Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opera promoting monoculture
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Opera promoting monoculture

GIANT_CRABGIANT_CRAB Member
edited February 2013 in General

http://my.opera.com/haavard/blog/2013/02/13/webkit

Opera has made an official announcement that they will promote monoculture through switching from Presto to WebKit.
This is because their users consist of only 1% to 2% of the market while most of the market users are using WebKit based browsers such as Google Chrome.

Thus, Google had sort of indirectly force Opera to switch from their amazing Presto, which is able to withstand 120 tabs opening, to WebKit, which can only handle up to 20 tabs before crashing.
Fact: Presto engine is the best engine, WebKit is terrible.

Comments

• @GIANT_CRAB said: which can only handle up to 20 tabs before crashing.

Just opened 20 tabs in my Chrome for fun, they were all loaded within 10 seconds and nothing crashed.

• I'd have to agree with @gsrdgrdghd.

• GIANT_CRABGIANT_CRAB Member
    edited February 2013

@gsrdgrdghd said: Just opened 20 tabs in my Chrome for fun, they were all loaded within 10 seconds and nothing crashed.

You probably had a good core and good RAM count.
    Still, you can't open 120 tabs on chrome but you can do that on Opera.

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Just opened 20 tabs in my Chrome for fun, they were all loaded within 10 seconds and nothing crashed.

I don't know how many tabs i've just opened but i kept pressing CTRL + T for 1 minute lol, Chrome didn't crash for me

Chrome tab bar:

• Doh... Don't care about tabs, don't open more than 15 of them anyways. But using Opera as main browser and like how Presto renders pages better.
    Hope they'll at least keep an interface&features of Opera. Don't like how minimalistic chrome looks and so used to Opera hotkeys and features.

• I always have more then 20 tabs open, never had a problem. With firefox I had though.

• @joodle 120 empty tabs is meaningless. Try loading 120 tabs with actual websites in them.

• This is really bad news. Presto is much better than webkit. Shame on Opera succumbing to peer pressure. I think diversity is better. And this almost seems like webkit will be the next IE sort of, in the future, where they dictate what goes.

• What on earth do you need 120 tabs for?

• @Satellite said: @joodle 120 empty tabs is meaningless. Try loading 120 tabs with actual websites in them.

Then what? my pc can handle that fine

• @Microlinux said: What on earth do you need 120 tabs for?

One day when the shortage comes, you'll wish you'd hoarded tabs too

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Wait...Opera is still around?

• I regularly have 250+ tabs, too lazy to close anything.

Firefox user here though, so herp a derp.

• Well while Opera might have been slower, it probably doesn't render LET like this:

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2013

@Zen said: Not only is Opera way behind, sluggish and absolute crap, you're also spewing some insane bullshit.

This. Not the best time to side with the underdog to be all anti-establishment. It's only cool when the underdog doesn't suck.

@gsrdgrdghd said: Well while Opera might have been slower, it probably doesn't render LET like this:

Neither does IE, Firefox, or Safari. Chrome has been acting up lately.

And seriously people, close some freaking tabs. You're not actively browsing 120 websites.

• I regularly have 250+ tabs, too lazy to close anything.

I wonder how do you people navigate through these...

• so, opera is still arround?

• To switch to a specific tab:

Ctrl+1 to Ctrl+8

With 250+ tabs? You must be having a very special keyboard. I don't have so much keys. :P

• And let's be honest, Google did not in any way, shape or form "force" Opera to switch to Webkit. Opera made the decision, probably because they realized pouring all kinds of effort into a browser engine with a tiny minority of the browser market was a terrible waste of engineering talent.

• @Zen said: That's a vanilla issue, I see it mainly happens when very large images are on the page.

Is there anything i can do to fix it?

• But Opera is a terrible browser. Chrome is a very good browser. Now perhaps Opera will become a good browser too...

• @GIANT_CRAB said: Fact: Presto engine is the best engine, WebKit is terrible.

That was fat!

• Browser wars yaay!
    Nobody cares, use what you want.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Wintereise said: I regularly have 250+ tabs, too lazy to close anything.

>

Firefox user here though, so herp a derp.

Mmm, similar story here but not 250+, I'm not that lazy. Probably 50+ tabs at peak usage.

• Not a bad decision for Opera. It takes 1 minute+ to open for me, and constantly freezes up for a few seconds before continuing. Completely clean install. Awful browser; I see why nobody uses it.

• I really hate when people say something sucks because they can't open 150 tabs that they'll never use.

How on earth is that a realistic test?

• Just use whichever browser you enjoy, who really cares.

@winston said: I really hate when people say something sucks because they can't open 150 tabs that they'll never use.

I constantly have 80+ tabs open in Firefox.

• While WebKit feels faster on JS-heavy websites and feels faster, Presto is the fastest HTML rendering engine in the world.

• IntcsIntcs Member
    edited February 2013

@joodle said: Then what? my pc can handle that fine

In some way that might be related to a main reason of why it's not clear to everyone how far Opera is better, smoother, faster..etc. Simply because of the newer hardware. Anyone who've used Opera, let's say at least 6+ years ago, shall see the really big differences in utilizing hardware between Opera and others.

While with that many doubles in hardware speeds in the last few years, it might have covered most if not all of such clear differences. It's being similar to coding a Windows program that looks good, but without following any standard or memory optimization practice, and then running it on a regular nowadays hardware that can handle 1000x of it, and nothing of the disasters you've done will be noticeable while the program shall still work flawlessly, furthermore, if you published it somewhere you might still get very positive feed backs, including praising it's "amazing speed", while an iCPU/DDR3/FSB/etc who is handling "that shit" fine, is probably the one who should be thanked :D

• 50 tabs open on Chrome with no issues, despite closing them all later takes quite a toll on the HD I/O. Still, using Chrome simply feels awesome.