Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ServerBear - Detailed Look at Stats Since Launch - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ServerBear - Detailed Look at Stats Since Launch

Comments

• @serverbear said: @concerto49 Yep, easier said than done. Lots of factors at play, plus we'd need permanent access to the boxes (rather than once off tests) to continue to test over a longer period of time.

You can run http://www.tpc.org/information/benchmarks.asp or http://www.spec.org/benchmarks.html. It fits more with Enterprise spec and what the larger companies would run. Please take a look.

And congrats on getting this up and going. I'm only making suggestions because I have been following this.

• @concerto49 We'll check them out, we're considering some Phoronix stuff. But people are already complaining that the benchmarks take too long :P

Cheers @FTN_Kevin

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited August 2012

@serverbear, when I first saw your script I felt a bit reserved, but honestly you made a great (and awesome) tool for everyone to use and perform a benchmark with a single command (awesome!!!) and for that I do thank you and congratulate you!

Keep up the great work!

Love,

-Lord Pie

Thanked by 1telephone
  • Just would like to put love out there for server bear.

Just benched three servers today, awesome way to know how your server perform!

• Virgin use BT Lines and that is about it, as BT was forced to open its infrastuctre to other competitors.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/broadband/8050218/Virgin-to-use-BT-lines-to-deliver-super-fast-broadband.html#

Talk Talk, Be, etc.. all use BT Lines, pretty much everything.

@Zen said: Go with Virgin - Using BT's lines (reseller!)

• @serverbear: Cool site idea. I'd toss in another vote for making full benchmarks available to people instead of just the executive summary. I'm sending in one for a 256 BuyVM KVM in Buffalo right now.

• @Soylent said: I'm sending in one for a 256 BuyVM KVM in Buffalo right now.

It's done, you'll get your own report emailed to you.

• We also added IOPS & Location info to these pages until we come up with a better solution for showing more benchmark info about each plan - http://serverbear.com/9806/digitalocean#view-benchmarks

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@serverbear said: We also added IOPS & Location info to these pages

How is the location determined? For one of our benchmarks it shows California (we only have servers in Florida).

• @KuJoe said: How is the location determined? For one of our benchmarks it shows California (we only have servers in Florida).

Done via GEOIP. Not always accurate, but most scalable way of doing it. I had accidentally assigned a Hostigation bench to your plan, fixed now!

• serverbearserverbear Member
    edited September 2012

Hey guys, just a heads up.

We've taken a lot of feedback on board & we now allow you to browse through the public reports.

Example: http://serverbear.com/9773/hostigation#view-benchmarks

Quite a lot are still set to private, I'm just sorting through them over the next day or two. Moving forward you can set in the benchmark modal whether you want the report to be kept private or now.

Thanked by 2NanoG6 Oliver
  • NICE!! Keep up the good work @serverbear ;)

• Just doing 3x vr.org (India, NL, US) :)
    (Can i do all for EDIS as well or am i not allowed as i am biased? I promise i just create them, run it, and dont use a special testing node.)

• @William said: (Can i do all for EDIS as well or am i not allowed as i am biased? I promise i just create them, run it, and dont use a special testing node.)

Most hosts supply their own set of benchmarks for plans.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@serverbear said: Most hosts supply their own set of benchmarks for plans.

I am sorry, but I wouldnt trust those (in general, not related with what William said, i trust him).
    Is it possible to make it clear which is which ?
    M

• @Maounique said: Is it possible to make it clear which is which ?

We could, I check everything before it goes on the site (plans & specs match etc).

• Yes, i think it makes more sense if @ServerBear runs the tests himself. Otherwise the results should not be trusted much.

edited September 2012

@rds100 said: Yes, i think it makes more sense if @ServerBear runs the tests himself. Otherwise the results should not be trusted much.

This does not take into consideration the case when the host offers a VPS on an empty node. Users must do it and even so, the host can make a fake user...
    it will be unfair for the honest hosts I think.
    M

• @Maonique well, yes - volunteering users of a specific hosts can from time to time (i.e. maybe once a month) rerun the tests and resubmit the results to @ServerBear for comparison (or just give him access to rerun the tests).

• @rds100 said: Yes, i think it makes more sense if @ServerBear runs the tests himself. Otherwise the results should not be trusted much.

Is not scalable, we aggregate the scores for runs from users, so over time you get to see more of a picture. One test means nothing.

Example: http://serverbear.com/9744/buyvm#view-benchmarks

• @serverbear if possible make the users also submit the node on which they are as performance usually varies from node to node.

• @rds100 said: @serverbear if possible make the users also submit the node on which they are as performance usually varies from node to node.

Most users won't know, we have that information in the tracert so we'll try to pull something out for the plan pages.

• Nah you don't, we have no nodenames or IPs in the Traceroute - Both VRS (Linux-VServer) and KVM are bridged directly into the network and the next you see is the .1 (normal) or .3 (VSRP)...

• @serverbear: The new layout is SUPER!

The 4-piece front page is fantastic, and most of the redirects have been fixed. Still one problem:

The only workaround at the moment is to
    1. remember the name of the plan
    2. click on the provider
    3. go to benchmarks
    4. search for the benchmark

Ideally, by clicking on the plan we should arrive directly at step 4!

But definitely, keep on the good work, it's already an amazing website!

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

:D Filtered by IOPS perhaps?

Thanked by 1TheHackBox

I have a feeling it is abused, Uncle is not always number 1 !!!
    Dam chiterz !
    :P
    M

• zserozsero Member
    edited September 2012

@Nick_A said: :D Filtered by IOPS perhaps?

Yes, it is!

@serverbear:
    Actually Host Virtual is missing from that lins with 93625 IOPS as it's somehow not considered to be using SSDs.

And VZSSD2 @ IperWeb is missing from this link for I have no idea what reason.

Please make a warning that it's OK Unixbench is going to take about 40 minutes on a multicore system! I really thought that something bad happened to the script.

• zserozsero Member
    edited September 2012

VZSSD5 @ Prometeus done. 19500 IOPS
    http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2012/09/22/IFc4iet9klkTfCAJ

I've just moved from my old provider having 7! IOPS to this package. A bit of a jump.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@zsero said: VZSSD5 @ Prometeus done. 19500 IOPS

Software RAID? Their DD looks like it.

• AFAIK they use SAN, but let's ask @Prometeus