Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM with Windows Server License?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM with Windows Server License?

concerto49concerto49 Member
edited August 2012 in General

Looking for a KVM with an included Windows License since I assume VPS providers can access volume licensing for better prices. I'm up for offers. Anything 1024mb and above please.

Otherwise, does anyone know where to get discounted Windows Server licenses? I did look before posting. Can never buy a VM from BuyVM until they have stock. That aside, I'd like to know who else does something close or similar.

For more information... it is a .NET application I intend to run and needs SQL server etc...

Thanks.

Comments

• Have you checked out VPS6.NET? https://vps6.net/vps-windows.php

I had a small hiccup with their network over the past few days (it was on my node only, of course :@) but they were nothing short of amazing in getting it fixed. I haven't used their windows service though, but you should stop by live chat tomorrow.

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited August 2012

prometeus / sonicvps

sonicvps - have stock only for 2GB plan ( 1 available)
    prometeus - 20 available order link (also : BIZWIN35 for 35% recurr discount )

• Hi concerto49,

Would Hyper-V work? We offer Hyper-V Windows VPS here: http://www.urpad.net/windows-vps.shtml

Thanks!

• vps6netvps6net Member
    edited August 2012

@winston said: Have you checked out VPS6.NET? https://vps6.net/vps-windows.php

I had a small hiccup with their network over the past few days (it was on my node only, of course :@) but they were nothing short of amazing in getting it fixed. I haven't used their windows service though, but you should stop by live chat tomorrow.

Thanks for the recommend! :-)

We do have Windows available, though it is hosted on Xen HVM systems, which differ from KVM systems slightly. The difference is negligible from the client side, and I believe there are actually more features available for clients in SolusVM to control HVM containers.

Server 2008 R2 Web Edition is included free with our Windows VPS plans, though we could throw in Standard if you ask nicely. In regard to finding discounted Windows licenses, I've never seen any and I'm not sure how much luck you would have looking, as Microsoft's SPLA requires license keys be kept within licensees' datacenters.

• RandyRandy Member
    edited August 2012

Check out mine;-) lowest price you can get + instant setup
    my server runs on XEN

• If you want cheap windows license i guess we can work out somthing

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited August 2012

https://www.prometeus.net/billing/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0

edit: you can upgrade ram for 1gb+ memory.

• Thanks for all the responses. Will be looking at them all. Interesting how much more expensive Windows becomes.

• mine was never expensive. :) and yeah, its getting more epensive and expensive

• SonicVPS +1

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I dont think 7 $ is expensive...
    https://www.prometeus.net/billing/cart.php?gid=12
    If payed quarterly it is at LEB prices.
    Sure, costs more than Linux, it also uses more resources...
    Have you thought about mono ?
    M

• @Maounique He needs to buy more ram, as the default iperweb vps has only 512mb and he needs 1gb. Not sure how much will that total to. but still not expensive i guess

Thanks, I read that, i was just commenting on the fact that windows is getting more expensive.
    It was never cheap because of licensing, the virtualization and resources required.
    I don't think it is becoming much more expensive, rather linux is getting cheaper.
    M

• up2vps is looking good, but don't know if they are reliable. Interesting that most of the cheaper KVM offers are from Euro and US.

It can be XEN, KVM or anything - as long as it works. Sorry that I thought of KVM first.

@Maounique said: Thanks, I read that, i was just commenting on the fact that windows is getting more expensive.

Would Prometeus/iperweb kindly be able to offer me a higher tier plan with 1gb, i.e. something closer to the other providers mentioned here. Would save me creating another account and having things managed together by 1 trusted provider. Currently starting to get too many accounts.

I'll be likely to get 1 for trial and then purchase more accordingly. We do need more than 1 VPS.

• @concerto49 said: up2vps is looking good, but don't know if they are reliable.

I had service with them for about seven or eight months in Seattle. The node only went down once or twice and the network was decent, though the people at the helm do not exactly have the best grasp on English.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@concerto49 said: Would Prometeus/iperweb kindly be able to offer me a higher tier plan with 1gb, i.e. something closer to the other providers mentioned here. Would save me creating another account and having things managed together by 1 trusted provider. Currently starting to get too many accounts.

Biz Windows
    https://www.prometeus.net/billing/cart.php?gid=11

you can customize it (cpu, ram, disk, bw) to suit your needs and using the code BIZWIN35 you will get a 35% recurring discount
    :)

• edited August 2012

For a Windows Server, I would recommend Prometeus and SonicVPS.

I have tried several WIndows from many Providers, but it's only Prometeus which is'nt lagged at all. They in Italy, but having fast access to me in Indonesia. And also, the port speed is the best, stable at 100mbps, but sometimes could reach 300mbps

Some providers in US which is using KVM and Xen HVM still far far away compared to Prometeus.

• u4iau4ia Member

Prometeus is located in Italy, and SonicVPS is in San Jose, CA.
    I recommend them both.

edited August 2012

BTW, all datacenter editions are included, so if you need standard edition or web editions, they should be able to provide it. It is same licence per cpu socket, but it depends what you need it for. Rule of thumb, if you dont need x feature, buy the lowest footprint one that includes what you need, will move fast in lower ram.
    M

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • why not give me a try? custom qoute? yes,

• pcanpcan Member
    edited August 2012

@Maonique said: buy the lowest footprint one that includes what you need, will move fast in lower ram.

Windows server editions are differentiated by the type of services you can run, the type of client access licenses you need, and the maximum hardware supported. There is no difference on memory or CPU footprint between editions; any difference only depends on the services and roles you install. The whole "edition" concept on Windows server is only a commercial issue, with no technical implications.

As proof, you can easily convert any Windows 2008r2 server license to a higher grade license (Enterprise, as example) using a standard shell command from a elevated command line prompt:

DISM /online /Set-Edition:ServerEnterprise /ProductKey:XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Simply supply the new product key on the DISM command line, reboot the server and the OS will be automatically converted from web to standard, enterprise or datacenter. This is fully supported by Microsoft, of course, but the product key need to be properly licensed.

For reference: DISM /online /Get-CurrentEdition shows the current edition and DISM /online /Get-TargetEditions lists the entitled editions.

• @Maounique said: web editions

I think the web edition is going away this September, i.e. removed from the SPLA offering list.

• RandyRandy Member
    edited August 2012

its not gonna be removed, if you buy from a DC :) that is

• @concerto49 just gave you a PM... :)

• Thanks for all the offers/suggestions. This can be closed. I'll work it out from something here and the PMs. Thanks again.

• @Randy 4 posts in one thread trying to get the sale when 0 questions have been directed at you by OP, nice going.

Thanked by 3jar Taz Boltersdriveer
  • Just to be curious, what would be the difference in price for a KVM without the Windows License? Is it really costly?

@Taylor said: @Randy 4 posts in one thread trying to get the sale when 0 questions have been directed at you by OP, nice going.

Poor Randy. Ok will discuss with Randy on PM to see what Randy has to offer.

• Bought Randy Windows VPS yesterday, and it's going nice :)
    Friendly support :D

Thanked by 1Randy
  • TazTaz Member
    edited August 2012

@ErawanArifNugroho said: Bought Randy Windows VPS yesterday, and it's going nice :)

Randly support :D

FTFY :P