Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First time with Proxmox.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

First time with Proxmox.

cloromorphocloromorpho Member
edited March 2013 in Help

Please guys.

I need some pointers from the big shots here on LET. (keep in mind I'm a 29 years old Industrial designer, with expertise on CAD modeling and furnisher manufacturing, so, be patient.

Ok, here we go,

I kust rented las week an OVH.ca server (http://www.ovh.es/servidores_dedicados/kemsirve.xml) model KS-R8G.

1- First of all i would love some pointers on basic security, like running Proxmox web panel on local host and proper iptables config. (i don't want your security precious secrets just the basics (not fail2ban, tripwire or harden-servers, i can look that myself) i mean the known secrets of the trade :-)

2- Need a way to closely monitor VPS activity (overload, bandwidth, etc)

3- what kind of virtualization you recommend? keep in mind this are private VPS, and if the user asks for 1gram, he should get it no matter what. (total dedicated resources, and that mean CPU cap if he becomes a *dick, Because friends and coworkers can become dicks too. (certainly!!)

4- I asked for my 4 free ip fail overs. This IPS can be used to bind to the VPS?

Y really, really, really hope to get some help :D

PD: looking for open source VPS managers, and it seems the most developed is Promox. if you know something better and free ping me.

--------------------------------------------------------------/
*Becoming a "dick" was coined in this context by our own @miTgiB.

Comments

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2013

@cloromorpho said: 2- Need a way to closely monitor VPS activity (overload, bandwidth, etc)

Use the standard tools to see the CPU usage (htop/top etc) and vnstat to monitor the bandwidth usage ?

EDIT: For OpenVZ based containers, see http://openvz.org/Monitoring_bandwidth_of_containers

• thank you SeedBus all help is appreciated!!

Maybe a bash scrip that writes that info into a JSON in the web server. Then collected by an offsite PHP server so i can have an unified look of the node.

Maybe im just talking out of my ass.. xD

if I'm wrong please insult me.

edited March 2013

@cloromorpho said: Maybe a bash scrip that writes that info into a JSON in the web server. Then collected by an offsite PHP server so i can have an unified look of the node.

Should be possible, as that script makes a rrd databse/graph and you could easily export that onto another server (via rsync/scp etc) and pull into a php file to display.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Proxmox should have some graphing, im not exactly sure though. It will allow you to monitor load/cpu/etc if it does.

If you are new to the vps district, run openvz. Easiest to manage to be honest.

The failover IPs from OVH can be used, yes.

Yep, proxmox does have internal graphs, but for bandwidth, you cant get to know how much is exactly used, it just shows a MB/s or a KB/s reading.

• cloromorphocloromorpho Member
    edited March 2013

@rsk said: If you are new to the vps district, run openvz. Easiest to manage to be honest.

I dont use paid software if i can. And really not like OVZ, always with kernel mumbojambo...

I want to set up a couple of KVM boxes.

tick: Should be possible, as that script makes a rrd databse/graph and you could easily export that onto another server (via rsync/scp etc) and pull into a php file to display.

gracias amigo!!! il give it a try.

• @rsk said: The failover IPs from OVH can be used, yes.

Thanks!

• OpenVZ is free and open source ;-)

You are probably confused with SolusVM

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited March 2013

1- About security.
    The panel needs authentication via pam as default, i.e. with the unix accounts, so it can be left as is.
    Proxmox installs another services (At least the with the "Debian way", I am not sure if you have the "full iso" version and what services is running). So, probably you want to disable portmap, kill the mail service, etc.

3- I use both options, vz and kvm. It depends on what you need and generally an openvz container is enough for most tasks. But sometimes you want to use a full desktop distro, or windows, or want to try stuff that needs more kernel features, or try a custom kernel, etc. Then you will need a kvm one :P

• I geatly apreciate all the input.

Yes @BronzeByte, i was mistaken. I got confused with SolusVm, Thanks!

So after reading a bit about admin panels.

Whats do you guys think of hypervm?

Do you know about other panels or should i just stop messing arround and go with Proxmox?

• earlearl Member

@cloromorpho said: Do you know about other panels or should i just stop messing arround and go with Proxmox?

Overall proxmox is the best, but you can also try the free vmware it's pretty good too, the only thing I don't like is there is no online web console you need to download a client in order to administer vmware.

• If is private stuff and you don't need accounts for other people, the proxmox panel is cool

• Thanks guys!

I will give them both a try, vmare and proxmox.

Will update soon!

• earlearl Member

@cloromorpho said: I will give them both a try, vmare and proxmox.

Actually you can install proxmox in a vmware VM but you cannot install vmware in a proxmox KVM..