Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to be a fully expert in Linux?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to be a fully expert in Linux?

raihan0888raihan0888 Member
edited March 2013 in General

Title is enough :)

Comments

• MunMun Member

Practice with it, get a lowendbox and just build crap.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    1. Become an OpenVZ provider.
    2. Ditch SolusVM.
    3. Sink or swim.
  • MunMun Member

@jarland said: Become an OpenVZ provider.

Ditch SolusVM.
    Sink or swim.

or that...

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Stop using the GUI.

• RyanDRyanD Member

Linux has a gui?

• @raindog308 said: Stop using the GUI.

I like this one

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Get a distibution that lets you meddle around (Debian, for example), install it on a virtual machine or VPS or anything else you can afford to blow up, and just mess around with it.

HowToForge is a great resource, as is Serverfault. Just try to get some things done, make a challenge out of it, and learn things along the way.

Most importantly, don't try to provide any (paid) services until you are confident that you are knowledgeable enough to keep them running.

• hyaohyao Member

@jarland said:

1. Become an OpenVZ provider.
    2. Ditch SolusVM.
    3. Sink or swim.

It's the path I'm planning to explore :-) About ditching SolusVM, though I can complete most (if not all) administration manually or using shell scripts, config management tools, I think there are some work that benefits from a control panel like SolusVM.

On the other hand, IMHO, business considerations are more important than technical ones. Thoughts?

• hyaohyao Member
    edited March 2013

@raihan0888: Second @joepie91's comment.

Choose an area or application that interests you most, then install, configure, test, deploy to your heart's content. During the process, you may find other areas you may want to learn...

• Random_DudeRandom_Dude Member
    edited March 2013

@joepie91 said: Get a distibution that lets you meddle around (Debian, for example), install it on a virtual machine or VPS or anything else you can afford to blow up, and just mess around with it.

HowToForge is a great resource, as is Serverfault. Just try to get some things done, make a challenge out of it, and learn things along the way.

This, this and this again. The only thing I have to add is to make a private wiki for yourself. Either host it in a VPS, a freehost or in a VM. There are wiki software out there that don't even require a database (Dokuwiki, Foswiki etc). Document everything you do in it. Installed apache? Great, write a couple of lines of how you did it. Configured awesome wm? Copy & paste your config files.

Maintaining a Wiki will help you find stuff faster, when you want to install/configure them again later. You'll get into the habit of documenting everything, which is an essential skill if you have to work as part of a team. You'll even have a "benchmark" of how much you've advanced since you started.

• You can learn on your own and that is how most people do it. But if you want to learn more efficiently you can start studying for a Linux certification. Red Hat certs are the most renown. Try becoming an RHCE!

• @jarland said: Become an OpenVZ provider.

Why only OpenVZ ? Is there a lot of complexity ?

@raindog308 said: Stop using the GUI.

Perfect tip!

@joepie91 said: just mess around with it

An inevitable experience indeed.

@hyao said: Choose an area or application that interests you most, then install, configure, test, deploy to your heart's content

Nice tip that expedites the learning process.

@Random_Dude said: Maintaining a Wiki will help you find stuff faster, when you want to install/configure them again later

If not immediately, one will come to realize the need for documenting. Better start early.

• NickMNickM Member
    edited March 2013

The real learning starts when stuff breaks. When everything goes right, it's just as simple as following tutorials. There's even a program that will randomly break a linux system so that you can fix it, but I can't think of the name of it at the moment.

Edit: it's called Trouble-Maker

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Abdussamad said: You can learn on your own and that is how most people do it. But if you want to learn more efficiently you can start studying for a Linux certification. Red Hat certs are the most renown. Try becoming an RHCE!

Aside from strongly doubting that learning via a curriculum is "more efficient" than learning the specific things you are looking for, it also causes lock-in to a certain vendor (Red Hat) which means your general Linux skills will suffer under Red Hat specialization.

Same problem as with any corporate certificate, really.

• hyaohyao Member

@joepie91 said: Aside from strongly doubting that learning via a curriculum is "more efficient" than learning the specific things you are looking for, it also causes lock-in to a certain vendor (Red Hat) which means your general Linux skills will suffer under Red Hat specialization.

The above is right in a general sense. I worked through a fast track RHCE course, and it's task oriented, which means one needs to master those skills to be certified. And most of those skills are applicable to other distros (especially to CentOS) :-)

• Install Arch.

• Or Gentoo.

• Oh, and this ;P

Thanked by 4Spirit fapvps k0nsl GaNi
  • @BlueVM said: Use linux every day for ~5 years

I only took 6 months, maybe because of my programming background and easy adaption?

• @raihan0888 make every mistake you can and don't lose your ass

• Sums up 99% of arch users @nstorm

• gracagraca Member

basically you should love continuous learning, as most of the things change quiet fast, any achievement in last 5 years, most likely obsolete by now. so I'm not sure there are fully expert in Linux (except Linus maybe)

• Lets buy a vps and try troubke maker :D

Thanks @NickM

• @BlueVM said: Use linux every day for ~5 years, volunteer to help people with problems, read:

It's hard to believe that I'm on my 5th year of using Linux... ;-)

• become a kernel developer...

• @jarland said: Become an OpenVZ provider.

Ditch SolusVM.
    Sink or swim.

I think the same goes when you have Solusvm :)

• twaintwain Member

The day arch removed ifconfig as default (replaced w IP addr) was the day I stopped using it as my workstation

• Best advice so far, get a wiki for yourself.
    I'm getting a wiki for myself and documenting every step I take to get a problem solved and then categorize them according to relationship.

Presently, I'm learning how to install/setup a complete website with wordpress and whmcs in the mix without cPanel using only ioncube, apache, mysql and php. I have screwed everything up once...re-installed the box again and will shoot again!

Thanks all for your great advice.