Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proliant DL160 G6 - How to add iLO/IPMI access?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Proliant DL160 G6 - How to add iLO/IPMI access?

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited August 2012 in Help

So I bought my first dedicated server off EBay:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/sm/WF06b/15351-15351-3328412-3328421-3328421-3884343-3919124.html?dnr=1

And I was not aware this morning until DC checked and told me it does not have iLO. I was under the assumption that all G6 comes with iLO so I did not ask before my purchase (my bad).

So my question is, what option do I have at this point?

Getting a iLO card does not seem to work since according to this page:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/remotemgmt/lightsout100i-advanced/index.html

Not available on ProLiant 100 series G6 servers

Can I buy an IPMI card separately?

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

You can get some kind of KVMoIP module

• The card is an additional port if you don't want to share it on one of the embedded NIC ports. IIRC, you should have iLO 'shared' on NIC1.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2012

@Zen said: I'm pretty sure iLO needs to be licensed anyway.

This, without a license from HP you can't do much except login and look at the logs. I am pretty sure a G6 would come with ILO although from pictures it may be "shared" with NIC 1 and not dedicated like a DL380.

• How much would it cost? And do DC normally charge for an extra cable?

@Zen said: KVMoIP will not provide that

Some devices will. Every Spider KVMoIP I've ever used allowed mounting ISOs. Worst case scenario a DC shouldn't charge you to burn an ISO to a CD and pop it in the drive (just have them remove it when you're done so it doesn't try to boot to it on reboot).

@Zen said: Generally my recommendation is to work it out with the DC, I'm 100% sure they will be happy to help you with whatever you need.

+1. Most DCs I've worked with will provide KVMoIP free for the first hour unless the demand is high then it depends.

Thanked by 1Zen
  • @Zen said: Well I'm assuming you want remote data mounting of some sort for installation? KVMoIP will not provide that, your best best is IPMI or as KuJoe and Damian said see if it is shared on NIC 1.

Correct...so what should I order? an IPMI card and plug and connect to NIC1?

• Found this thread online:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/Can-I-upgrade-my-DL160G6-with-IPMI-or-similar-technology/td-p/5659671#.UDd95aD-1IA

So basically the server would have enough space that I can just stick in the card in the second ethernet port? Sorry for being dumb here, my first server ever :)

• This is what the DC has told me:

I do not see an iLO port. I do see where you would insert a management card for this port. All I see is NIC ports 1 and 2.

So I guess I would need to work with the DC to get the iLO ordered and second cable plugged in then, hopefully it is not going to cost me too much.

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

Hello,
    All DC provide free KVM for 2 hours with mount CD for free i guess.

• DL1XX has no iLO, only DL3XX and DL5XX.
    You cannot add it afterwards, this only works at the HP MicroServer cubes.

• @William said: DL1XX has no iLO, only DL3XX and DL5XX.

I am afraid that is not the case?
    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13247_div/13247_div.html

• Question, does anyone know where I can find if the particular model that I have bought support interface sharing so that I would only need 1 Ethernet port instead of 2?

• This option is only for the 160s that have iLO internal - For the ones WITHOUT iLO there is no card...

• @William said: This option is only for the 160s that have iLO internal

And I would assume a 160 G6 would have that?

• depends on the model, it is (was) available with and without iLO.

• earlearl Member
    edited August 2012

@William said: DL1XX has no iLO

My DL140/145 both come with LO100i, not iLO but Lights-Out 100i.. and yeah you need a license otherwise it's only good to power on/off the server, no virtual media.

@zhuanyi said: And I would assume a 160 G6 would have that?

there seems to be a slot for it.. if you look at the rear view #6. for sure it's not iLO but should be LO100i.. not sure the difference

DL160 overview

• @earl said: My DL140/145 both come with LO100i, not iLO but Lights-Out 100i

This is what I got too and yes, you can share the interface and visit via different IPs.

• Semi-offtopic: What's the difference between LO100i/iLO?

• earlearl Member
    edited August 2012

@DimeCadmium said: Semi-offtopic: What's the difference between LO100i/iLO?

There does not seem to be much.. probably just a naming scheme for the budget line dl100 series and iLO is for their premium line dl300 series and up..

But the similar thing is without a license there is very limited function.. only system logs and power on and off..

edited August 2012

ILO is Integrated Lights Out. This means it is built into the system (i.e. on the motherboard, not an addon board). I'll check to see if our DL380 G3s have an addon card or not but I know our G4-G7 are on the motherboard.

• earlearl Member
    edited August 2012

@KuJoe

Yeah I think your right.. my DL360 G3 has the iLO embedded.

Actually I saw you have a lot of Dell's do you like them better than the HP's?

@earl said: Actually I saw you have a lot of Dell's do you like them better than the HP's?

We use Dells at SD and I prefer them over HP due to costs. At my day job we're strictly an HP house so we have hundreds of millions of dollars worth of HP equipment. If money was no object I'd prefer HP over Dell. :)

Thanked by 1earl