Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Understanding VPN + PS3/Xbox
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Understanding VPN + PS3/Xbox

akzakz Member
edited March 2013 in Help

so Im looking to setup a vpn to use for netflix and want to experiment using it with the ps3/xbox360. Wondering if I have the logic correct.

setup vpn on leb
connect to vpn via router
devices will be on vpn when enabled in router

my main question is does it matter which vpn you use openvpn/pptp? and if I enable vpn on the router will all connections (wired/wireless) be on the vpn as well? Or is there any way to just enable the vpn for a certain device connected?

Comments

• budingyunbudingyun Member
    edited March 2013

I have same exact setup.

1. Setup OpenVPN server on vps.
    2. Setup OpenVPN client on router.
    3. All devices on network connected to router is on vpn.
  • daviddavid Member

I use TomatoUSB firmware (Toastman build) on my router and run the openvpn client on the router. By default all devices connecting to the router would be on the vpn connection.

But it is possible to have only certain devices connect to the vpn, and have everything else bypass the vpn. That's what I do, so only my ps3 and media players connect to the vpn on the router, and everything else bypasses it. It's a bit more complicated, though.

See here for more info on the "selective" part:

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/any-way-to-bypass-vpn-selectively.33468/

• prae5prae5 Member

Easier yet, just set your dns on your ps3 to use http://tunlr.net or any similar service.

Quicker and easier for most people, unless you specifically want to use your own vpn.

• akzakz Member
    edited March 2013

yeah I was going to use it with TomatoUSB and a modified Tomato for WRT54g older router. I want a way for only the ps3 to connect to the vpn rather than all devices simultaneously. But its good to see that I am on the right track.

@prae5 said: Easier yet, just set your dns on your ps3 to use http://tunlr.net or any similar service.

Quicker and easier for most people, unless you specifically want to use your own vpn.

would this work on a openvpn on a leb?

• I have tried this setup on an older WRT54g using openvpn to connect the router to my leg, but the performance was VERY slow. too slow to be usable. The cpu on the older WRT54g router are very limited. but YMMV
    If you have a computer around the house with a little extra capacity you can setup a linux vm as a vpn router and then you just set the router ip on the xbox / ps3 to your linux vm ip and away you go.
    That is what I did in the end.
    Let me know if you are interested in this setup and I'll dig out some instructions.