Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NAS Drive? Nope This is better - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NAS Drive? Nope This is better

Comments

• I have a Tonidoplug (an alternative for Pogo) sitting at home for 2 years now, serving as my own experimental web server with my home connection and also a front-end for my Drobo, has been working really well so far

Anyone willing to colo them?

• Shane_ElmoreShane_Elmore Member
    edited September 2012

@zhuanyi said: Anyone willing to colo them?

Pay $65/mo for my 20mbps/2mbps Bright House Networks connection. xD

• @Shane_Elmore said: Pay $65/mo for my 20mbps/2mbps Bright House Networks connection. xD

I'd rather colo at home then, 18mbps down, 1/5mbps up, for free :)

• Edis does colo raspberry pi for free

• @djvdorp said: Edis does colo raspberry pi for free

I have ordered one, all is great except shipping takes 12 weeks...

And asked them, @William is not willing to colo Tonido...

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited September 2012

Yes, as these have a direct power plug...

• @zhuanyi said: I have ordered one, all is great except shipping takes 12 weeks...

wtf. i ddnt see that part. where it say that?

• @djvdorp said: Edis does colo raspberry pi for free

I am listening.... 1 Raspberry PI lying right here in front of me, another one on the way (according to RS Electronics... boy they suck)

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited September 2012

Amazon cloud in this offer is glacier so its a penny per GB usually. Is cnet version better specs?

• May buy one of these just for family photos going back years, really need an offsite location for those in case the house burns down or something.

• klikliklikli Member
    edited September 2012

I have been owning a similar SheevaPlug (if you know this, you are old enough in the mini client world!), but it's an ARMv5 CPU with damn-slow speed. Currently using for SSL-ed web proxy:)

• How about sparkplug?

• FreekFreek Member
    edited September 2012

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

I assume this is the Pogoplug as I am not expecting any other packages from UPS AFAIK.

• Nice! Anyone know the spec of this particular pogo plug?

• I would get one but Canada is excluded!! oh well I already have a pogo classic anyways..

• Is this more powerful than the Pi?

• DanielMDanielM Member
    edited September 2012

@Freek said: Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

Just got mine around same time. carnt wait

Mine came from germany :D

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@rds100 said: Hmm i wonder if it is even legal to discriminate customers from different EU countries...

Like usually, Bulgaria is not in the list of available countries.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Well, not even canada, so I dont feel that bad.
    M

Thanked by 1netomx
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

not even Mexico haha

• FreekFreek Member
    edited September 2012

@Deor said: Nice! Anyone know the spec of this particular pogo plug?

@bdtech said: Is this more powerful than the Pi?

Pogoplug Classic (formerly Basic)
    Processor: ARMv6-compatible processor rev 5 (v6l)
    CPU Hardware: Oxsemi NAS
    BogoMIPS: 2 x279.34
    Total Memory: 128MB

Going to use mine for off-site backups of my NAS (yes really). Problem: My NAS has 6TB of storage capacity. I currently only have 3TB of USB disks lying around (1x1TB and 1x2TB) so I might need to pick some more up as my addiction for data grows.

@DanielM said: Mine came from germany :D

Mine as well. Here's a protip: Any company name ending with 'GmbH' is a German company. It's easy to remember because GmbH means 'Geh Mal Bier Holen' (translation: Go get some Beer ;) ).

I did some calculations regarding the included 100GB of Amazon Glacier storage for 1 year.
    Suppose you use all 100GB, it would cost them 100x0.01 = 1$ per month just for the storage, that's 12$ a year.
    Incoming traffic is free, but outgoing obviously isn't. The first 1GB out is free. Let's suppose you use 5GB of outgoing traffic a month, which is quite a lot. That would cost them 4x0.12= 0.48$ per month for the traffic, that's 5.76$ a year.
    So in total, the included 100GB storage in the Amazon Glacier cloud will cost the Pogoplug team 5.76+12= $17.76 on average per year.
    The offer was $29 (excluding shipping) so that leaves $29-17.76 = $11.24 to finance the included Pogoplug Classic/Basic device AND make a profit. That's not a large margin, so I hope the guys over at Pogoplug have thought this through. Hate to see these kind of startups die!
    I think they are hoping that people will renew their subscription for the Amazon Glazier Offsite Cloud Storage, because that's where they will make profits of the second year; Reselling 100GB of storage for $29 which effectively will cost around $17.76. Still not much of a profit tho.

• RobertRobert Member
    edited September 2012

Why do people think the storage is provided by Amazon Glacier? If that was the case, you wouldn't have instant access to your files.

EDIT

OK, sorry I googled it, and they are indeed using glacier. I have the previous offer which has 5GB of cloud storage. I can mount that as a drive on my machine and use it like any other. It's hard to see how that would work with glacier.

• @Robert said: Why do people think the storage is provided by Amazon Glacier? If that was the case, you wouldn't have instant access to your files.

Hence the archive part. But the instant part is via the web interface which is basicaly hosted online. and the device is connected to that.

• @Robert said: Why do people think the storage is provided by Amazon Glacier? If that was the case, you wouldn't have instant access to your files.

Because it's true? http://slashdot.org/topic/bi/pogoplug-uses-amazon-glacier-for-backup/

• Yeah, sorry for not checking first. If it's just for archiving, then fine. But it's advertised as cloud storage. You won't be able to use it like dropbox. As I mentioned, their software allows you to mount their previous/other cloud offering as a drive as use it as one. Hard to see how that would work with Glacier.

• Looking at my account, I can still add 100GB of 'cloud' for $15 a month, but I can also add the family option which gives the 100GB of archive for $29.

Confusing as I already have their $19.95/yr family option which just allows you to backup multiple machines to your own storage. (A crappy deal, but that was what you previously had to pay to get the free device.)

• @Robert said: You won't be able to use it like dropbox. As I mentioned, their software allows you to mount their previous/other cloud offering as a drive as use it as one. Hard to see how that would work with Glacier.

You won't be able to use the 100 GB as cloud storage, that's correct. It's only there for archiving.

But you can use your pogoplug as a dropbox, using the storage capacity of your own added drives.

• Ordered the classic. The pogoplug in the cnet deal only has 1 USB port btw

• I'm a bit confused here... so if my home's uplink is bad, does it mean that it'll be slow if I download stuff from the "cloud"? Or will I be downloading from Amazon Glacier?

• Mine came in today. Model: POGO-P21 with 3 USB ports.