Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Switching to WHMCS, or other?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Switching to WHMCS, or other?

PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
edited September 2012 in Help

Hello,

I currently use ClientExec. I don't really like the interface at all, and generally find it much harder to use than WHMCS. Would you recommend switching to WHMCS, or is there another system which you'd recommend?

Thanks,
Dominic

Comments

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Why did you go with ClientExec?

Thanked by 1jh
  • PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@Nick_A said: Why did you go with ClientExec?

When I started up, someone on here gave me a free license for CE due me doing something for them (as I still do). Now I can actually pay for licenses, due to clients paying me, I've got the opportunity to switch.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2012

I used to use ClientExec (I thought it looked more awesome than WHMCS - but I was an idiot then and now but to a lesser extent), it wasn't the interface, the actual system was failing on me, i.e. billing. I being an idiot of course, switched to WHMCS and migrated the data over and now billing is all flipped up on WHMCS, and WHMCS doesn't import a lot of stuff so a fair bit of manual work is required. That is unless my ClienExec install was just completely fudged.

WHMCS has my choice, it's good enough. It works.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

There is going to be something you hate about all of them. I don't recommend switching around much. We switched to HostBill after the big WHMCS deal, then switched back later for a variety of reasons that I won't bore you with, but having to do that twice isn't something I'm proud of. It doesn't come across well.

@jarland said: I don't recommend switching around much.

+1 Some clients don't like that, just I'm lucky to have nice clients that don't care as long as their service works and they can pay their bills fine.

• jhjh Member
    edited September 2012

I love how with one hand one can ask questions like this and with the other take people's money for hosting services, all on the same website :P

Seriously though, you should be using WHMCS. There isn't really an alternative that fits the same position in the market.

Thanked by 1Taz

@Infinity said: WHMCS has my choice, it's good enough. It works.

I've used WHMCS before and still do (elsewhere) and it works fine. I like it. I see they have an import script to move from CE but as you say manual work is probably going to be required too.

CE is working fine. I just hate it.

@jarland said: We switched to HostBill

If HostBill had monthly, I might have gone with them. Obviously they don't..

• @Nick_A said: Why did you go with ClientExec?

I had the same question. Well i use Hostbill for hosting clients, a beauty and cheap in long terms.

@acarrascope said: Well i use Hostbill for hosting clients, a beauty and cheap in long terms.

I like HostBill, but they don't have a monthly license which I need at the moment. ClientExec annoys me when it doesn't work properly, that's all :P And I don't like the interface (client or admin).

@dominicl said: If HostBill had monthly

Owned licenses are cheaper no matter which you choose, if you plan on being in business for a while.

@jarland said: Owned licenses are cheaper no matter which you choose, if you plan on being in business for a while.

I do, and probably could buy a owned license a bit further down the line. I'm not in a position to do so at the moment which is why I'm looking for monthly.

@dominicl said: I'm not in a position to do so at the moment which is why I'm looking for monthly.

If you don't have enough money for that, how do you have enough money to "expand"?

• @Infinity said: If you don't have enough money for that, how do you have enough money to "expand"?

Does his server company offer the first month free as per @Randy's comment?

• @Infinity said: If you don't have enough money for that, how do you have enough money to "expand"?

Free months.

• @jhadley said: Does his server company offer the first month free as per @Randy's comment?

WHT promotion.

@Infinity said: If you don't have enough money for that, how do you have enough money to "expand"?

I wasn't going to expand straight away. I was merely getting ideas so that when I am in a position to expand, I can do so. I was thinking of expanding in 1-3 months. Was just getting a list of providers to look at pricing at.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Go with ubersmith

Thanked by 1jh

@jhadley said: Does his server company offer the first month free as per @Randy's comment?

Yes, they did. I've asked for the invoice to be generated, and am going to get that paid as soon as they do so.

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: Go with ubersmith

You are going to kill the poor guy dude.

edited September 2012

@Alex_LiquidHost said: Go with ubersmith

You wanna make him bankrupt?

Edit: Damn, Tazwar (I think that's his name) beat me.. :(

• @Infinity Probably renting hardware and not buying/building.

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: You are going to kill the poor guy dude.

@Infinity said: You wanna make him bankrupt?

+1

Nonsense, they offer free trials.

@Alex_LiquidHost said: Nonsense, they offer free trials.

Maybe so, but then it costs like $150 per month

@Alex_LiquidHost said: Nonsense, they offer free trials.

You're hinting that his company will only last the period of the free trial? :P

@Infinity said: You're hinting that his company will only last the period of the free trial? :P

He probably is. But Ubersmith is not an option and I don't need all the features :P
    It looks like WHMCS it will be.

@dominicl said: He probably is.

He might not be wrong. :D

@bdtech said: @Infinity Probably renting hardware and not buying/building.

Just because you're renting, doesn't mean you can't afford an owned license..

Thanked by 1jar

@Infinity said: Just because you're renting, doesn't mean you can't afford an owned license..

Heck it means the opposite. I didn't have to buy the system and the extra drives on hand at the datacenter. Short term the renter has much more free money ;)

@jarland said: Heck it means the opposite. I didn't have to buy the system and the extra drives on hand at the datacenter. Short term the renter has much more free money ;)

On the other side - short term the renter might not have even enough to cover his next month.

@Alex_LiquidHost said: the renter might not have even enough to cover his next month.

The renter does have enough to cover more than the next month.