Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

[Xen problem] dracut: Starting plymouth
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Xen problem] dracut: Starting plymouth

AmfyAmfy Member
edited August 2012 in General

Hello Community, I'm looking for a Xen guru/geek.

I've figured out how to install Xen on CentOS6 (I used the repo from gitco.de) and it mostly works, but I have one error left which I can't solve at myself:

If I created/started existing guest with pygrub (bootloader = '/usr/bin/pygrub') everything is fine, but without (kernel = '/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32.26-174.1.xendom0.el6.x86_64' --- ramdisk = '/boot/initramfs-2.6.32.26-174.1.xendom0.el6.x86_64.img') pygrub, it always crashes/stops working at "dracut: Starting plymouth daemon" I thought that this maybe is because of an enabled selinux, but it also doesn't work with a disabled one.

Does someone has an idea? :) - If you need more config-/logfiles just say it.

dracut: Starting plymouth daemon dracut Warning: No root device "block:/dev/xvda2" found dracut Warning: Boot has failed. To debug this issue add "rdshell" to the kernel command line. dracut Warning: Signal caught! dracut Warning: Boot has failed. To debug this issue add "rdshell" to the kernel command line. Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! Pid: 1, comm: init Not tainted 2.6.32.26-174.1.xendom0.el6.x86_64 #1

And my second but not really important question is: Why does Dom0 need a lot of memory without doing anything? (-/+ buffers/cache: 1586 5637) Dom0 needs 1.5G but nothing more than Xen-stuff is installed. (Before I upgraded RAM it only needed ~300-400MB, but that's also a lot)

I've tryed fixing all those problems the whole night - so I'll sleeping now.

Comments

• jhjh Member

@Amfy said: To debug this issue add "rdshell" to the kernel command line.

There's a hint ;)

@Amfy said: Dom0 needs 1.5G

Generally, no it doesn't. You should be able to reduce it to 512M.

• AmfyAmfy Member
    edited August 2012

Thanks for your answer! :)

@jhadley said: There's a hint ;)

Oh, yep, good idea. I was definitely too tired. I've added it and now when it failed at the same point to boot I'm a micro shell... I've googled a bit, there are also some people with a similar problem, always related to the EC2 instance - but no real solution. They all say that the harddrives' name changed from sda1 to xvda1 (but I already use this naming scheme)

@jhadley said: Generally, no it doesn't. You should be able to reduce it to 512M.

How would you suggest to do that? I've tryed xm mem-set Domain-0 1024 and now the Node crashed...

hmm, sometimes I understand now why people prefer KVM...