Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What type of LEB is the most attractive to you?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What type of LEB is the most attractive to you?

jkr1711jkr1711 Member
edited September 2012 in General

Hi all

I've offered VPS's before (sold out) but they were more high-end type of boxes. I'm seriously considering offering LEB's for a change; but I'd like to know what your favourite type of LEB is! Is it low specs with a low price or high ram for $7 like CVPS or is it something totally different? Thanks in advance

John :)

Comments

• every people have their own interest.

Some with lower price, some with higher/lower RAM, some with higher/lower disk space, some with more/less bandwidth.

Just don't break your own TOS/ Privacy Policy, and don't bashing another provider.

• @Zen said: Specialized Ultra Pseudo Plasma Enriched Titanium Encased Spectral Virtual Private Servers for under $5 have to be my most favourite.

+1 This

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I like the big BW things.
    Don't need uptime (well, 90% or so is satisfactory), don't need much cpu, ram, even disk, but need low price :)
    M

• KenshinKenshin Member
    edited September 2012

As a LET user, I'd say I want:

24 or more Cores
    16GB RAM
    10TB HDD
    Unmetered 1Gbps
    100% uptime
    24/7/365 support via phone

All for $0.01/month

As a provider I'd say, do your own research instead of asking. You're not going to get a common answer, neither are you going to get anything conclusive because everyone wants the most value for their money. Everyone's requirement is different, so is their budget.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • @Kenshin said: All for $0.01/month

I bet you'd pay upto 5¢ for that.

• VPS specifications depends on the requirements of the site/application, but my preference is always for recent hardware with at least some basic high availability features (SAS drives on RAID; dual power supply; ECC memory).

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2012

Important:

• Xen/KVM
    • Native IPv6 routed subnet
    • Good bandwidth
    • ...or exotic location (Asia, Middle East, Africa)
    • Instant rDNS via SolusVM
    • ...or delegation to custom nameservers (IPv6 rDNS)
    • Tor and IRC allowed

Not as important:

• Disk space
    • Many CPU cores
    • More than one IPv4
    • (Semi-)Management (not needed at all)
  • gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited September 2012

I mostly use LEBs for gameservers so HDD and bandwidth aren't important to me since a 24 slots Source Engine server will run on 128mb RAM. Im satisfied with low RAM combined with a decent stability.

• @miTgiB said: I bet you'd pay upto 5¢ for that.

I actually posted $1, but upon reconsideration of how everyone wants cheap, I figured the extra zeros makes it flashier (just like in a real advertisement).

But yeah, I'd be more than willing to pay $1 for it and come back complaining the moment there's 1 second of downtime or if I can't push 1Gbps all the time. :)

@jkr1711

To addon, research and offer not just what you think the users want, but also what you CAN. Don't jump into offering more than what you can, then later realise you're digging your own grave. End of the day your customers would rather your service stays online and stable, rather than you end up being deadpooled because you offered more than you could handle.

• Thanks all for the (humourous) advise I'll definitely take some market research. @Kenshin good point, I'll start looking for some more staff first (got 3 at the moment in different time zones)

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

@jkr1711 I'm always looking for a good deal and for me, that means enough ram, cpu, io and webspace + fairly stable + fairly good bandwidth + good support to top it off. I know it actually sounds too good to be true for some of the low prices you see but I have to commend CVPS for their offer... so far its been the most perfect for me so far. BuyVM second in line as well. IRC allowed is another thing I like. Hope this helps you in your research as well. Good luck ;)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

The kind that works.

• flyfly Member
    edited September 2012

xen, ipv6, rdns, ability to run my own kernel.

• nunimnunim Member
    edited September 2012

IPv6 & setting rDNS via Solus if that's the panel used (more providers need these!). Xen/KVM is always a bonus.

Unusual locations are nice :)

• free for life LEB :3

Thanked by 2Pats tux
  • dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited September 2012

I have cheap low spec VMs and the $7 large spec VMs.

Uptime is very important for me.

• I like really cheap LEBS :P. $1-3 range 'n stuff.

• 99.999999% uptime

• And 99.999% discount. :p

• I'm easy to please: 500GB+ on 1Gbit, at least 128MB RAM, within LEB pricing.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Are you in a position to match ChicagoVPS's pricing?

• @Zen said: Specialized Ultra Pseudo Plasma Enriched Titanium Encased Spectral Virtual Private Servers for under $5 have to be my most favourite.

zenEncoded also? :D

• PatsPats Member
    edited September 2012

@ihatetonyy said: I'm easy to please: 500GB+ on 1Gbit, at least 128MB RAM, within LEB pricing.

+1 and bandwidth at least 1TB

@jkr1711 You can go through the Offers section and observe member's comments/reactions/popularity..

• After trying out various providers (most of them were OpenVZ) the last month or two this is a must for me:
    XEN/KVM
    IPv6, rDNS for both v4/v6, be able to control rDNS via control panel is fantastic
    Good ping/traceroute from/to my location
    Server hardware, no desktop computers :P
    Good support

Although I prefer XEN or KVM, I would consider OpenVZ if it had all the modules needed for PPTP, OpenVPN etc... like BuyVM has, but unfortunately many of them don't.

• @emilv said: Although I prefer XEN or KVM, I would consider OpenVZ if it had all the modules needed for PPTP, OpenVPN etc... like BuyVM has, but unfortunately many of them don't.

Anyone who uses SolusVM for CP shouldn't have much trouble with this at all, it's just about pre-loading kernel modules then the rest is for the customer to enable via SolusVM. Don't discount OpenVZ so quickly, will probably save you some money.

• emilvemilv Member
    edited September 2012

Yes, I know its possible. It's just a question how willing the provider is to fix the issue. I asked 3 providers fix my issue, one fixed it immdiately (HttpZoom), another a day later (Cubixcloud) and I'm still waiting for the 3rd one to fix it (BudgetVM).

Another thing about OpenVZ (if it does not support native IPv6) I would want to be able to use a tunnel until native is available. :)

• @emilv said: Another thing about OpenVZ (if it does not support native IPv6) I would want to be able to use a tunnel until native is available. :)

There's always the option of constant nudging to get your provider to do the IPv6 tunneling instead of yourself. Enable it for all clients and you can claim "IPv6 enabled over tunnel", better than no IPv6 completely. Good for business!

• I do not know about most people here, but for me I look for the following:

Xen/kvm

• 20-35gb hd
    • 100-500gb bw (based on location, more if in US)
    • 128/256mb ram (256-512mb swap)
    • at least 1 cpu core
    • 1ipv4 and at least 1 ipv6 ip
    • IRC allowed is a plus
      $4-$5.00/month USD

OpenVZ

• 20-35gb HD
    • 128mb ram (256mb burst)
    • 100-500gb bw (based on location, more if in US)
    • fair share for CPU (at least share % of 2 cores)
    • 1ipv4 and at least 1 ipv6 ip
    • IRC allowed is a plus
      $3.00-$4.00/month USD

if you meet this criteria, do not seem like a kiddie host, someone who is massively overselling and you have decent connectivity, you likely will have my business.

Hope this helps.

• ChicagoVPS has prices a lot of providers (i say a lot, but there are more and more everyday getting closer) that many cannot simply achieve.
    2GB RAM
    50GB HDD
    1 IPv4
    2TB Transfer
    100Mbit link

It's been something we can achieve and sustain as 2 years later after our first leb, we are still here. :)

By the way, we are working on some more ridiculous deals soon(trademarked by BuyVM)! :)

For me as a user of a few LEB's, it must be Xen/KVM, 10GB HDD at least, and 500GB+ bandwidth. It can be either a 100Mbit or 1000Mbit link. It must also have at least 1 IPv4. IPv6 is optional but a nice thing to have.

• @jshinkle said: By the way, we are working on some more ridiculous deals soon(trademarked by BuyVM)! :)

Mind to share a little bit? ;)

Thanked by 1jcaleb