Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question - Minecraft Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question - Minecraft Server

PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
edited August 2012 in General

Hi

I'm running a Minecraft server on a dedi. Should I: Leave it as a dedi and make no changes, or split it up into VPS's?

Thanks

Comments

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@liam said: How much ram are you using? Cost of the dedicated sever per month?

It's an E3-1230 w/ 4GB RAM at the moment. It's from LimestoneNetworks. 50% off first month - $105 normally per month. (discounted)

• Just saying that doesn't help man :P

• What do you want to do with it? (why?)
    • What are the specs of your dedicated server
    • How much is it
    • Why do you want to split it up to VPSes?

@liam asked :P

Anyway - it's purpose was for a Minecraft server but was thinking about putting a few sites on there as well
    Specs are an E3-1230 w/ 4GB RAM, 640GB HDD
    Price is $105 per month with 50% off first month
    I've just heard that some people split it up - so I was wondering if that was the best way to go really :P

Thanks

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Don't split it up. Don't waste resources unless you have to.

Thanked by 1PacketVM
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2012

Split it. You'll get better performance if you let minecraft run with a lower resource allotment from the server.

I felt like sarcasm today :P

Hmm, not sure which way to go :P

@Zen said: Hit it.

Thanks for your constructive advice :)

• Personally, I'd say split it up. Easier to manage and easier to backup and do whatever with (if you're using any software like proxmox) therefore in the future (in my opinion) provide less of a headache.

Thanked by 1PacketVM
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Zen Then do you quit it?

@HalfEatenPie said: Personally, I'd say split it up. Easier to manage and easier to backup and do whatever with (if you're using any software like proxmox) therefore in the future (in my opinion) provide less of a headache.

That's what I was thinking. Any other opinions?

@Zen said: And then hit it.

Ok.

• @Zen said: Install proxmox 2.1, split the server up with KVM (don't use OpenVZ you would be stupid to think that you would get more minecraft functionality/performance out of using OpenVZ over bare metal) and then optimize the crap out of it. Set up automated backups and cluster that_shiz.

This

@Zen said: And then hit it.

Not this

Using the Proxmox ISO? Last time I couldn't get it to install via a clean install of Debian, lol.

• @dominicl said: It's an E3-1230 w/ 4GB RAM at the moment. It's from LimestoneNetworks. 50% off first month - $105 normally per month. (discounted)

How much discount? Sorry, that's a horrific pricing for a box that would be just used as a game server, I'd say go to https://www.securedservers.com/ and talk to them, all you need for MC is two cores, (it's dual threaded) but quad would be fine, aslong as it was more Umph(Mhz/Ghz) per core than focusing on HT.

For about $60/month I was able to get a quad core X3440 with 8GB of ram and one hard disk.

I would reccomend a similar spec,
    Get a X3440, and a singular SSD. -- Let's face it, you're not going to be hosting loads, it's one SSD that will be uber fast and you don't need multiples, you can just rsync to a backup.

And pick up 8GB of ram, they'll upgrade ram within 2 hours of requesting it.

edited August 2012

Hi,

@eastonch: Limestone Networks are one of the best DC's, and I have paid for a month now so I'm frankly stuck with it

EDIT: emailed limestone to see what they can do

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2012

I agree with @eastonch. if you need to have webhosting too, just take a 60 $ dedi like that and get a kimsufi for 20 eur to do the hosting. It will be cheaper and no SPOF :)
    EDIT: If you cant help it, fine :) then I say go Proxmox.
    M

• @dominicl said: @eastonch: Limestone Networks are one of the best DC's, and I have paid for a month now so I'm frankly stuck with it

stuck with != having to use them for a month. For that money you can easiliy get an Octo-Core and 32GB RAM. You don't need a premium/good datacenter to run a gameserver.

edited August 2012

@Maounique said: I agree with @eastonch. if you need to have webhosting too, just take a 60 $ dedi like that and get a kimsufi for 20 eur to do the hosting. It will be cheaper and no SPOF :)

EDIT: If you cant help it, fine :) then I say go Proxmox.
    M

I can help it by changing provider - but not till next month I guess. I've asked them what they can do. I don't need web hosting as I'm not a provider. For the website, I've just picked up a shared account from a UK provider.

@gsrdgrdghd said: stuck with != having to use them for a month. For that money you can easiliy get an Octo-Core and 32GB RAM. You don't need a premium/good datacenter to run a gameserver.

Wow, lol. I couldn't find anything like that. I should have looked at more budget end providers first. However, I can't get anything back from LSN anyway

@gsrdgrdghd said: You don't need a premium/good datacenter to run a gameserver.

That depends. BW quality is sometimes important, especially for wildly international servers. If it is going to be laggy or give inconsistent performance, ppl wont like it.
    M

• Yeah thats true, however Minecraft is more or less network error tolerant and is expected to lag :D

edited August 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: Yeah thats true, however Minecraft is more or less network error tolerant and is expected to lag :D

Yes, it doesn't need a FANTASTIC datacenter really. I thought that was a reasonable price. Obviously, I'm still with the old times.
    Not sure what to do now, lol....

If you can, cancel and go with a cheaper host :)
    OVH has good network, for instance.
    M

@Maounique said: If you can, cancel and go with a cheaper host :)

If I had the money to loose I would cancel and go somewhere else. Sadly, i'm not made of money.

I've emailed LSN to see if they can do anything at all - but i'm not sure really where to go from here.

@Zen said: (trust me DDoS is as often as getting spam emails nowadays)

It depends. If he had the server before and wasnt attacked, it is possible he wont be in the future either.
    If planning for a new server, however, is a different story.
    M

Yea, LSN support is certainly quick. I love their panel as well. LSN support have max of 10 minute responses from what i've seen. Generally they've been within the 1-2 minute mark which is fantastic.

Although I would like to pay cheaper, LSN seem great!

Nice, they seem excellent. I've submitted a ticket to sales to see if I can get an SSD instead though as that would be amazing for Minecraft :)

@Jack said: Most DC's allow you to mail them parts so I guess if you didn't want to pay extra /month you could do that however if it dies you would be stuck.

Yea, and I live in the UK. I'll see what they can do.

• LSN does nullroute your IPs automatically if the attack is large enough. I upgraded to a 1gbps port and they started doing it. They're only good for stopping smaller DDoS attacks.