Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hostigation discontinued backup plans...bummer
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hostigation discontinued backup plans...bummer

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
edited August 2012 in General

Maybe I missed a discussion here, but it looks like @mitGib has discontinued backup plans...

https://hostigation.com/?page=Backup

Bummer! They were a cost-effective solution. Of course, SecureDragon and BuyVM still offer backup plans.

Comments

• Please remove the www from the link, my cert is not valid for www, only without, my newb detector ;)

• flyfly Member

\o/ finally got a validated cert!

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

C'mon I was just about to order one of the smaller once this friday -.- .. Just my luck again

• I was going to order one yesterday, too.

• @fly said: finally got a validated cert!

What? I've had a valid cert on the site since 2006

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@miTgiB said: Please remove the www from the link, my cert is not valid for www, only without, my newb detector ;)

Done :-)

• Hmm, why discontinued? Wasn't it worth it (profit and trouble wise)?

@miTgiB said: Please remove the www from the link, my cert is not valid for www, only without, my newb detector ;)

BTW, I think you have a stray less-than in your td tags on that page.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited August 2012

@raindog308 said: BTW, I think you have a stray less-than in your td tags on that page.

/me blames @maxexcloo

EDIT - Found it, was my fault

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2012

They weren't all that interesting in the first place. At the lower end you can find "non-backup" VPSes offering matching amount of space, at the higher end it gets destroyed by the Kimsufi 2G, and the middle range loses to the TORQhost Storage plan http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/torqhost-e15year-128mb-kvm-in-estonia/ which is about 2x to 4x cheaper, depending on whether you are okay with paying yearly. Also all of these alternatives come with more RAM and impose no silly restriction that "you can only run backup software on these".

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

It's a merciless market...
    However, every provider that leaves it means less competition.
    Me sad.
    M

@rm_ said: They weren't all that interesting in the first place. At the lower end you can find "non-backup" VPSes offering matching amount of space, at the higher end it gets destroyed by the Kimsufi 2G,

No.

120GB for $4/mo from a reputable provider? 210GB for $7/mo? Show me.

For what Torqhost charges (5E/mo which I think is around $7/mo) for 50GB you'd have gotten 210GB at Hostigation.

Kimsufi 2G is not a consideration because it's a single, non-RAID drive.

• birdie25birdie25 Member
    edited August 2012

Storage Level 1 Monthly
    128MB Dedicated Ram
    200GB Raid 50 Diskspace
    500GB Bandwidth
    100mbit Port
    1x IPv4 Address
    SolusVM
    €5/Month, Direct Signup

That's the torqhost storage plan. It's 200GB RAID50.

Thanked by 1rm_
    edited August 2012

@birdie25 pointed out which TORQhost plan I was referring to.
    It's 5 EUR/mo or 30(!) EUR per year for 200 GB.

@raindog308 said: Kimsufi 2G is not a consideration because it's a single, non-RAID drive.

Does not matter for a backup storage all that much.

• @raindog308 said: 120GB for $4/mo from a reputable provider? 210GB for $7/mo?

If those were the plans selling, I would not have exited. But my idea was offer something small to get you in the door, over time you would grow into it. Reality is those small plans almost never upgraded over a year, most just never used the space at all and let the service laps. A few did upgrade as their needs increased, and will further increase over time I imagine. If you read the notice on that page, I am not getting rid of anyone, if you have a backup plan, you can keep paying for it as long as you wish to keep it, even that 30gb plan, I am only no longer accepting new customers for the backup plans.

@rm_ said: Does not matter for a backup storage all that much.

We have a different attitude toward data.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@raindog308 said: We have a different attitude toward data.

Yeah, everyone has a different thing :) I usually backup on production machines somewhere else where i have space. At work have special backup server with RaidZ2, tho.
    M

edited August 2012

@raindog308 said: We have a different attitude toward data.

Dunno about that, I backup important stuff from my 6x2TB RAID6 to a 5x1TB RAID5 at home.

But really, it's not such a big deal if some backup disappears, as you still have the master copy of everything and can re-create the backup reasonably quick. Besides, I doubt that the backup on this random remote server was your only backup strategy anyways (if it was, you're Doing It Wrong). And of course don't forget the fact that KS2G is several times more cost-effective than any similar solution (1TB usable space dedi) that would also feature RAID1. So I believe that all things considered, it is very attractive as a backup server, despite having no RAID.

• @rm_ said: despite having no RAID.

Ah, but it does include 100GB of FTP space - FTPFS comes in handy :)

• @rm_ impose no silly restriction that "you can only run backup software on these

you can only run backup software on torqhost

• Sigh. I wanted to get one. Guess I'll just have to pay more for the normal plans or wait for buyvm to ever have stock.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@concerto49 said: Sigh. I wanted to get one. Guess I'll just have to pay more for the normal plans or wait for buyvm to ever have stock.

Alloc PE / Size 4236800 / 16.16 TiB
    Free PE / Size 762873 / 2.91 TiB

Storage always goes to people on IRC before the general public. All things are pointing at NY + other stock releasing next Friday (17th)

Francisco

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited August 2012

@Francisco said: Storage always goes to people on IRC before the general public. All things are pointing at NY + other stock releasing next Friday (17th)

I did look at buyvm stock earlier for storage. Was out of stock. Will likely be moving a few VPS to buyvm both locations along with storage for backup. My current ones have too much downtime / are slow. Hope stock comes soon. I have been on buyvm IRC, but IRC being IRC it's full of unrelated chat :p

Was going to move to Hostigation minus the lack of storage, but maybe will still get some. Running some webapp clusters anyway and need a few more nodes.

• @concerto49 said: I have been on buyvm IRC, but IRC being IRC it's full of unrelated chat :p

I think you missed the entire point of IRC.

BuyVM IRC is for the community not for support (although at times support is given)

• @miTgiB said: Please remove the www from the link, my cert is not valid for www, only without, my newb detector ;)

You can do a redirection rule in .htaccess to 301 redirect the www version to non-www, otherwise customers are going to get the nasty "this site has no valid security certificate" error.

• @serverbear said: therwise customers

I have never advertised the link with www, why would anyone add it? Hence, my newb detector. Although I am quite tired of the argument and will just buy the cert for www this December when it is time to renew.

• @miTgiB: but Tim, I want everything done for me for the price of an unmanaged server. But Tim, I wan't 200 dollars worth of hardware for 50 dollars! But Tim, I want 1 minute response time on support tickets but you only provide 2 minutes.

But Tim!

• AsadAsad Member
    edited August 2012

@serverbear said: You can do a redirection rule in .htaccess to 301 redirect the www version to non-www, otherwise customers are going to get the nasty "this site has no valid security certificate" error.

Don't think that would work, it would throw the SSL error first before checking the htaccess file. When you allow the invalid cert, it would then process the htaccess rules and redirect you.

Learned this when I brought a cert and didn't put www. in the common name.

edited August 2012

@miTgiB said: I have never advertised the link with www, why would anyone add it?

Then remove the www DNS record and problem solved. Paying 2x for 2 certificates just because some noob adds "www" everywhere since "it's on the internet so it must have www", seems like giving up to the imperfection of this world :D
    Although I believed many common SSL certs come for "domain" and "www.domain" in the same cert at no extra cost, it's strange yours didn't have that.

@ynzheng said: you can only run backup software on torqhost

I do not see that in their TOS or on the product page.