Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need some advice
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need some advice

NexusNexus Member
edited July 2012 in General

Hi all,

This post is more directed to people that have a small forum running, or maybe a host that can see the details about that specific user. I want to know if anyone here has ever hosted a forum on a 256/512 box?

It could be any forum, if you know the software name please it include it. I want to know how many concurrent users online (Active and refreshing) it takes, for essentially know when to upgrade. I am not sure if the ram will go up first with increased of connections, or the bandwidth first.

If anyone can tell me what you estimate on how many concurrent connections you can have with atleast 512mb ram VPS, that would be really helpful. When I say concurrent I mean "People that refresh every second".

I apologize for not being so informed about this, but I really thought this would be the best place to ask. I hope and ask for legit replies as indeed this will help my business exponentially when we open.

PS: I was looking at hostigation and the reviews I've been reading are highly credible! I was thinking to start out on their 40$/year, 256/512 plan. 1tb Bandwidth is way more then enough. I am just iffy about that 256mb and 512 and whether or not if upgrading will actually increase the allocated cpu usage so it's worth it..

Comments

• I have a 1 Mil+ visits / month forum hosted across 2 Linodes (and they barely break a sweat). There's 271 active users at the moment & the main box is:

0.08  0.07  0.11 | 269 Users Online (51 members and 218 guests)

Vbulletin

1 x 512mb Linode running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Nginx, Memcache
    1 x 512mb Linode running Percona build of MYSQL

Thanked by 1Nexus
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Dont go with hostgator, get a better VPS from reputable LEB provider.

Also, it is hard to estimate this sort of things. Even if someone gives you an estimation, it is hihgly unlikely that the things would be different on your side.

Thanked by 2Nexus TheHackBox
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I believe freevps.us runs on a LEB but I don't remember the specs. 128mb maybe? It'smybb. Ask @dmmcintyre3

Thanked by 1Nexus
  • I run FreeVPS.us on a 256mb Xen VPS, running MyBB on CentOS 6 with the latest nginx, php 5.3.* and MySQL 5.5.* versions. When running blitz.io tests, it seems to fall over only after 75-100 concurrent requests (concurrent meaning at the same time). Loadimpact doesn't even effect it. Currently there is 67 users online in the last 15 minutes, with a 1 minute load average of only 0.05.

If you are interested, you can see Munin stats here:
    http://status.d3vm.net/munin/d3vm.net/ca.d3vm.net/index.html

Thanked by 2Nexus TheHackBox
  • NexusNexus Member

Serverbear, can I get a link to your forum? Those stats look really nice.

@dmmcintyre3, Thank you for those stats, your mybb site is pretty fast on that VPS. I don't find the ram usage on that statistic page, can you please inform me what's your current ram usage? That 75-100 concurrent connection test, did it say how high the ram usage got after running? If you do not mind, could you do it for me again if you got time?

Appreciate the responses so far, seeing the 75-100 concurrent fails @ mybb with 256 is great information and knowledge to have, kudos so far! (Though, 75 concurrent is a really really "active" forum, haha)

• Memory usage graph:

It did better than I remembered it, but I did tweak it since the last test. Memory usage stayed around 150mb. Load average went up to around 8.0 near the end.
    http://blitz.io/report/56ccc17aba9b3cee74d274cad9b82eea

• NexusNexus Member

Wow, this is not what I was expecting at all. These numbers are insanely good. (Though, I don't really knew what I was going to expect!)

http://freevps.us/online.php So it's safe to say, right now you're running under 150mb with an active community posting. That is insane and I applaud you. Do you mind asking what server configuration you have? Webserver/php version/etc.

Thank you DMM.

• @dmmcintyre3 said: running MyBB on CentOS 6 with the latest nginx, php 5.3.* and MySQL 5.5.* versions

I started with my nginx/php/mysql install script, made sure APC installed correctly, then used these config files:

/etc/my.cnf (MySQL config):

[mysqld]
    default-storage-engine = myisam
    #ignore_builtin_innodb
    key_buffer = 4M
    query_cache_size = 64M
    query_cache_limit = 2M
    max_connections=25
    thread_cache=2
    query_cache_min_res_unit=0
    tmp_table_size = 8M
    max_heap_table_size = 8M
    table_cache=1536
    concurrent_insert=2 
    skip-slave-start
    tmpdir=/dev/shm
    innodb_buffer_pool_size=96M
    #innodb_force_recovery=1
    innodb_file_per_table
    #skip-networking
    bind-address = 127.0.0.1

/etc/php-fpm.d/www.conf (php-fpm config): http://pastebin.com/AXmDG5J3

You will likely find the memory usage will be higher if you use a OpenVZ VPS with 2.6.18 kernels because memory usage is limited by memory allocation instead of the actual usage.

• NexusNexus Member

Hmm DMMC, I almost had the same setup, but with lighty. I am happy to see others still use minimal ram, it makes me feel good inside.

Problem I am having, is I want to buy the hostigation 256/512 plan: https://hostigation.com/?page=OpenVZ

I've googled, I've done everything, read every review and 99% of them are great. The only issue I am having is it seems like it is being over sold? (I know not to expect much at 4$/month)

I really want to do hostigation, I am sure once my business/project grows I can upgrade with them with ease. I just need confirmation that it's not being over sold.. I really will never probably use 1tb bandwidth right now, but is that 256MB Guaranteed? and is the 512 burst or swap?

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Nexus said: The only issue I am having is it seems like it is being over sold?

Wait, how do you come to this conclusion after finding multiple good reviews? Now I never claimed I do not oversell, I only claim to not overload, but I think you need to understand the term a whole lot better before you use it. I am not going to pick a fight over it, but do you think it is fair to use the term in a negative context after all your research? I've worked very hard to provide a service that according to @jarland "just works"

I know the quarterly polls for best provider are mostly popularity contests, but I have ranked in them the past few polls, so I think I am doing something right. Even on the front page of LEB is a recent review by @maxexcloo and many followed up confirming his results of It just works.

@Nexus said: is the 512 burst or swap?

It is burst, I do not trust vSwap to be stable yet, and that is where It just works comes from, I strive for stability over everything else.

• NexusNexus Member
    edited July 2012

Over selling or not, definitely false advertising? I am not trying to say anything bad about your company, I actually gave a link to one of my friends a couple weeks ago to it and I believe he bought a package, not sure if OpenVZ or not. I am just worried about that 1TB issue for 4$ it just seems to good to be true to me. I could be wrong though... I just never seen anyone else offer that high of bandwidth before (4$/1TB). I've been looking at reviews/vps's for weeks man. Please don't tell me to use the term "a lot better" when indeed 1tb for 4$ is suspicious. But again, I don't doubt your company and your actions, it's just human nature to be a little spiffy about something out of the ordinary don't ya think? Again, I am not trying to come off to derail your company, I just simply gave my opinion about it and I am no body here, so don't be scared for anyone to actually believe it... It's just my opinion....

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Nexus said: 1tb for 4$ is suspicious.

All I can say is try it, there is a 7 day money back offer, which itself is rare anymore in the industry. You do't like it, no problem, get a full refund.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2012

A budget vps provider that doesn't oversell is a soon to be broke provider. If sold to perfect capacity ends in, let's say, 30% of your resources used month after month, it's a waste to not oversell. LEB prices are unsustainable without overselling or basement hosting. It's well understood, expected, and known to be the smart business practice. It's about who you trust to oversell the right amount and provide quality hardware. If you want a vps that isn't oversold, there are plenty, just not here.

• @Nexus You're cracking me up. You're hassling @miTgiB about 1TB/$4 after "I've been looking at reviews/vps's for weeks man".
    If you've been searching for weeks, you would know that Hostigation's offer is completely reasonable.

Depending on your client base, most users won't use all their allotted resources. This allows hosts to offer that persons spare resources.
    If you're not familiar with this concept, then look into economics. How do you think banks operate?

• NexusNexus Member

@telephone, you're 100% correct. Heck, myself wont even use a quarter of that bandwidth. It's just when something seems to good to be true, I get defensive and curious? Not sure. But I am really leaning towards hostigation at the moment. I seriously couldn't find one review that was bad, pretty crazy.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Nexus said: I seriously couldn't find one review that was bad, pretty crazy.

I don't think I have any bad reviews, but I can show you plenty of pissed off ex client posts that were fired for being abusive and abusing me after given 2nd/3rd chances.

• NexusNexus Member

My friend just pm'd me back on IM. Told me his server with hostigation is very nice. I guess he was my Guinea Pig! Btw, is Charlotte the LAX Open VZ server?

• johnjohn Member
    edited July 2012

Charlotte is a town in North Carolina. Tim is in caronet datacenter if I remember correctly.

• @Nexus said: is Charlotte the LAX Open VZ server?

LAX = Los Angeles

@miTgiB uses airport codes ;)

• NexusNexus Member

Wow, was thinking of something else, holy derp my bad.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@Nexus said: My friend just pm'd me back on IM. Told me his server with hostigation is very nice. I guess he was my Guinea Pig! Btw, is Charlotte the LAX Open VZ server?

"Hostigation is great" is common knowledge here in let