Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opinions needed, Xen - KVM - OpenVZ - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Opinions needed, Xen - KVM - OpenVZ

Comments

• @Spirit said: More in what way?

Well I said feel not actually do haha.

Thanked by 1Spirit
  • @HalfEatenPie said: Well I said feel not actually do haha.

Exactly this is what I am trying to say :) Thank you.

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • @Spirit: although I did hear Xen is probably the most stable Virtualization technology so far. Although I personally have not confirmed it.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

So to be honest OpenVZ was never really going to happen unless someone could put a good argument forward.

What I am hearing is don't stop Xen PV just yet and KVM would be a good option.

Xen has been completely solid but I think KVM is a natural successor, and from what I hear SolusVM will support KVM templates imminently so ISO's will be optional not standard.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Go for it, sounds like uou made up your mind

@fly

waiting to hear from Snel regarding the SLA's on the new DC, if its good then I will do it fairly soon, if not then I will be putting out any new services from the UK in Wildcard Newcastle UK.

• @AnthonySmith You might want to take a look at the Rotterdam Internet Exchange data center (in rotterdam). Most of the hospitals I worked at have racks there (Maasstad, Aafje, ErasmusMC, Haga ziekenhuis, Laurens). Also a friend of mine has a rack there for his hosting... http://www.r-ix.nl/content/

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I'd say don't stop with Xen. Inception hosting has been the best Xen hosting I have been with so far.

Ovz vs KVM, I'd say KVM.

• IntcsIntcs Member
    edited August 2012

Big OVZ discounts are easier to get, everything else seems better for KVM (even some big offers too), I go more with OVZ to be honest and with providers that I trust, but I'd like to do a transform sometime, well maybe :p ..

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2012

@breton said: //_-. I know all that technical stuff.

As a buyer, I don't care about it. All I care about:
    1. Whether my apps will run and how will they run;
    2. How error-proof is this technology, i.e. how often and hard I will notice bugs;
    3. How the technology is supported by it's authors. Like considering service quality when buying a car.
    4. Goodness of overall design, whether it's considered kosher or not.
    5. Other features, which can affect me. Like memory overcommitment in OVZ.

1. Your apps will run similarly in Xen-PV compared with KVM. Xen-HVM is similar to KVM regarding apps and speed, but Xen_PV is faster especially in IO. Not to mention should be cheaper because of overhead.
    2. Xen-PV is much better tested and older technology, you should notice bugs less often.
    3. Xen is fully supported, however, redhat withdrew support from it. Debian is fully behind Xen as well as commercial vendors such as Citrix.
    4. Here I don't know what you mean by kosher. From what I see ppl go with either container or full virtualization. Xen-PV is a middle-ground, closer to full virtualization, tho. I find the design solid for the time it appeared. Now, with the power increased many folds in CPUs, we can afford to throw more power at KVM for the benefits of full virtualization, because the main bottleneck in big servers is the storage, and a lot of CPU goes wasted.
    5. I dont know what features could affect you. Regarding memory, it can be overcommited in all technologies, including VMWare.
      M
  • My vote goes to (2). Not sure about Xen, but I can't get L2TP/IPsec (VPN for IOS devices) to work on OpenVZ.

• LV_MattLV_Matt Member
    edited August 2012

Xen has been completely solid but I think KVM is a natural successor, and from what I hear SolusVM will support KVM templates imminently so ISO's will be optional not standard.

I believe its in beta now, but no template syncing is available for it yet so its a PIA.

• I'd say get rid of Xen. I've never seen much point in it. If you want cheap and Linux and don't need a custom kernel / modules, you can use OVZ for just about anything. If you need Windows or *BSD, or a custom kernel, then you can pay more and use KVM. A provider offering Xen in addition to OVZ and KVM, especially a small provider, is likely spread too thin and can't be an expert in all of them.

@LV_Matt I never bothered with SolusVM's template sync method in the first place to be honest.

@NickM The point is basically everything you mentioned before KVM was more widely available, I agree with the no point in offering them all apart from the differing price points will suite multiple markets but really its not worth the investment in that many new nodes all at once.

• flyfly Member
    edited August 2012

stay away from the openvz clusterfuck, please.

if you do go kvm, will you do upgrades from legacy xen packages -> new kvm package? Same price / a little bit more money is good.

• Vote for Xen!
    My (free) EC2 also use Xen.

• flyfly Member

ec2 is teh suck

• maybe free KVM or free OpenVZ :p

• Dont be cheap Erawan ;)

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • flyfly Member

@djvdorp said: Dont be cheap Erawan ;)

this is let....

• @fly true that, but cheap != free

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

There were quite a few free things here. We can make a special section, instead of offers, free stuff that will not sink as long as there is stock :)
    M

• Thats a decent plan @Maounique. I just dont want this to become a begger's place xD

• @fly said: ec2 is teh suck

It's free, so it is not suck.
    Even better, i never got downtime

• Why not try OnApp+KVM?

• flyfly Member

@subin said: It's free, so it is not suck.

Even better, i never got downtime

Even when aws-east got pwnt by a wimp storm?

• @fly said: Even when aws-east got pwnt by a wimp storm?

Mine is in singapore.

• :p I'm not a begger :p

That was joke :p

• @AnthonySmith
    What is your decission?
    Do you want to keep your Xen product?
    As i have interest on your US Xen.