Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS uptime contest - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS uptime contest

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@eastonch said: IPXCore -- 100% Uptime as confirmed by PungCM - TAKE THAT BUYVM!

And then they get dropped offline due to a 600Mbit DDoS or because 2.6.32 is complete horse shit. Take...that? Come on, don't pit me against @Damian, he's one of the few hosts around here that I actually like.

Minus a few nodes with either a bad stick of RAM or the nodes we had to perform power maintenance (coresite requirement), the vast majority are in the 100 - 130+ day uptime mark. They'd be right around the 300 mark if we didn't choose to rebase all of our nodes to debian to future proof upgrades.

Our website is under more floods than any hosting website on this whole community so the fact it stays up with minimal burps is pretty rockin' no?

Francisco

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • TazTaz Member

@Francisco Da man! You left aldryic left and even taipres left. $hits are too quiet around here.

@NinjaHawk said: even taipres left

You're welcome.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • TazTaz Member
    edited July 2012

@Francisco said: You're welcome.

@Francisco @Aldryic
    Hey I just met you
    And this is Crazy,
    But taipres left,
    So guys comeback maybe?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Maybe ppl are just busy or in vacation.
    I am very busy lately.
    M

• RandyRandy Member

what is the worst uptime you guys ever get?

• @Francisco said: website is under more floods than any hosting website on this whole community

Yea... i doubt that

• @francisco I wasnt meaning to be offensive, or even aggressive there, it was the first host that popped into my head.

Really like both providers, even though I don't currently have a BuyVM box at the moment.

I've read all your blogs and posts about how you've managed to become pretty much DDoS proof. Quite an amazing feat, i'd love to see some graphs of "attempts". :']!

• jcalebjcaleb Member

Where is his blog? I only know frantech twitter account

@eastonch said: @francisco I wasnt meaning to be offensive, or even aggressive there, it was the first host that popped into my head.

I apologize for coming off as a dick then

@William said: Yea... i doubt that

Our filtering service was down for about a day due to some failed hardware. Within 15 minutes of the route change our main website was getting ~1.5Gbit of UDP. Could people have noticed the route change that quickly? unlikely which makes me believe that we simply get a lot of burst floods from booters. The floods are never long, usually over within 5 minutes but it's nothing I really want to allow racking into our servers either :P Maybe we don't get flooded the most but before we put billing on a filtered IP we were getting hit every time we announced a stock run or simply hit 'for fun'. In fact our big stock run a few months back got postponed for a day while I got a server in place with awk. On our unfiltered side we place about ~150 nullroutes a month. Sure some are recurring (the same person getting a sustained flood), but it's still 150 nullroutes.

@eastonch said: I've read all your blogs and posts about how you've managed to become pretty much DDoS proof. Quite an amazing feat, i'd love to see some graphs of "attempts". :']!

Not flood proof, just protecting what we can along the path so there's less failure points. The one point I had to address a few weeks ago is one we knew of for over a year now but egi refused to help us address it. Once they were in a jam of 'nullroute his router or help him with what he wants' did they finally comply.

We don't have graphs because awk doesn't even have them. They're a cool company but i've had a ticket requesting ACL adjustments for about a week now w/o a single reply. It makes me think I could simply not pay my invoice and he'd be too lazy to unplug it. I may need to just tell him I want to put my own switch w/ a fat pipe just for handling my own ACL's because this whole 'waiting' game is annoying as all hell. :(

Francisco

@jcaleb said: Where is his blog? I only know frantech twitter account

There isn't one, just RFO's and announcements i'll write for my.frantech.ca for upgrades/changes/etc. You can always tell when it's myself or Anthony :P

Thanked by 2jcaleb HalfEatenPie
  • @Francisco it's fine. And yeah, I assume you'll have alot of them "HF" skiddies using random $5 booters, trying to knock off websites that are hosted on your network.

Do you ever feel the effect of it? Or does the filtering work quite well?

@eastonch said: @Francisco it's fine. And yeah, I assume you'll have alot of them "HF" skiddies using random $5 booters, trying to knock off websites that are hosted on your network.

Do you ever feel the effect of it? Or does the filtering work quite well?

Depends on the ACL's in place on the client. If they didn't request them then yea, sometimes we'll feel some of it. I've tried to be 'nice' to justin and not ringing his private number I got to get these tickets done, but that'll change later today.

If someone has UDP filtered and they get a UDP flood? won't feel it. They'd have to throw 10Gbit+/sec to a single IP to get any sort of 'Wow, thats a big flood!' kind of reaction.

SYN Is always a hard one to deal with but I'm hoping the new revision of our filtering setup will help with that a lot more. I need to get a test bed online first though :)

I'm off to bed, good night.

Francisco

• @Francisco Good night, and thanks for clearing that up. What's the main problem with SYN filtering anyhow?

• mistertmistert Member
    edited July 2012

Uptime on openVZ-VM (1,49 EUR per month):

Uptime: 433 days 18:08:44 hours

• DamianDamian Member
    edited July 2012

I'd also like to pop in here to point out that we're not selling services to break records. If clients want to enter contests, that's fine, but keep in mind that our services will never achieve months of uptimes because we didn't get in the ksplice bandwagon, unfortunately, and we would rather have newer kernels.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

And as we were talking about network uptime in the begining of this thread... Well, 150 of my IPs are unreachable, one whole vlan... Thank you Murphy. (bow)

• JacobJacob Member

PDU Uptime:
    UpTime: 86 Days 9 Hours 25 Minutes

• @mistert said: Uptime on openVZ-VM (1,49 EUR per month):

Uptime: 433 days 18:08:44 hours

You tease...

• bamnbamn Member

$uptime
    09:39:53 up 191 days, 12:43, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Hostigation

• Edis.at rebooted the very next day, happened last time i mentioned a nice uptime (from inceptionhosting) too ;)

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@bobby said: happened last time i mentioned a nice uptime

So I hope you will be so kind to NOT mention any other provider :)

• @prometeus my first ovz with you is getting close to 100 days now..

• up 81 days, 21:41

MiniVPS 128MB OpenVZ vSwap in France.

• @bobby said: Edis.at rebooted the very next day, happened last time i mentioned a nice uptime (from inceptionhosting) too ;)

Yea, KVM02 had some issues.... i blame you :p

• Hehe, you welcome. Anytime :P

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@bobby said: @prometeus my first ovz with you is getting close to 100 days now..

nooo!!!!

DISCLAIMER:
    prometeus is no more able to guarantee ANY uptime. Nodes are under the @bobby influx and will reboot/crash/die/explode with NO reason.

:(

• i reboot my vps often because of testing. is it possible to get the uptime of my hosts?

• [root@oxygen ~]# uptime
    05:36:02 up 187 days

HudsonValleyHost VPS :) - Using it as a shared Kloxo hosting server.