Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BlueVM Transfer
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BlueVM Transfer

BlueVMBlueVM Member
edited February 2013 in Providers

Hello,

So to begin with I know LET isn't BlueVM's private blog, but I'd rather make sure there's a topic about our upcoming transfer. The transfer of approximately 2,000 VPS clients from assorted old hardware in California, Atlanta, Illinois and Texas will begin tonight/tomorrow morning at 3 AM HST.

Transfers will be conducted under the following rules:

• One VPS per node will automatically be live transferred from our old hardware to the new hardware at a time.
  • The VPS on each node will be transferred smallest to largest with regard to disk space usage. Thus the smallest VPS will be transferred first with the largest being transferred last.
  • A new IP address will automatically be assigned and emailed to you upon transfer completion.
  • Your VPS will remain online until every file has been moved over to the new hardware at which time it will experience a short power down along with the assignment of a new IP.
  • Users will receive an email containing their unique tracking email for their VPS. Users will also receive an email when their VPS transfer begins and completes.

Users who absolutely must have a new IP prior to the move for DNS routing purposes may request a manual transfer via ticket or on IRC on a first come first serve basis PRIOR to the automated transfer beginning. We will be charging a $5 fee if you request a manual transfer in an effort to keep manual requests to a minimum during this process as our technicians will already have a large amount of work due to the transfer.

As always if you have any questions or concerns about this transfer please feel free to submit a ticket on our site or drop by our IRC channel. If you do not receive a email with your unique transfer details before 3 AM HST please feel free to submit a ticket and manually request the link. Our goal is to make this transfer as smooth as possible and we appreciate your support in this matter.

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Good luck

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Let it not turn out into another buyvm/FH drama :)

• @MikHo - We're working very hard to ensure the VPS have as little downtime as possible and customers get improved performance.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@BlueVM

I'm sure you are and I wish you nothing but the best of luck.

At the same time I hope the only threads here on LET afterwards will be on the success of the move.

• is this still going on?

• @LAKid said: is this still going on?

I think so. My BlueVM KVM hasn't been assigned a new IP yet.

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited February 2013

The transfer only effects OpenVZ users at this time. We've run into some issues so the transfer hasn't been started yet unfortunately.

At first we had some issues with our migration code and then we found some issues with a node due to a hard disk failure (brand new disks mind you) so we're in the process of replacing those now. We want a clean sweep move.

• @BlueVM said: The transfer only effects OpenVZ users at this time.

Oh, nice! Any idea on a timeframe for migrating KVM -- or will they be migrated at all?

• We don't specifically intend to migrate KVM as the CPUs for the L5420s are sufficient (usually only having a load of 2 on a full server). We may however start switching our lineup over the next 6 - 8 months for uniformity. In this case we're going one large sweeping upgrade to bring everything on our openvz line up to a higher standard.

• So are you guys leaving incero in Dallas now?

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

I hope things are going well.

• Jack - The reason to do it smallest to largest is to transfer as many vps as possible at first and have fewer and fewer vps left transfer as the hours pass. As opposed to waiting hours and hours for a hand full of vps to finish.

• @Jack - Shouldn't be an issue as we'll be moving them one at a time as opposed to in bulk.

• Transfer is now in progress. All users should have received a tracking link like this:

http://transfer.bluevm.com/[email protected]&key=758QX7WF818FQML2

We are about 5% complete in under 10 minutes with virtually no failures.

• Where are you moving to, from Incero?

• Good luck @BlueVM, hope everything goes well!

• @BlueVM - uhhh, you may not want to have shared that link? Or is that dummy data?

• @unused - That's mostly just my random vps projects... All it lists is usernames and statuses. The point being to give non-customers an idea of what it looks like...

• @apollo15 said: Where are you moving to, from Incero?

From all of our locations to new DCs in the same locations and an addition of NY. And an exception of Kansas which will remain where it is.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Best of luck, never a fun thing to do :)

• @AnthonySmith - Hence the focus on automation.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

I'm actually really glad they had the tracking stuff. Made me realise I still have a VPS with them :P

• @trewq - Is that a bad thing or a good thing? We really did try to make sure everyone was aware of the transfer.

• @BlueVM. From what dc to what dc did you move to? The email didn't say.

• @concerto49 it varies from location to location.

We're at over 60% transferred on all nodes with two nodes being 100% completed. Thanks for your patience and I'm glad to report that we've had very few complaints during this massive move.

• @Ishaq said: addition of NY.

When do you plan to offer services from there?

• @ihatetonyy - We will be accepting transfers to there probably tomorrow morning and actual sales there within ~3 days.

• Which DC in NY? Test IP? :)

• @black -- Colocrossing : s1.c12.ny.bluevm.com for the test IP.