Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where do you back up your family pics? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Where do you back up your family pics?

2»

Comments

• Not months. 20GB at about 512kbps would take about 4 days continuously.

• u4iau4ia Member

@rajprakash said: Not months.

I have about 800GB in use :)

• Also, I don't understand why a VPS is not cost effective. A buyvm 256 has 30GB for about $3.50/mo; even less if you pre-pay for the year.

• @u4ia Oh sorry, I got your post confused with the OP who only has 20GB. My bad.

• u4iau4ia Member

@rajprakash said: Oh sorry, I got your post confused with the OP who only has 20GB. My bad.

NP :) I agree, for 20GB a VPS is the way to go.

• In an album. Really old school.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

@sonic I have a little content management system on one of my low end boxes and 2 other low end boxes which do rsync nightly. Pretty straight forward and fairly decent backups. I have one external drive that I also sync too and I sleep well at night now. If that's too much work for you, then the best thing would probably be a cloud service like skydrive though you would have to pay to upgrade to get more space since the free service isn't enough space for the 20 gigs you have.

• I personally don't backup any files online, I simply backup my local information to my external hard drive or a flash drive.

• Facebook all day long. Easiest way to share in my opinion as well, especially for those "older folks" who aren't so savvy when it comes to some of those other file sharing sites out there. Just manage your permissions right, set aside a week for the speed that is Facebook upload for 20GB and BAAM, free hosting forever!