Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sharing Versaweb's Dedicated Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Sharing Versaweb's Dedicated Server

DStroutDStrout Member
edited January 2013 in General

As per the discussion on Versaweb's dedicated server offer, I propose that several of us get together and purchase one of their servers quarterly, then split it into how many ever VPSes we need. This would make us eligible for the 24GB of RAM, which is a nice large amount to split between ourselves. For perspective:

2 People: $70/Quarter, $23.33/Month, 12GB RAM
3 People: $46.66/Quarter, $15.55/Month, 8GB RAM
4 People: $35/Quarter, $11.66/Month, 6GB RAM
5 People: $28/Quarter, $9.33/Month, <4.5GB RAM
6 People: $23.33/Quarter, $7.77/Month, 4GB RAM
7 People: $20/Quarter, $6.66/Month, <3GB RAM

Of course, some might choose to put in multiple "shares" and thus get more RAM. I think enough interest has been shown that we should start seriously considering this before the servers run out. We will need some way to collect all the payments, first, then someone who knows how to handle a dedicated server split into VPSes. I'm open to suggestions.

Comments

• Too bad it's in the USA :(
    VERY nice offer though.

• @ztec you interested?

• flyfly Member

wonder if there's ipv6 / rdns

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2013

Kinda wish I could use it, it's a good idea you've got there no doubt. We're renting an overpowered backup server with 4TB in Baltimore that basically gets to be our personal playground outside of the backup container. So I'd be impulse buying something I didn't need again :P

Good luck, and hurry up, looks like stock is moving fast. Make sure everyone agrees not to use it to slam the disk IO all day long or the purpose will be defeated and others will back out.

• I'm interested, but would like to see first who will manage this dedi.

• I'm in the EU so nothing for me I guess.

Awesome idea tough!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2013

@DStrout said: We will need some way to collect all the payments, first, then someone who knows how to handle a dedicated server split into VPSes

And then there will be COMMUNISM

seriously though, you will have an utter nightmare on your hands, trying to chase down all those random people every month for their payments; then some start dropping out, what will you do? increase the "rent" for the rest of them? even more decline and go away. This can never work and you are a silly person for even thinking it can. :)

• Not a bad idea. Good luck getting people.

• Maybe I am wrong but... a quarter are 3 months, not 4 months.

• @yomero that's correct

• Maybe you can just buy one and sell VPSes?

• @yomero said: Maybe I am wrong but... a quarter are 3 months, not 4 months.

[blushes] oh... yeah, I knew that :)
    Seriously, though, my bad. I've fixed the numbers.

• @AstroProfundis said: Maybe you can just buy one and sell VPSes?

Don't have the money by myself :(

• @rm_ I know. If I had friends who were interested in doing this with me, it would be easier, but I don't. Hence I ask others, many of whom have said that they'd love to get their hands on a piece of this but can't do so by themselves. There are difficulties, yes, but I hope the Low End Community can get together to do something like this.

• Did you notice that the server comes with single disk? You should use at least two disks. That would be another 15 usd per month.

Nevertheless it's a great offer.

• @rm_ said: you will have an utter nightmare on your hands, trying to chase down all those random people every month for their payments; then some start dropping out, what will you do?

Sadly, this is true. I used to share an usenet account with several people I 'met' online. First month went smooth, then the horror started.
    Never again. I now share it with some IRL friends.

• @Freek when that happens it sucks, one time me and this guy, we made a deal. We'd pay 50/50 for the server, for 4 months in a row, I was paying 100% of it, then he 'disappered' and changed root password somehow, so I had the server reinstalled. This is why I never share it with anyone unless I have at least a 3 month down payment.

• Sucks to be let down by other people like that.. ouch!

Was just reading over the T and C's - ouch.

4.Real-time Block Lists (RBL): Customer acknowledges that should any assigned IP space become listed with a Real-Time Block List (RBL) or should assigned IP space be reported as having a "Poor" or otherwise derogatory reputation score as a result of Customer's activities, Customer agrees to pay an administrative charge of $250 per hour with a minimum 1 hour per RBL listing to cover costs incurred by the Company in the process of removing IP space from the RBL(s).

Imagine renting VPS and even one of them get abused by a client...

Good deal, shame about the hdd size though.

• @DStrout what are you going to use your share for? If it is a legit reason and you are at old enough to enter into a contract, you can contact me by PM and I may have an offer for you.

• @fly IPv6 is currently being tested with a projected deployment in February

• OP -- could throw Proxmox on it and give each user an account, right? If so, I'm in for one provided there's a few other people in to drag down the price.

• I already own a dedi with them (this specific plan actually). But realize you also might need the additional IP (it'll add a little bit more to the extra cost). Also, making sure the main person who runs this knows what they're doing or taking care of it because done wrong this could provide major issues.

• I might be willing to do this as well. I have one of the servers now and was planning to install Proxmox. I was actually considering a second machine

• darn. how many are in the share now i might be interested

• @cosmicgate they posted they're sold out.

• @custisg "We’ve got about 5 units left available – I expect these will be sold-out by the end of the day.

Thanks!"

still available for order on their website

• BK_BK_ Member
    edited January 2013

-They're no longer doing the 24GB RAM upgrade though, however I think they dropped the quarterly price to $30/m-

Nevermind, sorry. Misread it. [/edit]

• @cosmicgate said: @custisg "We’ve got about 5 units left available – I expect these will be sold-out by the end of the day.

Thanks!"

still available for order on their website

the 24gb ram upgrades are sold out. I happen to have one however.

• BK_BK_ Member

@curtisg said: the 24gb ram upgrades are sold out. I happen to have one however.

I couldn't see anything about IPv6... Were you assigned any/do they support it?

• @BK_ I asked and they said IPv6 is coming in February