Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does CPU load in apache status actually mean?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What does CPU load in apache status actually mean?

bizzardbizzard Member
edited March 2013 in General

One of my LowEndBox seems very slow to respond to HTTP requests and so I enabled Apache Status module.

A part of its out put is below.

Current Time: Monday, 25-Mar-2013 22:36:10 IST
Restart Time: Sunday, 24-Mar-2013 18:58:05 IST
Parent Server Generation: 8
Server uptime: 1 day 3 hours 38 minutes 4 seconds
Total accesses: 101335 - Total Traffic: 1.1 GB
CPU Usage: u1.37 s.75 cu53.46 cs0 - .0559% CPU load
1.02 requests/sec - 11.2 kB/second - 11.0 kB/request
3 requests currently being processed, 10 idle workers

What does the CPU load signify exactly? For this particular VPS, at times, it goes to more than 2.0% and stays there for a long time, but the load average in uptime and top outputs are normal. Is it the reason for the slower response? If so, is there any range where it should be for normal operation? I have tried playing with apache mpm-worker configurations, but nothing went positive.

Comments

• Are you running 2.2 or 2.4?

• DamianDamian Member
    edited March 2013

Nevermind, it's irrelevant.

It's the percent of time since the server was started that it's used CPU time. It's adding together u, s, cu, and cs together, then dividing it by the uptime of the apache process.

So for your Apache uptime of 1 day, 3 hours, 38 minutes, and 4 seconds, .0559% of that has been spent processing.

The code:

#ifndef NO_TIMES
            /* Allow for OS/2 not having CPU stats */
            ap_rputs("
    \n", r); ap_rprintf(r, "CPU Usage: u%g s%g cu%g cs%g", tu / tick, ts / tick, tcu / tick, tcs / tick); if (ts || tu || tcu || tcs) ap_rprintf(r, " - %.3g%% CPU load", (tu + ts + tcu + tcs) / tick / up_time * 100.); #endif
  • Haven't seen that value above 1.0% in all my other servers. So, just need to clarify whether the maximum value for that is 1.0% or 100%. If the maximum value is 1.0% , then > 2.0%, means it will be overloaded for most of the time?