Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon Glacier - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Amazon Glacier

2»

Comments

• Maounique,

Tapes these days are generally large SATA/SAS disks. Think of it like eSATA on a server(in some cases it is).

Unfortunately if that is the case, the it is a single disk being shared and has the possibility of the data being lost, even under the most perfect of conditions =(.

• @Maounique

Amazon Glacier is designed to provide average annual durability of 99.999999999% for an archive. The service redundantly stores data in multiple facilities and on multiple devices within each facility. To increase durability, Amazon Glacier synchronously stores your data across multiple facilities before returning SUCCESS on uploading archives.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Aha, thanks :) I will think of it, ATM I have the backup in another house in another town, might be worth it 50 cents a month or so for peace of mind. Or even free :)
    M

• dnomdnom Member

Nowhere it says on their site that they are using tapes though.
    Also:

Amazon Glacier is designed to provide average annual durability of 99.999999999% for an archive. The service redundantly stores data in multiple facilities and on multiple devices within each facility. To increase durability, Amazon Glacier synchronously stores your data across multiple facilities before returning SUCCESS on uploading archives. Unlike traditional systems which can require laborious data verification and manual repair, Glacier performs regular, systematic data integrity checks and is built to be automatically self-healing.

I think they are using HDDs. I think they're setup is that they power off the disk(probably the file server) after writing to save on energy costs. That might explain the charge for early deletion and the waiting period before getting your data.

• anyone wants to write an app to simply upload files from bash? :p

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • @Kuro said: In regards to early (before 3 months) deletion, it appears that the cost of storing data for however long plus the cost of early deletion is equal to the cost of simply storing that data for 3 months.

Yep, and if you keep your data for less than a month, the price becomes 4 cents per gigabyte (1 cent for storage, 3 cents for deletion). Still cheaper than S3.

• KuroKuro Member

@Damian said: Yep, and if you keep your data for less than a month, the price becomes 4 cents per gigabyte (1 cent for storage, 3 cents for deletion).

Where did you read that at? AFAIK both the storage and deletion fees are pro-rated.

• When you make a retrieval request, a robotic arm grabs the tape with your data in, slots the tape into a drive, and then your data will be transferred to a hard drive ready for you to access. The 3-5 hour window is simply be the time it takes for the robotic arm to become available — if a lot of people are making retrieval requests, you have to wait in line.

That sounds awesome... lol.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited August 2012

@Kuro said: Where did you read that at?

" In the US East (Northern Virginia) Region, you would be charged a prorated early deletion fee of $0.03 per gigabyte deleted within three months. "

From: http://aws.amazon.com/glacier/faqs/#How_am_I_charged_for_deleting_data_that_is_less_than_3_months_old

It then goes down per month. Between 1 and 2 months, 2 cents. Between 2 and 3 months, 1 cent. After 3 months, I think it's free.

Pricing for storage ends up being ~$0.0003 per gigabyte per day (as defined in http://aws.amazon.com/glacier/faqs/#How_is_my_storage_charge_calculated ), so storing a 4 gigabyte archive for 7 days would end up being:

($0.0003 x 7) x 4) =$0.0084 (storage fee)
    +
    $0.03 (early deletion fee)
    equals
    $0.0384 total

Rounded up to 4 cents. Not bad, and still cheaper than S3 (even considering S3 RR), if you don't need S3's instant availability.

• KuroKuro Member

@Damian said: " In the US East (Northern Virginia) Region, you would be charged a prorated early deletion fee of $0.03 per gigabyte deleted within three months. "

Maybe they do charge you a full cent per month, but going by the way they pro-rate everything else...

Either way, still much cheaper than S3 for long term storage.

• @William said: anyone wants to write an app to simply upload files from bash? :p

I am thinking about doing this. You might contact me by PM for wishes/needs/requirements in your opinion. It will be my spare time project without a fixed deadline, but Glacier looks useful for me too :)

• Thought about setting up a full array of backup systems and offering backup space at $10 - $15 /TB monthly with FTP, RSYNC and a web based file manager... It'd be something to the effect of 4 TB drives in raid1 x 12 sets per system. This would cost us roughly $8.50 per TB plus support per month if we assumed that the systems would only last 1 year before exploding...

• @BlueVM said: This would cost us roughly $8.50 per TB plus support per month if we assumed that the systems would only last 1 year before exploding...

Would definitely be interested in LEB version of this considering it'd be available at multiple locations for redundancy. We currently just use LEB backup servers.

• https://groups.google.com/d/topic/cloudgates/Co9zWvCSqHU/discussion

Initial support for Glacier is now deployed.

Only uploads work at this point.