Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LEB providers with an IPv6 /64 or more?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LEB providers with an IPv6 /64 or more?

rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
edited August 2012 in General

Hello,

I am looking to compile a list of LEB providers who are able to provide a routed IPv6 block of /64 or more (/60, /56 or /48) to a VPS.

"Why so many IPs for just one VPS?" -- the answer is IPv6 VPN, or basically a private http://tunnelbroker.net/ replacement.

The virtualization has to be Xen or KVM.

So far I know:

• Evorack
  • IperWeb
  • Kimsufi 2G (not VPS, a LowEndDedi)

Any others?

Thanks.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho

Comments

• I've provided a /64 on request to a few for just this reason. But to be sure I understand you, you want the /64 routed to a single IPv6 on your VPS and you will provide the gateway for it?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@miTgiB said: you want the /64 routed to a single IPv6 on your VPS

Yes.

• GetKVM provides native IPv6 with a /64 for every VPS (they might give you more if you ask).

Why do you need so many IPs?

edited August 2012

@Jack
    I asked InceptionHosting in March-2012, they were not providing this.

@gsrdgrdghd said: Why do you need so many IPs?

You need to have at least a /64 per LAN (for the easy and automatic "SLAAC" addressing set-up method to work), else your v6 configuration starts to involve DHCPv6 and becomes really messy and picky with regard to which client OSes will be able to use your IPv6, etc. etc.

• @rm_ said: You need to have at least a /64 per LAN

Mobile devices expect it as well and can follow you if I understand this right

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited August 2012

We give a /112, but i can route you a /64 or /48 (or even larger, as much as you want) on request to one of the IPv6 IPs out of the /112 on KVM and Dedicated servers (both Austria only)
    I require (because else i have a mess in our v6 DB) to assign it to your data at RIPE however.
    (no fee for all that)

• flyfly Member

linode can give you a /56

• @fly said: linode can give you a /56

@rm said LEB provider.

• nunimnunim Member
    edited August 2012

StylexNetworks provides a /64 on request. XEN, Los Angeles.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

We'll have our IPv6 going next week.

• I can issue a entire /64, I call it wasteful but who cares it's a never ending supply(Untill it runs out, That day will come eventually).

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Jacob said: I can issue a entire /64, I call it wasteful but who cares it's a never ending supply(Untill it runs out, That day will come eventually).

Yeah, when that happens ipv7 will appear and will offer addressed like:
    X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X

To make sure they never end and to make sure they can never me memorised.

• @Jacob said: I can issue a entire /64, I call it wasteful

Depend how you look at this. I call it more wasteful if you keep it instead issue it because it's still wasted just no one use it. Once you get /48 or something, every /64 from your subnet is wasted already.

• Evorack and Stylexnetworks did give /64 :)

Thanked by 1gkz
  • klikliklikli Member
    edited September 2012

Maybe one day domains will end-up being IP's. So my IP could be 123456.lax.ca.comcast.com -_-

• @klikli said: Maybe one day domains will end-up being IP's. So my IP could be 123456.lax.ca.comcast.com -_-

uh what.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2012

@klikli said: Maybe one day domains will end-up being IP's. So my IP could be 123456.lax.ca.comcast.com -_-

One day as in 1983? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Alex_LiquidHost said: and to make sure they can never me memorised

You can memorize IPv4 addresses?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@joepie91 said: You can memorize IPv4 addresses?

If you use them enough :P

Firewall/DCHP 192.168.0.1
    Mac server 192.168.0.63
    Win7 KVM 1-3 192.168.0.210-212

Granted those are easier to remember than most public subnets :P

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited November 2012

You ever need more then /64 ? That's like 18 quintillion addresses, they couldn't give you less short of just putting a single /64 on a node and giving out individual addresses.

PS: Even if you can't find an LEB provider to give you a /64 you can easily add one of your own via an he.net tunnel for free.

@Alex_LiquidHost I don't have much of a problem memorizing 2001:470:c:974::a:deaf:dad

@joepie91 I do every day if most of them share the first three subsets.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited November 2012

dupe

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2012

@kbeezie oh not another one... All this was discussed so many times before at LEB/LET. Who cares about quintillion addresses, we're talking about /64 IPv6 subnet not individual addresses from old IPv4 perspective which people still can't get rid of when they talk about IPv6. (quick reminder: one individual IPv6 blacklist = complete /64 blacklist, /64 minimum for auto assigment/SLAAC, RIPE RFC about minimum allocation per device... )

@rm_ said: A /64 is not stupid, it's the only way to have a SLAAC autoconfigured VPN on IPv6.

You don't laugh at people running VPNs, do you.
    Also for example I have a /48 on a 2 EUR VPS and use this as my own personal "tunnelbroker.net" just for me, to get v6 access where I otherwise wouldn't have it.

@rm_ said: I can understand the merits of your POV, but I'd still say tunneled v6 can:

1) reflect badly on the provider; besides the "not the real thing" objection, basing your whole v6 connectivity for your PAYING CUSTOMERS upon some other unrelated company's FREE SERVICE does not look professional at all;
    2) cause connectivity issues; a third party tunnel server is one more point of failure, besides, ask around how's HE.net reliability on some of the tservs, the answer may surprise you not in a good way;
    3) harm demand for native IPv6; a tunnel being perceived by many as "good enough" could cause the provider to stop persuading the DC to offer native v6.

(from recent LET IPv6 tunnel discussion)

• @Spirit yes I already know you're talking bout /64, though not sure why having a LEB VPS with a /64 acts as a tunnelbroker replacement, it's just simply a VPS where a native IPv6 block is provided to a single VPS, are any of the ones listed so far reliable at LEB prices?

edited November 2012

@kbeezie said: why having a LEB VPS with a /64 acts as a tunnelbroker replacement

• privacy -- you decide how you route that /64 to your home, could be an encrypted VPN like OpenVPN or Tinc;
    • performance -- you can run your VPN with compression, which will help on 3G or otherwise slow connections;
    • a non-HE.net netblock -- 2001:470::/32 is already banned in a number of places;
    • NAT compatibility -- if your ISP doesn't provide you a 'real' IPv4 address but only a NATed one, you can't use a HE.net tunnel at all, but you can still use a VPN;
    • etc.

@kbeezie said: are any of the ones listed so far reliable

Many LEB providers are indeed much more reliable than HE.net tunnel servers (which are DDOSed every other day, and sometimes bork up in some way and a ticket reply from [email protected] takes many hours). And e.g. just today I had to migrate an IRC bot off a he.net tunnelled connection, because it had "connection timeout" and reconnected at least couple of times a day.

• @rm_

For what reason would an he.net netblock be banned? (I guess in that case good thing I already got 2607:fc50:1000:* on one of my personal VPSes and 2001:4858:aaaa:6:* at another location).

@kbeezie e.g. spam/flood on IRC, it is trivial to delete and create a new tunnel, getting a different /48. So the only recourse when this occurs for the IRC operators seems to be banning 2001:470::/32 either temporarily or forever. Also he.net had to impose IRC restrictions some time ago, now only those who pass their certification test can connect to IRC from a tunnel.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited November 2012

Hrm Odd, I never had that restriction with Freenode using the he.net tunnel from home to it.

... though I am certified as an IPv6 Guru (edit: Sage now) on my account.

So I guess you could say that someone wanting to use an IPv6 block outside of he.net due to being banned, are probably using them for purposes that I wouldn't even want to host them (spam/scam/etc)

edited November 2012

@kbeezie said: someone wanting to use an IPv6 block outside of he.net due to being banned, are probably using them for purposes that I wouldn't even want to host them (spam/scam/etc)

Nope you couldn't. It goes like this: some person spammed an IRC network from HE.net tunnels e.g. half a year ago, and since then anyone using a HE.net tunnel can't connect over v6 to that network.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2012

@kbeezie Freenode is only one IRC network.

• some of the biggest IRC networks like IRCnet k-lined complete HE /32 years ago. Some IRCnet servers atm. allow it but most of them still not.

• HE itself blocked IRC usage for all newly created tunnels. (exception are old legacy tunnels and Sage certificated users)

-!- Please wait while we process your connection.

-!- You (*@2001:470:0:0:0:0:0:0/32) are banned from this server: All he.net tunnels klined - too many abuses
    -!- ERROR Closing Link: Spirit[unknown@2001:470:d6a2:0:0:0:0:0] (K-lined: All he.net tunnels klined - too many abuses

Problem with HE is that everyone can create tunnel in minute or two and if s/he get somewhere banned for abuse s/he can create new IPv6 tunnel in another minute and so on... With SixXS tunnel broker is a bit different as they are more strict with IPv6 allocation and they approve tunnel accounts manually after they check your private data however dealing with SixXS have other issues and once you get rejected for some reason it's very hard to communicate with them.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2012

I might need to setup myself an IPv6 private tunnel as I need to test many things, how are you doing this generally ?
    For example, I have at home IPv6, I have VPSes with IPv6 and a server located in Voxility/Limehost without IPv6 though they said last summer it will take 1, max 2 months (mumble-mumble) and i want to be able to access the NAT-ed VPSes there with IPv6 from home and also assign them static IPv6 addresses, while also access the IPv6 network fromt here tunneling either from VPS or from my home IPv6 enabled connection.
    Any idea on how to do this quickly and painlessly ?
    Many thanks !