Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why IO tests are overrated. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why IO tests are overrated.

2»

Comments

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited September 2012

Another way of looking into this, hopefully related to topic, is that when provider have the high io, its indicative that it is more likely they own and control hardware, and that they are more serious in the longevity of providing service? i'm assuming its more troublesome to put together the sauce to have good io service.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • @jcaleb said: I started viewing LEB last March and joined LET early April. Back then, very very few providers can do 100mb/s+ dd io. Right now, I don't think any one would dare to post in LET something below 100, or else they will get it....

That's funny because I know providers with 700mb/s+ IO :P

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2012

@titanicsaled said: Id like to see a provider offering large amounts of slower storage with their plans because large storage would benefit me a lot more than high speed

It's like @miTgiB said, it's too cheap to set up a RAID, so you really won't get much more storage if any. RAID controller only costs once until God forbid it goes out. Most providers here are using SATA drives on hardware RAID10 from what I see. By no means do I think we're losing out on storage with places like BuyVM and Hostigation (admittedly my two preferred providers aside from RamNode, speaking as a customer not as a provider). I mean I have 100GB for $10 with Tim. Only way to top that is to get a kimsufi.

I'm holding near 300mb/s on 4 2TB SATA drives on HW RAID10 in Denver right now, so I'm not sure what lowering my I/O speed would do to help boost storage levels. Controller didn't even cost me anything. I guess lower I/O would force me to put less people on a node and therefore increasing allotments, but I don't think it's beneficial to the client if I can't make a node profitable. Unless we're not talking LEB prices.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • OAS does 1.5~ GB/s on their test boxes, lol.

But yeah, I do agree. The problem is, people think the higher the number, the better the service - which is true occasionally, but in no way a permanent gauge for the overall service quality.