Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Study Finds 27 Percent of Companies Select Web Host After Word of Mouth Recommendation
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Study Finds 27 Percent of Companies Select Web Host After Word of Mouth Recommendation

PhoenixVPSPhoenixVPS Member
edited August 2012 in General

For everyone thinking that they will be flooded with new customers after freshly posting your coupon, think again. I am talking here mostly to those who are thinking to start a web hosting business and to those who just got started and all that they have going for them is low prices. Think again because you will be out of business soon if you can't give businesses (they are the best paying customers after all) a good reason to make the switch to you.

Here is the original URL to the article: http://goo.gl/WkjnB
http://www.thewhir.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/q3internet.jpg

Comments

• Or just offer $1/month VPS accounts and you'll be sold out in 24 hours. That's how things are done these days.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

$1/m? Overpriced. Thirty cents and we'll talk.

• Cheap unmanaged VPS is a horrible business model.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I know, just ask buyvm. I hear they're drowning in debt and can't even afford trips to Vegas.

That's sarcasm, for any wandering lurkers ;)

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • @toratekdotnet said: Cheap unmanaged VPS is a horrible business model.

Is that why you started in this field?

To be honest, I do not have constant specials of use coupons for selling VPS, I simply provide what I am told is excellent service. I do have a once a year special for Christmas.

• @jarland - BuyVM - "Affordable VPS's for the masses" - they could just as well have said: "Hosting for cattle" - it would have been just as accurate.

• @toratekdotnet said: "Hosting for cattle"

Have you missed your daily dose of koolaid?

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • @miTgiB Specials and coupons don't sell VPS servers, they merely tell the world that you exist. I do offer once every 14 days a deal here because I hang around this community. It is by no means our business model, and VPS servers isn't the only service that provide. Currently we are reworking our VPS plans to include one or two control panels and full time management for our customers. It is what most business are looking for anyway. When those plans will come into effect I won't be able to offer what I am offering now. Providing Xen VPS servers isn't as cheap as OpenVZ or KVM, especially since there is almost an irresistible temptation for the provider to oversell at a lower price. That was my point, I am sorry if I expressed it poorly.

• @miTgiB I was replying to his sarcasm, nm.

• @toratekdotnet said: When those plans will come into effect I won't be able to offer what I am offering now. Providing Xen VPS servers isn't as cheap as OpenVZ or KVM

Forget about OpenVZ, as I agree, but KVM? You are full of shit! Xen and KVM gear is the same, reacts the same, can be loaded to get the same effect for the client. Sure there are differences between the two, but if you take the exact same hardware, use one for Xen, the other for KVM, you will be hard pressed to make a dime more from either one while providing the same class of service to the client.

Thanked by 2DeletedUser Root
  • @miTgiB While we are running KVM on our Managed Hybrid Cloud, I am not sure if I would want to deploy it like we deployed Xen. Actually KVM is more awesome than Xen in that you can truthfully run any x86 - or - x86-64 OS on it with minimal or no issues. My problem with KVM is that because how it manages RAM it can be easily oversold. All you need is a 32GB server, two 64GB SSDs in RAID0 and bam, you got yourself a server with 96GB RAM. It will be slow, but people have tried and will continue to try to oversell the shit out of it. Also I/O isn't as good in KVM as in Xen PV, and you can't control the CPU in KVM with the same granularity as in Xen.

If you would have bothered to read the Red Hat documentation on KVM (they own the company now that makes it), you would have known that it was designed from day one with overcommitment of resources in mind. It wasn't designed like that for the web hosting industry, but for the Enterprise market.

So I am not full of shit, but I guess you either misunderstood me or I didn't communicate my idea well enough.

• @toratekdotnet said: If you would have bothered to read the Red Hat documentation on KVM (they own the company now that makes it), you would have known that it was designed from day one with overcommitment of resources in mind. It wasn't designed like that for the web hosting industry, but for the Enterprise market.

If you had bothered to read my answer, you are full of shit, I said to take the same hardware and provide the same spec instances for the same money, where did I say over commit KVM? I would expect you to provide the same level of service, or are you that hair brained that if you have a KVM node you must over subscribe it?

Some around here take pride in providing a superior service, not just looking superior to others.

Thanked by 2DeletedUser Root
  • PhoenixVPSPhoenixVPS Member
    edited August 2012

@miTgiB You are taking this way to personal, so please be civilized. Anyway, even if you commit the same ammount of resources (two identical servers) you will find that a single KVM VM on the KVM node can cause problems with I/O and CPU usage. Try installing 5 instances of CentOS 6 on KVM at the same time, and they won't finish at the same time, but in sequential order. I have no doubt that this will be fixed in future versions of KVM, but for now it is what it is.
    I am not a crazy Xen evangelist, but I like Xen PV. I would offer KVM any day how ever before I would offer Xen HVM, as that one is just riddled with problems. You don't have to take is so personal, we're all just exchanging opinions.

• @Zen I agree, this was meant to be something else.

• @Jack Thanks

• @Zen said: Actually I was just attempting to be funny, please shoot me now.

Ranty?

Thanked by 1Zen
  • InglarInglar Member
    edited August 2012

#ranty ^ ^

• @Jack Alright, I just sent a PM to the mods.

• TazTaz Member

Overselling kvm? We don't even oversell ovz besides the obvious stuffs ( I/o, bandwidth etc). Overselling kvm is something similar to dropping dumbbells on your toe. Nightmare.

• @miTgiB said: Some around here take pride in providing a superior service, not just looking superior to others.

+1 to Tim on this. I'd prefer a bit higher prices, less promotions and simply not oversell as much. Hostigation and BuyVM has done this well.

• @Taz_NinjaHawk God forbid I have not accused anyone of doing so. I go by the principle that keeping my mouth shut is the best thing to do unless I know something for certain. People tend to be very passionate about their platforms/software of choice, not just here, but in other communities as well, so spirits can run high. I apologize if I have offended anyone, it was not my intention.

@concerto49 +1 to you and to Tim. I agree with you and promotions will stop here as well. We've been working hard to add more value to our products, jumped trough hoops to be CloudFlare certified, and now we want to make our VPS servers managed. It's obvious that deals don't bring customers in, and to be honest, our main goal was to let the world know that with exist by providing coupons, and not necessarily to bring in volume.

I appreciate everyone's opinions and feedback, as that is the primary reason why I am here.

• 27 comments on this "27" thread.. and closing?

This discussion has been closed.