Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ServerBear script causing heavy IO and got my VPS suspended
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ServerBear script causing heavy IO and got my VPS suspended

ChanChan Member
edited September 2012 in General

Hello everyone,

I tried to run ServerBear on my Edis VRS earlier today, it seems to have started fine but it got stuck at the "Running FIO benchmark..." bit

Checking server stats...

Running dd I/O benchmark...
Running IOPing I/O benchmark...
Running FIO benchmark...

I thought it was going to take awhile so I went away for a cup of tea, but when I got back I got this in my mail

This is a notification that your service has now been suspended. The details of this suspension are below:

Product/Service: VRS ADVANCED
Domain: HK: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
Amount: EUR 13.49
Due Date: 25/09/2012
Suspension Reason: ToS Violation heavy I/O
Please contact us as soon as possible to get your service reactivated.
Nonpayment will result in deletion of the service and all associated data.
Best regards
Yours, EDIS team

It sounds to me that the IO test is repeating itself/not stopping, hence causing the heavy IO which got my VRS suspended. Does anyone have a clue what did I do wrong or is it a bug from the ServerBear script?
Here's the log if anyone's interested: http://pastebin.com/QeqitPjn

@serverbear: if you need any info on my VPS feel free to ask me after my VPS is reactivated :D
@William: please reactivated my VRS (just sent a ticket)....

Thanks guys

Comments

• this is interesting.. first issue with the script

• @Chan said: Hello everyone,

I tried to run ServerBear on my Edis VRS earlier today, it seems to have started fine but it got stuck at the "Running FIO benchmark..." bit

Checking server stats...

Running dd I/O benchmark...
    Running IOPing I/O benchmark...
    Running FIO benchmark...

I thought it was going to take awhile so I went away for a cup of tea, but when I got back I got this in my mail

This is a notification that your service has now been suspended. The details of this suspension are below:

Product/Service: VRS ADVANCED
    Domain: HK: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
    Amount: EUR 13.49
    Due Date: 25/09/2012
    Suspension Reason: ToS Violation heavy I/O
    Please contact us as soon as possible to get your service reactivated.
    Nonpayment will result in deletion of the service and all associated data.
    Best regards
    Yours, EDIS team

It sounds to me that the IO test is repeating itself/not stopping, hence causing the heavy IO which got my VRS suspended. Does anyone have a clue what did I do wrong or is it a bug from the ServerBear script?

Here's the log if anyone's interested: http://pastebin.com/QeqitPjn

@serverbear: if you need any info on my VPS feel free to ask me after my VPS is reactivated :D

@William: please reactivated my VRS (just sent a ticket)....

Thanks guys

Duh. You are doing load testing after all. What did you expect? If it is a loaded server and 3 or more people starts to run server bear at the same time, I am willing to shoot my self.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Randy said: this is interesting.. first issue with the script

No, it's not Randy.

Thanked by 2Taz William
  • Edis is my hero.

• @Taz_NinjaHawk said: Duh. You are doing load testing after all. What did you expect? If it is a loaded server and 3 or more people starts to run server bear at the same time, I am willing to shoot my self.

And how am I supposed to know whether the server is full or not? I'm pretty sure most people just run serverbear on their servers at random times (after all it wouldn't be fair if you can only run it when your host allows you to...), and how is it that I'm the only one who got my VPS suspended? As I checked on the serverbear's site, 3 other people have ran the script on other Edis's and they got away with it

Just my 2 cents

• @Randy Stop posting crap in threads. You're like the awkward third wheel who hovers in the background.

• @Chan said: And how am I supposed to know whether the server is full or not? I'm pretty sure most people just run serverbear on their servers at random times (after all it wouldn't be fair if you can only run it when your host allows you to...), and how is it that I'm the only one who got my VPS suspended? As I checked on the serverbear's site, 3 other people have ran the script on other Edis's and they got away with it

Well, providers are here to provide vps for usage not for benchmarking after all ;)

Thanked by 1marrco
  • @AsadHaider How good are you with greasemonkey?

• @Taz_NinjaHawk When I get home, I'm going to work on it. I'll post it in a new thread.

• @Taz_NinjaHawk said: Well, providers are here to provide vps for usage not for benchmarking after all ;)

Indeed, I ended up adding sb.sh to my abusers kill script.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

With busy VPS nodes there really is no perfect way to benchmark effectively and accurately without having an effect on others on the node. I probably wouldn't recommend running that script on a node too close to capacity. Unfortunately, the results won't be exactly what the node will look like at 100% capacity, unless the capacity is low (in which case price is usually high). That's just the unfortunate reality.

• RandyRandy Member
    edited September 2012

Sorry. i meant it could be an error with the script(there are chances of an eror too)

or the node could be busy

just my point of view.

• @Randy said: just my point of view.

That is the problem, your point of view is in every single thread. Take a chill, go outside, visit friends, find a girl, just stop posting everything your brain says to. Count to 100 before hitting submit, then ask yourself after pause, are you adding anything of value?

• Wow gang up on @Randy day. Did everybody wake up and have somebody piss in there wheaties?

back to topic - not sure of Edis setup but if they are on a load balanced setup and it jumped you to another node like ours would do maybe it caused the script to loop.

Thanked by 1Randy
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Damian said: Edis is my hero.

I am also thinking this will make ppl think twice, at least I do.
    M

• AsadAsad Member
    edited September 2012

I had multi grain cheerios this morning.

Thanked by 1ElliotJ
  • ChanChan Member
    edited September 2012

@Maounique said: I am also thinking this will make ppl think twice, at least I do.

Well I'm not trying to say Edis is bad in anyway, this is like the 4th VPS I've got from them and it has been alright till now. (even though that my reactivate ticket isn't replied yet but i guess waiting for a few hour wouldn't hurt...., I probably was banned automatically by a bot or something)

And also most importantly, this is probably not their fault. The serverbear script might have bugged and triggered bots on Edis's side to suspend me (which will in turn be my fault as the ServerBear is provided as-is)

• @Chan What's the purpose of running ServerBear?
    What're you trying to get out of?
    Here is the benchmark, blah blah, so what?

Thanked by 1marrco
  • It is good to know the benchmarks, however overhyping about the benchmarks could result in some hosts starting to optimize especially for benchmarks (i.e. like turning on SSD writeback caching) which could result to less reliability and potential data loss.

• Serverbear already did benchmark, just reference it.

• ChanChan Member
    edited September 2012

@LAKid said: @Chan What's the purpose of running ServerBear?

What're you trying to get out of?
    Here is the benchmark, blah blah, so what?

To see what I'm paying for? Why don't you give me other ways of comparing VPSes? You may say that they aren't accurate but with those results I can easily tell which VPS is the best for CPU intensive stuff, which one is best for VPNing.

@LAKid said: Serverbear already did benchmark, just reference it.

Nope they didn't (http://serverbear.com/9801/edis), if they've I probably wouldn't have bothered to do it myself

• @Chan said: which VPS is the best for CPU intensive stuff, which one is best for VPNing.

I can tell you - no VPS is good for encoding movies 24/7 and VRS is not good at all for VPNing :)

Thanked by 1marrco
  • @rds100 said: I can tell you - no VPS is good for encoding movies 24/7 and VRS is not good at all for VPNing :)

Just making a point lol, this VRS VPS in particular doesn't even have TUN/TAP (I have KVMs for that)

• Exactly, VRS doesn't have the features needed for VPNing.

• @rds100 said: Exactly, VRS doesn't have the features needed for VPNing.

I never said I was going to VPN with the VRS :), well I was just trying to say that benchmarks helps users to find out what the VPS is good and not good at. Sorry if that caused confusion

Thanked by 1rds100
  • haha I bet 90% users get LEB just to benchmark every month :P

• If you have a good node management, there is no problem with benchmarks. You can limit io, cpu and ram with xen or kvm. In our XEN and KVM vps, we don´t see any benchmark, only a high load or something. If a hoster offers guarantee ressources, they must be allowed benchmarks. If not, no guarantee ressources..

• @fileMEDIA said: If you have a good node management, there is no problem with benchmarks. You can limit io, cpu and ram with xen or kvm. In our XEN and KVM vps, we don´t see any benchmark, only a high load or something. If a hoster offers guarantee ressources, they must be allowed benchmarks. If not, no guarantee ressources..

What are you smoking boi?

• Nothing...Good management..no problems with benchmarks..

• @fileMEDIA said: Nothing...Good management..no problems with benchmarks..

10KVM on a same buyvm server running serverbear at the exact same time, Aldryic will bann the hell out of me.