Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

do you pay for github?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

do you pay for github?

DNSbedDNSbed Barred
edited August 2012 in General

I like github's service.
If you have been using github and developing the biz project, you won't make the code public.
So, will you pay for them for the private code space?
If not, what's the alternative? Thanks.

Comments

• BitBucket :)

• ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited August 2012

Nope, mainly because BitBucket allows for private repos :)

edit: damnit, @klikli beat me.

• BitBucket looks great, I didn't know it before, thanks you two.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

2x Windows VPS and PlasticSCM in a cluster

Thanked by 1upfreak
  • FieldMooseFieldMoose Member
    edited August 2012

+1 for BitBucket; if GitHub didn't have ridiculous limits I'd happily pay for it.

• flyfly Member

check out gitlab. you can host something similar to github on your own servers.

• Self hosted gitlab ftw.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • $7/mo doesn't seem that much if you're working on projects that you will make off ultimately. That's how much the lowest 5 repositories plan costs. Just my 2 cents :)

• @fly @djvdorp +1 for gitlab - I'm going to set it up on one of our KVM development servers. Looks good.

• Yep, we're maxxing out our Github plan now with 11 Repos. Here's a few reasons why I like it:

• I can edit code in Github if I want.
    • I use issues to assign tasks to my Co-founder (he's the developer)
    • I get to see what code has been changed on commits plus if he's actually fixed a specific issue with certain commits.
  • nunimnunim Member
    edited August 2012

Didn't know about Gitlab, does anyone have it setup that I'd be able to see?

Gonna check into BitBucket also, but I figure if I want to do private repository I might as well host it myself.

Looks like BitBucket has a selfhosted solution as well but they want moneyz for it.. Stash

• XeoncrossXeoncross Member
    edited August 2012

For those of you more comfortable with PHP, you can run gitlist as a web-frontend to the repos you host on your VPS.

• bretonbreton Member
    edited August 2012

No, I'll just install everything to my server. Trac, for example.

• flyfly Member

trac is a pretty good idea too.

cgit is pretty sweet as well, but it might be a little harder for newcomers to use, and it doesn't have issue tracking and stuff like gitlab/trac

• @DNSbed said: I like github's service.

Used to pay for GitHub, however moved over to CodeBaseHQ and now really looking hard at Atlassin's Stash.

• @nunim said: Didn't know about Gitlab, does anyone have it setup that I'd be able to see?

http://gitlabhq.com/demo.html

Thanked by 1nunim
  • Another +1 for gitlab. Awesome it is, sir.