Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Very small dedicated server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Very small dedicated server

tinyraytinyray Member
edited August 2012 in General

Is there any dedicated server with 768MB of RAM, 20GB HD and 4 CPU cores?

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I would doubt that, it does not make sense from the point of view of power usage. If you find it is likely to cost same or even more than kimsufi.
    And 4 cpu with that memory, no way.
    M

• A VPS will serve these requirements nicely, and is the point of a VPS.

Thanked by 1tinyray
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Probably but it'll cost you more than a vps with the same specs that performs better. Usually those dedicateds with low specs and low prices have really bad CPUs. There are exceptions though.

Thanked by 1tinyray
  • TazTaz Member

Raspberry pi!!!!!!!!!

• @tinyray said: 4 CPU cores?

• Yup, just for demonstrations,

• I think I saw something on SilverKnight?

• Here you go

http://www.silverknighttech.com/specials/server-specials/

Current Specials!
    Cobalt RAQ 4
    18 GB’s HD Space
    256 MB’s RAM
    10 Mbps Unmetered Connection
    1 IP
    $19.95/Month !!

Thanked by 2tinyray klikli
  • or this Intel Pentium D 3.0GHz
    250 GB HD Space
    1 GB RAM
    10 Mbps Unmetered Connection
    1 IP
    CentOS
    $29.95/Month !!

• TazTaz Member
    edited August 2012

I can vouch for SilverKnight (previously known as rubyringtech). I used to have a half rack with them. Anthony (the owner) is a great guy!

Thanked by 1tinyray
  • Are those RAQs running Cobalt Linux still, or have they been flashed to be able to load standard Linux kernels?

• @tinyray said: Yup, just for demonstrations,

No, I was talking to the other guy.

And for you. The ram is cheap, and there aren't even 512 MB dimms anymore, so doesn't make sense actually to sell something like that, and even less sense with a Quad CPU, imho.

• The only heavy point of his specs was CPU power. Which VPS will let you use 4 cores like a dedi? I doubt any CPU-intensive stuff is welcome in a place that resource is shared. Also, the kimsufi deals, and similar posts in here have like the worst CPU possible (and not 4-core).

• TazTaz Member

@Damian got no idea, was with them about 6 year ago. God know what they are upto. Anthony and his partner splitup and Sknight was born. I was able to get tony on the phone couple of months ago.

• And for which modern CPU you can find 256/512 MB memory modules (to make it 768MB total) ? This is going to be some very ancient server, with 768MB of RAM.

• @zhuanyi said: Current Specials!

Cobalt RAQ 4

Not running the Cobalt RAQ OS I hope....

Much better to splurge and get the Pentium D :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2012

@rds100 said: And for which modern CPU you can find 256/512 MB memory modules (to make it 768MB total) ? This is going to be some very ancient server, with 768MB of RAM.

That will in no way have 4 cores. Any kimsufi cpu will beat it.
    M

• @yomero, that fits some specific configurations for my applications. I look for a dedicated server because of performance stability. I dont have my hand in the production phase of my applications.

I guess I do get the desire to have a small dedi sometimes, just because even with more CPU power I always feel like a jerk pushing everything I can on a VPS, and you can abuse a dedi to your heart's content without getting suspended for abusing CPU, I/O, etc.

@tinyray What is your budget?

• Ok, then get a quad and limit the kernel to that RAM quantity at boot

• AmfyAmfy Member

@tinyray said: I look for a dedicated server because of performance stability.

Then it would be better to look for a reliable vps provider. Only because there are a lot hosts which can't manage their servers properly (in the view of overselling) that doesn't mean that there aren't providers which are able :)

• @jarland, $30/month at most, or I stop watching TV to double that much, :)

• @Amfy, the SSH application on my desktop contains a very long list of VPS. I dont think there are such providers nowadays.

@tinyray

Get this: https://www.bluevm.com/cart.php?gid=25

I've got one. I know reviews about BlueVM are mixed, but this is quality.

• Is bluevm any good?

@bdtech I always hear mixed things about their OpenVZ, but this thing is great.

• AmfyAmfy Member

@jarland said: @bdtech I always hear mixed things about their OpenVZ, but this thing is great.

Have you looked at the link which was posted?! You can't compare this product with OpenVZ...

edited August 2012

@Amfy said: Have you looked at the link which was posted?! You can't compare this product with OpenVZ...

I don't follow you. He asked if BlueVM is any good, not the product. I hear mixed things about how good they are with OVZ, but this KVM split 4 ways is great.

• TazTaz Member

@jarland another debate waiting to start KVM versus OVZ :P