Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SoftEther - Very powerful, easy-to-use, multi-protocol VPN software
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SoftEther - Very powerful, easy-to-use, multi-protocol VPN software

NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
edited March 2013 in General

University of Tsukuba published this project a few days ago.

In only a few minutes, you can have a very powerful VPN server installed and configured to connect from virtually any machine. PPTP, L2TP, and OpenVPN are all supported and the server it's very flexible for any configuration you may need.

Aditionally, you can do IPv6 over IPv4 and IPv4 over IPv6 with near-zero configuration. I think it's really awesome and more people should know about this.

http://www.softether.org/

Comments

• @Nyr so it's based on OpenVPN?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@Janevski no, but it can emulate an OpenVPN server so you can connect from OpenVPN clients (among others).

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Seems cool, thanks for sharing

• Just tried this on an idle vps

Doesn't want to install lol

Preparing SoftEther VPN Server...
    ranlib lib/libcharset.a
    ranlib lib/libcrypto.a
    ranlib lib/libedit.a
    ranlib lib/libiconv.a
    ranlib lib/libintelaes.a
    ranlib lib/libncurses.a
    ranlib lib/libssl.a
    ranlib lib/libz.a
    ranlib code/vpnserver.a
    gcc code/vpnserver.a -O2 -fsigned-char -pthread -m64 -lm -ldl -lrt -lpthread -L./ lib/libssl.a lib/libcrypto.a lib/libiconv.a lib/libcharset.a lib/libedit.a lib/libncurses.a lib/libz.a lib/libintelaes.a -o vpnserver
    /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.4.5/../../../libm.so when searching for -lm
    /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.4.5/../../../libm.a when searching for -lm
    /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libm.so when searching for -lm
    /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libm.a when searching for -lm
    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lm
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make: *** [i_read_and_agree_the_license_agreement] Error 1

• YKMYKM Member

@Fliphost said: Seems cool, thanks for sharing

+1

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member

I have the windows controller and a Ubuntu install working with SoftEther at the moment on two VMs. So far I like it.

• how do u get the vpn server gui working? From the installation tutorial it seems to be text based for linux

• @joodle said: Doesn't want to install lol

Did you read the license agreement? Kicked me when I declined lol.

This is very easy to install and seems well made.

• @cosmicgate said: how do u get the vpn server gui working? From the installation tutorial it seems to be text based for linux

I installed the server in debian and then downloaded the Windows administration tool.

• debugdebug Member

When I try to connect, I keep getting stuck on Authenticating...., has anyone had this problem? I enabled l2tp & created a user.

• kalamkalam Member

This looks very nice, thanks for sharing it! Going to install it on a test VM and give it a whirl.

• how is the memory usage?

• Anyone know how to select the external authentication using radius? That field seems to be greyed out from the admin GUI

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member

@cosmicgate said: Anyone know how to select the external authentication using radius? That field seems to be greyed out from the admin GUI

I was trying to figure that out too, took a break from it

• @HC_Ro: Looks like still a beta as it claims to be. I'm not sure if anyone got it working but tried the pptp and l2tp, and didn't work for me.

• kalamkalam Member

Default install is using about 30MB on a minimal Debian 6. The VPN Server Manager GUI for windows is very nice, but I've run into a few issues. Individual Certificate Authentication is not currently implemented, using virtual NAT & DHCP causes the CPU to spike to 100%, and L2TP over IPsec is not working.

@debug I had that problem too, I suppose they need to fix that.

@cosmicgate @HC_Ro maybe radius isn't available yet, the project was released to the public only one week ago.

• Installed it, but now i can't connect with PPTP nor IPSec and OpenVPN -.- (at OpenVPN i get auth failed bla bla) and at ipsec and pptp i just get an 800 error lol

@joodle I couldn't connect with IPSec yesterday, authentication failed.

Seems like we will need to wait to use this software :P

• @Nyr said: Seems like we will need to wait to use this software :P

sigh :P wanted to set up some accounts with a bandwidth limit for some friends
    (got a darn cheap VPS from IPXCore for this)

• @joodle

IPSec doesn't work with OpenVZ as far as I am aware.

• Hi, I am a developer of SoftEther VPN. I found the referer log from our softether.org web site and visit here. Thank you very much for your concern. If you have a question of SoftEther VPN, I can answer. Sorry for patchy English.

• krokro Member

Welcome, scroll up to begin

• @dnobori: Is softether working at the moment as nobody has gotten it to work here at the moment. Also, wish it would support remote radius authentication in the final release.

• colmcolm Member

@dnobori: Thanks for releasing this, it looks terrific.

One question: Do you know what features work or don't work on an OpenVZ VPS?

• I installed softether on my vps yesterday. SSL-VPN and L2TP/IPSec works fine! Nice piece of software. Good job @dnobori!

• @lincoln may i ask which OS you used and did you install this on an OpenVZ, XEN or KVM VPS?

• fanfan Veteran
    edited March 2013

@dnobori Welcome! It will be nice to have a tutorial about how to configure the server to work as what a VPNGate relay do with password authentication (a private relay). -- Never mind, finally I got it to work for me, SSL-VPN works fine after a few tries, haven't tried IPsec though.

@lincoln Could you please share how did you configure it? I managed to install and run it but network traffic didn't come through the VPN. -- Ignore my question please.

@joodle I tried a few times with a digitalocean machine and it worked on a ubuntu 12.10 x86, install the server following the manual, connect with the gui manager and ignore the setup guide, enable the SecureNAT and Virtual DHCP, it should work then.

• @joodle I use debian 6.0 minimal from buyvm. it is an OpenVZ vps.

@fan I use their windows server configuration tools to configure it. Besides Turning on the L2TP/IPsec option also need to enable secureNAT and virtual DHCP.

• @cosmicgate In fact Radius, NT Domain Authentication and Certificate Authentication codes are already implemented. However, they are disabled intentionally on the current version. The reason is simple: legal problem. We operate a small company in Japan since 2004. I made SoftEther 1.0 in 2003 (the older version, Japanese only). After that, Mitsubishi Corporation (a Japanese giant) offered me to make an exclusive sales contract of SoftEther 1.0 for 10 years. I was 19. I accepted the agreement without consideration, as a person (not company). The agreement says that I must not release any freeware which might compete to Mitsubishi Material's version of SoftEther CA (commercial version for enterprise market) until April 2014. So I hesitate to release the function for enterprise-use, to avoid legal problem. However, I am trying to convince parties concerned so that we will be able to release the extended user authentication function on the free version before April 2014.