Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this client servable?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is this client servable?

qtriangleqtriangle Member
edited August 2012 in Providers

A potential client approached us.
He needs to send 20k email per day.
If the IP gets blacklisted he would need a new one.
Do you think there is any way I can use service of any of the VPS providers here?

Comments

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

I don't think any VPS provider here would want that, that would mean a lot of new IP's and battling with the blacklist records to get the other ones un-listed.

• AsadAsad Member

Has he checked SMTP service providers like smtp.com?

• @qtriangle said: If the IP gets blacklisted he would need a new one.

That is a red flag, if the IP gets blacklisted, the client needs to be terminated

• qtriangleqtriangle Member
    edited August 2012

@AsadHaider said: Has he checked SMTP service providers like smtp.com?

He is not my buddy, but my potential client. So I am not going to give him ideas, coz I would like to have business, if possible without causing any trouble.

• No, no one here will host a spammer for you.

• TazTaz Member

Direct him towards either cakemail or mailchimp. Save your server from getting overloaded, save your IP from getting blacklisted.

• Well, so long as your potential client is can-spam compliant you should be 'okay'. Ask him if he is, and if he says he is, ask for proof.
    But if IPs are getting blacklisted, it's a big no-no.

Personally, I'd save the effort of dealing with the abuse reports and politely direct him somewhere else.

Thanked by 2qtriangle Maounique
  • you should really re-consider this, he might be a client, but getting your IP Blacklisted is a bad idea

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited August 2012

@qtriangle said: Do you think there is any way I can use service of any of the VPS providers here?

He's asking if any providers here are willing to rent their services out to this potential client. From what I'm seeing here, he does not own his own servers nor he rents them out to his clients.

• @HalfEatenPie said: He's asking if any providers here are willing to rent their services out to this potential client. From what I'm seeing here, he does not own his own servers nor he rents them out to his clients.

I got the impression that he was going to rent a VPS from a provider on behalf of the client, and then just set the price higher for the trouble :p

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@ElliotJ said: Personally, I'd save the effort of dealing with the abuse reports and politely direct him somewhere else.

Any spammer should be terminated as soon as the IP is blacklisted.
    M

• @Maounique said: Any spammer should be terminated as soon as the IP is blacklisted.

M

Spammers should be shot at first sight. Don't wait for your IPs to become blacklisted.

Thanked by 1marrco

As long as you know he is a spammer :)
    M

• @Elliotj and @HalfEatenPie
    You are right, I am not a LEB provider, but a regular customer of LEBs.
    I _was _ thinking of setting up a VPS for this customer.
    At my first sight it looked to me like an avoidable client, so I thought should ask providers here.
    Thanks to all for clarification.

• @qtriangle said: At my first sight it looked to me like an avoidable client

indeed. i'll take that $3/month client(s) than this $30/month client spammer..

• I have customers with 10 IPs, And more, That have a rotating mail server, but I have never seen a IP Address be blacklisted from them type of clients.

But the ones that approach you and generally ask for more IPs incase the first gets blacklisted is a big no, no.

• flyfly Member

if it's a legitimate mailing list, yes. if not, don't touch.

@Jacob said: That have a rotating mail server

Why have a rotating mail server ? You mean load balancing ?
    M

• @Maounique said: Why have a rotating mail server ?

Because Yahoo/Hotmail/Google/AOL/Comcast all have inbound per IP rate limiting

• Yea, we do this too.
    THere is no way to avoid doing it when you have over a certain amount of users...

Thanked by 1Maounique

Thanks, I learn something every day :)
    M

• AsimAsim Member

@qtriangle said: If the IP gets blacklisted he would need a new one.

careless client? I doubt his service/email-list is legit

• I use Mailgun for email, they rock. It's much more scalable than worrying about this stuff yourself.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited August 2012

I use smtp.com, as I had about a full straight two or three weeks of where customers was not recieving invoices, and I had a few pms on here.

Spending the little extra for ensuring that emails are delivered is well worth it.

I will checkout mailgun, compare them to smtp.com

@serverbear said: I use Mailgun for email, they rock. It's much more scalable than worrying about this stuff yourself.

• @Jacob said: Spending the little extra for ensuring that emails are delivered is well worth it.

A client with more mail smarts than me helped out with my mail and it was adding an spf record for the mail host itself, in addition to the domain. Then I make solus relay through that host so hopefully everyone gets mail I wish them to get.

• Hello,

You need to monitor this closely. If a /26 or /25 gets listed by spamhaus for some reason then there will eb any unhappy clients. It is not worth the money you earn from him.

Of course we also have clients who do mailing for long term and have several classes but we do not get any complaints from them. The reality however is that you get a client who requires a clean range of IPs and then sends out tons of mail. You get blocked by every provider...

Dino

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

If it is a valid mailing list, why not?

Unfortunetely, most, if not all of the similar cases are spam-related

• @qtriangle: Maybe our price wasn't so bad after all?

• qtriangleqtriangle Member
    edited August 2012

@Damian said: Maybe our price wasn't so bad after all?

Agree :D

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I am sure a few would as long as your client can provide an opt-in list + evidence to you and you can pass that on to your host, there would probably be a premium add-on for the white listing work that is probably guaranteed.

Not all bulk mailers are spammers, the ones that cannot provide any evidence are the ones to avoid.