Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why more than one IP ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why more than one IP ?

gnelgnel Member
edited August 2012 in General

Hi, noob question here, but I'm wondering what's the deal with having more than one ip when purchasing your vps? I imagine something useful could be done with another ip as providers charge for it.. but can't think of specific usecases because maybe I just use my vps for simple things.. does it have to do with load-balancing? or as using the vps as proxy?

LowendTalk I invoke your wisdom :-)

Comments

• SSL, Minecraft etc.

• nunimnunim Member
    edited August 2012

@MrLabradoodle said: Minecraft etc.

You really don't need a dedicated IP for Minecraft or most any multiplayer pc game, its just more convenient.

SSL, non-redundant cpanel nameservers, spam, "seo", usually 1 is good, or 2 if you want to run some stuff on the other one for security reasons. I don't get why you'd need more then 2 IPs for personal use really but I'm sure minecraft kiddies dont mind paying extra for the dedicated ip when renting a server.

• @nunim said: You really don't need a dedicated IP for Minecraft or most any multiple pc game.

No, but ports confuse some players so to have a dedicated IP is a plus.

Thanked by 1Randy
  • If running websites i always have 1 ip listen for http /s only and the other one listen for other traffic. Ftp ssh web panels etc. And just connect to them by ip targeted attacks are less likely to happen then.

• gnelgnel Member

How is useful more than one ip for SSL ?

• @MrLabradoodle said: No, but ports confuse some players so to have a dedicated IP is a plus.

Minecraft supports SRV records now so there is no need for dedicated IPs anymore.

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • @gsrdgrdghd said: Minecraft supports SRV records now so there is no need for dedicated IPs anymore.

There is. What if the user wants Votifier, DynMap etc. which requires their own port?

• Vanity hosts, i.e. for IRC. Although i can imagine most people would use ipv6 for this nowadays.

• @SimpleNode said: What if the user wants Votifier, DynMap etc. which requires their own port?

They can get their own port. I'm sure they don't have a hardcoded standard port.

• @gsrdgrdghd said: They can get their own port. I'm sure they don't have a hardcoded standard port.

Correct, however some server ranking websites do not allow you to use a custom votifier port, and some less known plugins do not allow you to change ports.

• @gnel each ssl certificate requires its own ip address.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

one IP management and one public services.
    Not that I recommend it, but saw in practice. And, to quote someone's quoted reason for another IP: "if my VPS crash I can use the other IP".
    M

Thanked by 3klikli Amitz Roph
  • KuroKuro Member

@Corey said: each ssl certificate requires its own ip address.

No, it doesn't, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Name_Indication

If you're still using IE6 you've got worse things to worry about :P

• @kuro it's not what we use... it's what the customer uses.

• "Our website shows up in IE fine. So it's not my problem. Switch to IE, sir."

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

@Corey said: @gnel each ssl certificate requires its own ip address.

No really, SSL desn't require dedicated IPs.

• @key12 said: No really, SSL desn't require dedicated IPs.

who told you that? it dose require a dedicated IP unless you are installing it on the hostname

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2012

@Randy said: who told you that? it dose require a dedicated IP unless you are installing it on the hostname

No, If you are using WHM/CPanel can be installed, just use nobody instead of account username.

• Troll of the year.

• @Randy said: it dose require a dedicated IP

Thats wrong, every major browser supports SNI nowadays.

@Randy said: unless you are installing it on the hostname

I'm sorry, what?

• SoylentSoylent Member
    edited August 2012

The cluelessness just flows off of him in waves. I'm going to have to buy a dosimeter to make sure I'm not soaking up dangerous levels of radiation.

• if you are using Cpanel/WHM , you dont need a dedicated IP to install SSL on the hostname, that is what i meant

• DimeCadmiumDimeCadmium Member
    edited August 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: Thats wrong, every major browser supports SNI nowadays.

Sure - if you pay extra...

edit: scratch that, wrong technology.

Thanked by 1Randy
  • @Kuro, @key12, @gsrdgrdghd

The combination of Windows XP + IE will get you disastrous result. Of course, unless you have a way to force all the corporate customers to fix it.

• for security reason. listen only to ip that you don't use for web server, mail server etc. and also for vhost :p lol

• lbftlbft Member

@Kuro said: If you're still using IE6 you've got worse things to worry about :P

SNI doesn't work on any version of Internet Explorer on Windows XP. That's a significant proportion of the browsers in use today.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

I remember some people on the internet claimed that having multiple ip addresses that pointed to a website caused you to get increased pageranks. I am not sure how true this is and I suspect its not true at all but thought I would mention it. As for a logical reason I can think of, perhaps you want to do 2 different services on the same port, so you would be able to bind a specific service to one ip / port and another service to another ip / same port...

• Google penalizes you for having the same content available from different URLs. So using two separate IPs isn't going to help your pagerank at all.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

@NickM Thanks for clarification ;)