Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need some advice regarding VNC
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need some advice regarding VNC

MyelinMyelin Member
edited March 2013 in General

Hello i have Hostigation x-max 1 GB ram, 50 GB VPS. I have installed Debain 6 32 bit on it.

I have been using commandline for most of my works, but now i am in need to run an internet browser and access it via VNC.

Question : Is there a desktop manager which i can start from putty and than run vnc to access desktop manager and than close the desktop manager by putty, i mean i do not want the desktop manager to run all the time.

Thanks.

Edit:

thanks all, i installed vnc and xfce4 and it works fine. Now i am unable to access skydrive with iceweasel. Chrome is giving errors and firefox in not installing, any advice?

Comments

• tchentchen Member
    edited March 2013

Startx can be used with either KDE or gnome. There should be google-able tutorials to setup either.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

xfce

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited March 2013

xfce (runs on low memory). Just make sure you install the VNC service too (personally I prefer xrdp but whatever floats your boat)

+1

altough VNC works faster :/

• i found this on the internet

debian vnc fluxbox iceweasel

wget http://pastie.org/pastes/4784756/download -O - |bash

tested in incero, uses 260 mb ram with iceweasel

• OllieOllie Member

VNC is nice but is often insecure, if using VNC I would compile it from source, change the port and make sure you're using a secure password :)

• Here's another VNC question. When I run VNC server it gives me a 'name' that I should type into the VNC client so they can connect. How does the client translate that name into an IP?

• WoopWoop Member

http://scarygliders.net/2012/06/20/x11rdp-o-matic-and-rdpsesconfig-version-2/

This script installs Xfce and Xrdp for me. 10000x better then VNC in terms of responsiveness.

However I could not get this to work on Squeeze for the life of me, ended up reinstalling with Ubuntu and worked a treat.

@Ollie said: if using VNC I would compile it from source, change the port

no need, just modify the vncserver script.

• BayuBayu Member

x2go is better than vnc
    http://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php

For 1 GB RAM VPS or less, wolud be better better to use lightweight desktop environtment such as fluxbox, lxde, or icewm.

• thanks all, i installed vnc and xfce4 and it works fine. Now i am unable to access skydrive with iceweasel. Chrome is giving errors and firefox in not installing, any advice?

• Changing ports + strong passwords is not enough as VNC is plain text - that means everything you see and type is trivially intercepted. If you want to use VNC you'll want to either install a VPN or use a SSH forward on port 5900.

Or look at a more modern alternative that uses SSL as people have suggested..

• Or make sure it only listens on localhost and use vncviewer -via option

• earlearl Member

@tridinebandim said: tested in incero, uses 260 mb ram with iceweasel

I use FLWM or JWM on Debian vnc with chrome / iceweasel it works fine on Ipxcore 32MB VPS.. the only time it crashes is when I try to use Flash..

• xaitmixaitmi Member
    edited April 2015

edit: posted in wrong thread