Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

4G IN UK! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

4G IN UK!

Comments

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Complete bullshit. Almost noone needs 10mbit+ on a mobile.

LTE itself isn't 'complete bullshit' as it helps to improve broadband coverage in rural areas. And mobile devices are going the same way as computers in terms of 'connectivity', so we're always on the hunt for more bandwidth.

Still, how LTE is being released in the UK is a bit of a shambles as it means EE has (at least) a years head-start compared to the rest of the networks (who have to wait to the spectrum auction later next year).

• @Dom said: Still, how LTE is being released in the UK is a bit of a shambles as it means EE has (at least) a years head-start compared to the rest of the networks (who have to wait to the spectrum auction later next year).

Thats good. Gives them time to update there crappy networks. For example u ever done a speed test on vodafone? 100ms+ ping

• @Dom said: Still, how LTE is being released in the UK is a bit of a shambles as it means EE has (at least) a years head-start compared to the rest of the networks (who have to wait to the spectrum auction later next year).

EE are being forced to give some 1800Mhz to Three last time I heard, so Three should be able to roll out a 4G network quick if they are given approval. Although I'd hope they wait till 800Mhz for better coverage.

Turns out my slow HSPA+ was due to the ROM I was using with errors in its radio binarys, switched back to stock and massive improvement.

• @MrLabradoodle said: Turns out my slow HSPA+ was due to the ROM I was using with errors in its radio binarys, switched back to stock and massive improvement.

Give it an hour or two. will be slow again :)

btw what apn u using?

• @DanielM said: btw what apn u using?

three.co.uk, I tried 3internet and theres no difference. Also Three's auto-sign on does not work under 3internet

• @MrLabradoodle said: three.co.uk, I tried 3internet and theres no difference. Also Three's auto-sign on does not work under 3internet

three.co.uk is natted, proxied, and god knows what else.

• @DanielM said: three.co.uk is natted, proxied, and god knows what else.

Yeh, but I have not noticed any reduction in speed using it.

• @DanielM said: 100ms+ ping

I get 200ms+ ping on 3G.

• So it seems 4G will be coming to Sheffield; knowing my luck it will stop just before Doncaster (where I live, not far out of Sheffield). Lucky to get a decent EDGE signal here sigh

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited September 2012

I probably won't get 4G till the 800Mhz auction. But I am going to stick with Stock ROM for my phone so I can get the decent HSPA speeds.

• @TheHackBox said: I get 200ms+ ping on 3G.

Exactly. I can get less than 40ms during the night on t-mobile. voda need to upgrade there 3G before they consider 4G

• @DanielM said: Exactly. I can get less than 40ms during the night on t-mobile. voda need to upgrade there 3G before they consider 4G

Voda should pay their massive tax bill before Ofcom do anything for them.

• @MrLabradoodle said: Voda should pay their massive tax bill before Ofcom do anything for them.

Voda have come out regarding that saying that the UK allows it through loopholes. They pay more tax with there foreign companies. And this disgrace of a government doesnt appear to be doing much about it.

• @DanielM said: Voda have come out regarding that saying that the UK allows it through loopholes. They pay more tax with there foreign companies. And this disgrace of a government doesnt appear to be doing much about it.

I think it was found out Vodafone was doing it via illegal methods, but they made a deal with HMRC to only pay like 10%.

• @DanielM said: three.co.uk is natted, proxied, and god knows what else.

You can disable the NAT and proxy in the webcontrol panel (at least both here in Austria, Hongkong and Israel - so i bet in the UK also)

• @William said: You can disable the NAT and proxy in the webcontrol panel (at least both here in Austria, Hongkong and Israel - so i bet in the UK also)

Nope you carnt here :( its not that technical yet.

edited September 2012

@DanielM said: Nope you carnt here :( its not that technical yet.

Three UK don't have nearly enough IPs to provide everyone their own IP, and they are still growing big, although still far away from Orange & T-Mobile.

• Well they have 479K ip Addresses allocated to them.

edited September 2012

@DanielM said: Well they have 479K ip Addresses allocated to them.

and nearly 10 million customers.

Although hopefully they roll out IPv6, although they have no plans todo so. Although with IPv6 you can still enable a NAT-like firewall.

• @MrLabradoodle said: and nearly 10 million customers.

Well didnt know that part :D

• @MrLabradoodle said: EE are being forced to give some 1800Mhz to Three last time I heard, so Three should be able to roll out a 4G network quick if they are given approval. Although I'd hope they wait till 800Mhz for better coverage.

Yup, part of the competition clause of EE having the 1800 spectrum was to give 25% of the spectrum away, which went to Three (it was always going to be Three as they're both part of MBNL). However, Three aren't able to use their share of the spectrum until next year.

@DanielM said: Thats good. Gives them time to update there crappy networks. For example u ever done a speed test on vodafone? 100ms+ ping

It's certainly not good for competition and leaves the other networks on the back foot having to play catch-up.
    However O2 and Vodafone have both agreed to share masts (one of the rumours to why EE was given the years head start), so there should be a rapid rollout of LTE from both of them.

And LTE will reduce latency to some extent anyway but you'll never get the single or low double digits you'd get with a home connection due to the infrastructure/network/backhaul.

• @Dom said: And LTE will reduce latency to some extent anyway but you'll never get the single or low double digits you'd get with a home connection due to the infrastructure/network/backhaul.

Doubt that on there networks. if that was the case there would be an improvement on HSPA and HSPA+

• @Dom said: However, Three aren't able to use their share of the spectrum until next year

I thought Ofcom said Three would get approval if they asked for it?

• We will get LTE in December, promised to work ~100Mbps. Right now Orange has a tiny network with 30-60Mbps. (DO)

• ....and queue the music for the entire cellular-based user population to develop RSI.

• @AstoundingHost said: ....and queue the music for the entire cellular-based user population to develop RSI.

That's already happening.

• MrLabradoodle - Indeed it is. A lot of people are put off and simply wait until they have access to a WiFi network since 3G isn't exactly light speed. I've been in places and it's taken in excess of 10 seconds to load Google, so browsing forums or other websites is simply out of the question. I heard on news last night that 3G is 30x times faster in a speed test, which is quite something.

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

I'm so eager for this it's unreal. So irritated that I'm gonna have to hold off until next year to get a contract, as I really don't wanna sign up to a network that may not end up getting any (or much) of the 4G spectrum. Plus I'd wanna be with the network that's making the best use of it (i.e fast speeds where I live, no download limits).

If Three continues to be truly unlimited, then I'd love to go with them.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but considering Three are the best UK 3G provider at the moment.. didn't they only get a small share from the 3G auction? I'm sure the other "big boys" took more than Three, but just didn't utilise it anywhere near as well?

• @liamwithers said: Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but considering Three are the best UK 3G provider at the moment..

Nope. Everything everywhere (EE) aka orange and t-mobile have the best and biggest 3g network with HSPA+ 21.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited September 2012

Another reason to get iPhone 5 :P 4G Support

< Apple haters posting below in few secs >