MB/s disk and 90MB/s network :L

• @SimpleNode said: When the disk is slower than the network... like what's happening on our old node right now; somebody seems intent on running disk benchmarks 24/7 or something - we're getting 50MB/s disk and 90MB/s network :L

Solution seems simple. Reduce your network speed by asking him to run network benchmarks as well.

Thanked by 2eastonch lbft
  • ^^^^^^^^^^^^ This.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@SimpleNode said: When the disk is slower than the network... like what's happening on our old node right now; somebody seems intent on running disk benchmarks 24/7 or something - we're getting 50MB/s disk and 90MB/s network :L

Check those using high CPU.

• Checked IOTop, I think it's like 4 FIO processes

• Simple node, you ain't the only one.

• @SimpleNode said: somebody seems intent on running disk benchmarks 24/7 or something

why not kick him out

• desktop processors aren't /that/ bad... but only if it's for dedicated :)

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • support staffs were outsourced and it took 24 hours for the issue to be escalated to a person who has better access to the server :|