Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DNS manager problem with zpanel
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DNS manager problem with zpanel

ledzgioledzgio Member
edited December 2012 in General

I have installed zpanel using this script on Ubuntu 12.04

http://ubuntuserverguide.com/2012/11/how-to-install-zpanelx-web-hosting-control-panel-on-ubuntu-server-12-04.html

and everything seem to work properly except of DNS Manager.

First I had to reinstall bind because it didnt started by default. After that I set DNS up by creating a domain (mysite.com and in mysite.com provider I set it to use my dns), creating records from DNS manager (automatically) and checked right values (server IP and my dns names ns1.mysite.com and ns2.mysite.com on NS tab with pointing to server IP).

But, analyzing DNS (ns1.mysite.com) with http://network-tools.com, I get:

Retrieving DNS records for ns1.mysite.com...Attempt to get a DNS server for ns1.mysite.com failed: Timed out

and I cannot figure out how to get DNS server working.

Any help?

thanks

Comments

• 1 - Is BIND running?
    2 - If it is, if you have iptables running, does it allow port 53 from outside?

• @ledzgio said: for ns1.mysite.com...Att

Please make sure that the ns1.mysite.com resolves to the correct IP address.

• BIND is running. I am going to check if iptables allows port 53 from outside..

ns1.mysite.com resolves to the correct IP address (VPS server IP).

• I opened port in iptables:

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT

but nothing changed.

• connercgconnercg Member
    edited December 2012

Did you register the name servers at the domain registrar?
    Did you add dns records for the domain in the ZPanel DNS Manager?

• Yes I set in registrar to use that DNS for the domain and yes DNS record are set in NS tab in the Zpanel DNS manager.

• connercgconnercg Member
    edited December 2012

If using Windows as a desktop, did you try -- ipconfig /flushdns

• twaintwain Member
    edited December 2012

@ledzgio - Make sure you also= have A records for ns1/ns2 in the zone file
    *edit, also from your reply to connercg re: registering your nameservers, it seems one could interpret that you just set the nameservers for that domain to ns1.mysite.com. Did you really register the nameservers? eg this means you set glue records as well (you tell you registrar that ns1/ns2.mysite.com points to such and such ip address)

• I set A records for ns1/ns2 in the zone file. My doubt now is, could ns1 and ns2 point to the same ip address? should I have to remove ns2 and use only ns1?

In my registrar I just told it to use dns ns1.mysite.com and ns2.mysite.com as nameservers, it is correct?

• @twain said: Did you really register the nameservers? eg this means you set glue records as well (you tell you registrar that ns1/ns2.mysite.com points to such and such ip address)

what does you mean exactly?

• I removed ns1 from everywhere and now the error has changed

Retrieving DNS records for ns1.mysite.com...
    Attempt to get a DNS server for ns1.connexway.com failed: ns1.mysite.com The query returned a server failure

any idea?

• @ledzgio said: what does you mean exactly?

Setting the nameservers for a domain is different than registering the nameserver(s) at the registrar. You need to set the nameservers (as you did), but you also have to register the nameservers with your registrar (assuming domain mysite.com belongs to you and ns1/ns2.mysite.com nameservers have not already been registered). What registrar are you using? Look for "register nameservers" (or similar) in your registrar panel or search the registrar KB or open a ticket etc.. it shouldn't be too hard to find (although GoDaddy and some others make it more difficult than necessary).

• I solved installing from scratch new Zpanel version with official installer...no problems so far!

• easiest way to setup DNS can be found here http://vpstip.com/how-to-setup-your-domain-dns-with-zpanel/

• oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

FYI try dnswatch.info/
    Its accurate and quicker.
    Network Tools is slow to resolve. I think their TTL is 24hrs.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

sorry to be "that guy" but I just wanted to make you aware that in the past and fairly sure as of right now zPanel has some major security issues so please don't host anything you cant afford to lose/ be leaked on it.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

and just noticed original date.... HOLY NECRO!

• VPNVPN Member

Wow major bumping here lol. Did it take you a year to resolve? Lol.

• I think , you should consider moving to another panel , VestaCP could be good option