Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Advice

2»

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@DanielM said: I have a budget to upgrade the system so why not?

Upgrading without a need to upgrade is a pointless effort. If you have the budget to upgrade, I recommend using the money for something that would benefit you or something you need.

• @KuJoe said: Upgrading without a need to upgrade is a pointless effort.

Well i would have thought a faster CPU would have been more smooth for gaming no?.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Ever heard of charity?

Don't awste your money on something worthless.

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited August 2012
    if (satisfy your ego == true & money == no clue) {
    yes, you need this. 
    tip : Upgrade to retina display and SSD 
    } else {
    You don't need this.. Be Happy
    }

• No. Upgrade to ssd if you haven't got one yet. If you do, then the upgrade is daft.

• @cosmicgate said: No. Upgrade to ssd if you haven't got one yet. If you do, then the upgrade is daft.

Now thats one thing i was considering. but from past experience they all suffered from cache problems. (Copying large files it would freeze for up)

• @Zen said: image

Then why comment noob

• @DanielM said: but from past experience they all suffered from cache problems.

Research your SSD purchase first. An SSD will no doubt be far more noticeable than obscene amounts of RAM.

• In my experience switching to ssd is the best upgrade possible. My 2006 macbook with 2gb of ram and crucial m4, feels a hell of a lot faster than my desktop with 12gb ram and a normal hard drive. Even when swapping like crazy (2gb ram is too small for os x these days) and it only has sata 1 :-).

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

If you DO have that ram, consider making a ramdisk. That will beat flat out any ssd and for a game that uses 3-4 gb of ram will do a great improvement.
    In that case, 32 gb may be justified.
    M

• @Maounique said: If you DO have that ram, consider making a ramdisk. That will beat flat out any ssd and for a game that uses 3-4 gb of ram will do a great improvement.

How would i do that in windows?

• Install Windows onto the SSD.

Just reinstall windows :P

@DanielM said: How would i do that in windows?

If you mean how to install a ramdisk in windows that is easy, if you want to install windows itself in a ramdisk, it is a bit more tricky, random tutorial on google, didnt check that myself :http://reboot.pro/10234/
    M

• DanielMDanielM Member
    edited August 2012

@Maounique said: If you mean how to install a ramdisk in windows that is easy, if you want to install windows itself in a ramdisk, it is a bit more tricky, random tutorial on google, didnt check that myself :http://reboot.pro/10234/

i forgot to update :D

Yeh i found some software shortly after my post. Its called DataRam

I think that putting windows in a ramdisk is overkill, but you can install the game tself there and make some images to load when you play it. It will help tremendously with texture lag for instance.
    M

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Is it even possible to install an OS in ramdisk? What happens when you reboot?

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited August 2012

@Alex_LiquidHost said: What happens when you reboot?

Things go crazy?

Thanked by 1yomero

The image is being written to disk from time to time and at shutdown so it commits changes.
    In general, while possible, it is too much setting up overhead, if you have a game you install it in the ramdisk, put there all temp files and windows swap (ewww) and will be blazing fast.
    M

• Silly to upgrade made... :P

• @DanielM said: did i say that? Read before making stupid comments

My comment was supposed to have the same meaning as KuJoe's, But mine was a little more blunt.

Your upgrading the RAM for the sake of upgrading, The processor is the only thing that I would upgrade there, if you really require that processing power. But otherwise nothing else is worth upgrading.

These are the latest now, but why not save the money you have now and roll it over, for when a new processor comes out, or buy something like someone said above that would have a actual benefit for you.

@KuJoe said: Upgrading just to upgrade is pointless. If you aren't using 8GB of RAM now then doubling it or even quadrupling it is a very unwise decision.

• I would get an ssd if you have some spare money. My Samsung 830 series has no issues at all and is the fastest around. And my best investment ever.

• DanielMDanielM Member
    edited August 2012

@djvdorp said: I would get an ssd if you have some spare money. My Samsung 830 series has no issues at all and is the fastest around. And my best investment ever.

Am actually looking at one of those hybrid drives but the one i have is quite fast anyways its a 7200

• The main purpose of a SSD in a laptop is the lower power consumption(?), noise reduction and shock resistance.

edited August 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: shock resistance.

Exactly, and a 7200 should not be very resistant in theory.
    Unless your laptop is not really to be taken away, just a desktop replacement and it always sits on the table powered on (in this case battery time is moot too).
    M

• happelhappel Member
    edited August 2012

@DanielM said: Am actually looking at one of those hybrid drives but the one i have is quite fast anyways its a 7200

I'm sorry, but if you experienced/are used to an ssd you find a 7200rpm drive to be quite slow actually. No matter what ssd you go with, except for storage space, it will beat the crap out of your regular harddrive in any possible way. In every day use performance of your computer is mostly dependent on how quickly your harddrive can read/write lots and lots of small files, regular harddrives suck at that. They maybe be able to achieve 2-5mb/s with random small files, where ssd's easily achieve 20-50mb/s depending on the rest of your hardware.

I wouldn't go with a hybrid drive, the performance of those is nowhere near that of a real ssd and you still have the power consumption, noise and shock intolerance...

• +1 for happel