Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DNS Provider Needed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DNS Provider Needed

ReviewLinuxReviewLinux Member
edited September 2012 in General

Hello,

I was setting up multiple vps's of my site for testing. I have used Amazon Route 53 in the past and was always very satisfied with their service. I then wanted to experiment with multi sites of my domain and tried their LBR Records ( Latency ) as I had a mirror of my site in UK and Japan. Well suddenly from 500,000 queries a month I went to 2.5 million in 11 days.. ouch... Of course one gets charged for this but it was not bring traffic to site. I do not think I totally understand the queries formula but I did read at Amazon that they all the ANY query which from my reading is good DNS practice.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? Is there another provider that offers this at maybe a more reasonable rate? Since my knowledge is limited on DNS can I use Weighted Records for each mirrored site or is that truly just based on traffic?

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• AsadAsad Member
    edited September 2012

@ReviewLinux I use ClouDNS for my domains, the interface is awesome and it's cheap. They have a free account too,I only pay because they have awesome support and I'm happy to pay for it. There's also no limit on the number of DNS queries either.

@gbshouse has a DNS service called Rage4 which is being developed, can't remember the pricing or project status. Check the thread link below. I've got one domain with them and they're great too.

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/4367/rage4-dns-service

Thanked by 1ReviewLinux
  • @AsadHaider Thanks for links. I will look into them. The unlimited queries is a nice feature from ClouDNS, Rage4 pricing is here: http://www.rage4.com/Home/Features and it maybe of similar pricing to that of Route 53.

• klikliklikli Member
    edited September 2012

My opinion would be getting one of your idling VPS as DNS, along with dns.he.net and buddyns as backup NS'es. And if you wish to, do not list your VPS as the actual NS of your domain.

Thanked by 1ReviewLinux
  • @asadhaider While cloudDns is free, they have horrible network. My site appeared down from multiple location (Asia region and small part of eu) while the system was up.

• @klikli Would that sort of setup allow for Latency records. One thing that attracted me to Route 53 was that feature. It really did work well.

• @klikli why not namecheap free dns ;0

• ajitajit Member
    edited September 2012

How about cloudflare.com?

Edit: fixed typo.

Thanked by 2Taz [Deleted User]
  • klikliklikli Member
    edited September 2012

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: @klikli why not namecheap free dns ;0

They don't have backup DNS and custom SOA that sort of thing.. And their free DNS is quite a mess, not to mention frequency of outages.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Feel free to try our new service - Rage4 DNS. We are going to introduce free accounts (right now we are running free beta).

• You could try out http://www.cloudns.net

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

DNSMadeEasy.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

You get 5m queries.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2012

ClouDNS recently had a nice outage and database loss. Even if it's a hobby I wouldn't use them after that. Backing up databases is not hard.
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1182527

Tried & true: http://www.zoneedit.com/
    Haven't used them in a few years, never had any issues when I did. No offense to DNS startups, but toying with DNS is a dangerous game. It's one of the things that when it breaks and you aren't in control of it, you just have to walk away and watch the outage. It'll most likely always get fixed before you could take matters into your own hands. Don't trust just anyone with it.

Thanked by 1ReviewLinux
  • @KuJoe @Jack +1 for DNSMadeEasy, we currently use them and no issues. $29.95/year isn't that bad either

• @jarland Thanks for advice. I used zoneedit many yrs ago when it was really free as a secondary.

• @KuJoe Does $29.95/yr give GeoDNS or Latency Records?

@jarland - we run non public DNS servers for last few years, Rage4 DNS is our first service available to everyone

• @StormVZ said: @KuJoe @Jack +1 for DNSMadeEasy, we currently use them and no issues. $29.95/year isn't that bad either

We also use DNSMadeEasy. No issues.

• I would personally get this as a challenge and setup pdns with postgresql replication in the background as something to learn as I have never done it before - (have setup local and other dns servers)

• DNSbed.com if you know some chinese. :P

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2012

@gbshouse Are you calling it live yet? I saw the update about the TX server, bummer. I'm keeping my eye on your service. I can run dns fine, but eventually I'd like to hand it off to a larger infrastructure than I'd like to personally maintain, without selling my left testicle to afford it.

• @DNSbed said: DNSbed.com if you know some chinese. :P

you can help us with that, and oh yeah i know chinese, i cant read it or write it, i can o nly speak. i am very bad at chinese

@jarland - we will go live on the 1st of October. We need to change the provider in TX (probably we will add two new US locations this week).

• @Randy sounds great man, many people can't speak chinese even they can read, but you can.:p

• great ? i cant even write basic words

• @jarland said: ClouDNS recently had a nice outage and database loss. Even if it's a hobby I wouldn't use them after that. Backing up databases is not hard.

First issue I've ever had with them, when I couldn't login I emailed support and they told me to signup again which took a minute. Then they restored all the zones to the account, it was only user login details which got deleted. All the zone data was still there.