Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Community feedback requested
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Community feedback requested

Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
edited February 2013 in General

Since the time has about come for me to post another offer, I want the community's input to help shape this offer.

I ask what type of offer do you want to see?

Storage
SSD

Yearly?
Minimal
High bandwidth

I am open to most suggestions. All of them will be taken into account

I will not be posting any $7 - 2Gb+ offers so please don't ask for it. I will not degrade my service.

Thank you,

-Alex
Fliphost.net

Comments

• SSD, different location?

• SSD, cheap (not 512MB for $5), monthly please. Minimum bandwidth and uplink is fine. More RAM and CPU is good.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@murky said: SSD, cheap (not 512MB for $5), monthly please. Minimum bandwidth and uplink is fine. More RAM and CPU is good.

That is cheap for real SSD. Otherwise you're just getting an SSD marketing tag.

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited February 2013

It's great that you want to solicit community feedback for another offer, but everyone will have different features they want/need in a VPS based on what projects they're considering. For myself, I'd like a couple of very low end (128MB or less) servers, geographically dispersed, for DNS servers. Everyone else, though, will want different things.

• High BW, decent memory (512/768?), low (10-20GB?) storage would be nice.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2013

People can't resist a good under $20/year offer. I like @Nick_A's high storage for low yearly cost.

• @jarland said: People can't resist a good under $20/year offer. I like @Nick_A's high storage for low yearly cost.

I second this. I'm such a sucker.

• Would like a yearly offer as well.

• Storage quarterly

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2013

@jarland said: People can't resist a good under $20/year offer. I like @Nick_A's high storage for low yearly cost.

But that's exactly what Fliphost offered last time :) Big storage, a lot of transfer, different locations and yearly pre-payment.

@Fliphost it will be hard for you to beat your last offer. It have everything what most people here prefer.

• KVM :)

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

Nope, @Nick_A they're running a fantastic SSD rig.

• 10GB SSD
    1GB RAM

$2 / month

@RobertClarke said: Nope, @Nick_A they're running a fantastic SSD rig.

Who is they and what does it have to do with what I was saying?

• SSD 512 ~ 5$ per month

• unusedunused Member
    edited February 2013

@Nick_A @RobertClarke < conspiracy theory begins > Digital Ocean ?

• unusedunused Member
    edited February 2013

@fliphost I would like to see 1gb ram xen or kvm + 20gb real ssd storage, 1gbps port w/ 1TB outbound (inbound free) for $5/mo or $50/year.

murky seems to think even DO is overpriced for SSD, when they don't even offer what are considered true SSD speeds. I wasn't referring to any provider but rather pointing out that murky doesn't quite understand how expensive a good SSD server is and how that translates into price on the provider side.

• high storage low ram yearly deals.

• @jcaleb personally i would worry about storing anything on LEB, much better to get a couple kimsufi or whatever $20-30 dedis in at least two locations and gfs/replicate between them for that kind of storage.

On the VM side I think it's time for lower storage + more dedicated ram/cpu via kvm/xen (no more openvz) - something geared towards running a real production web app that requires the ram+cpu but can cdn/offload for storage.

• @unused said: @jcaleb personally i would worry about storing anything on LEB, much better to get a couple kimsufi or whatever $20-30 dedis in at least two locations and gfs/replicate between them for that kind of storage.

Im just thinking 64mb ovz with 100gb disk

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

offloaded mysql. makes apps a lot easier to run on lebs.

two- factor auth for solus.

• @raindog308 said: offloaded mysql. makes apps a lot easier to run on lebs.

What about offloaded in the same node. reduce point of failure.

• @jcaleb said: What about offloaded in the same node. reduce point of failure.

Are there seriously a lot of people interested in this offload sql thing? Is it only MySQL or PostgreSQL etc too?

It'll be fun to be some fun hardware out of it. Lots of things to try.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Thank you all. I will take these recommendations into account when posting my offer.

@raindog308 I may have found something to do just that

• "Small" storage -- in the 50-100GB range -- with enough memory so it's not neutered.

The specific application is website backups. Develop some specific VPS templates and howto tutorials that allow people to backup their websites with redundancy -- duplicity, rdiff-backup, etc. Would be a nice niche market I think.

@sleddog

Would be interesting for sure. I need to spend a week and expand my knowledgebase. I

• @concerto49 said: Are there seriously a lot of people interested in this offload sql thing? Is it only MySQL or PostgreSQL etc too?

Hard to tell. Maybe before when VPS with high RAM is expensive. But with 1GB or 2GB RAM affordable, I'm not sure really. Maybe the other guys offering them can shed some light.

• This is just a quick update to inform you that IPv6 is now available for all storage servers regardless of location. All of those located in Choopa have been assigned 5. Those that do not currently have Ipv6 can open a support ticket to request some to be assigned.

Awesome :) Thank you.

@Spirit

No problem :)