Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPv4 Annoucment Sizes (netsize)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPv4 Annoucment Sizes (netsize)

MunMun Member
edited November 2015 in General

Colocrossing is currently announcing out of there asn 816,388 IPv4 addresses. Yep, that is nearly a million! (source)

Quadranet is announcing 427,504 IPv4 addresses on there largest ASN, and 26,820 on the next largest. (source)

Frantech/Buyvm are announcing 89,804 IPv4s. (source)

Mighty Incero is currently announcing a small amount of 55,646 IPv4 addresses. (source)

And finally good old Google has 1,329,582 IPv4s on one of there many ASNs. (source)

All this lovely data comes off a minor project that I added on the side of asn-blocklist called Netsize. Feel free to check it out, and find more crazy numbers!

Please note, a particular ASN may or may not own all IPs announced as they may be announcing for a smaller customer whom is leasing space.

Enjoy!

p.s. If you find any issues please let me know, and I will try and remedy them!

Thanked by 24n0nx Francisco

Comments

• I don't doubt your statistics, but using your own website as a "source" is a little.. meh.

Thanked by 1sclaeys
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited November 2015

You should show IPv6 also as /48s, /64s are for end-users and not much interesting for many needing this sort of tool.

How do you handle multiple times the same prefix? i.e. announced as /16 and 2 /17

How do you source ASN name and prefixes? whois + own BGP session or just a dumped table all few hours?

Are results cached?

PS: You might want to add cisco/juniper (and maybe quagga/mikrotik/bird) syntax for asn-blocklist.

Thanked by 2iRepko Andreix
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

These days IP reputation is so hard to maintain for anyone, with major companies running internal RBLs and not sending abuse reports, that Colocrossing's massive asset there isn't even all that damaged in my opinion. Almost time to cash in?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@jarland said:
    These days IP reputation is so hard to maintain for anyone, with major companies running internal RBLs and not sending abuse reports, that Colocrossing's massive asset there isn't even all that damaged in my opinion. Almost time to cash in?

I have no doubt if someone came by and offered @jbiloh $7/IP on his stash that he would take it. I can't see there being a lot of value in < $40/month E3 customers =\

Francisco

Thanked by 1Corey
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Francisco said: I have no doubt if someone came by and offered @jbiloh $7/IP on his stash that he would take it. I can't see there being a lot of value in < $40/month E3 customers =\

Without IPs we wouldn't be in business! At $7/ip we would only have a fraction of what the business is worth as a whole.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@jbiloh said:
    Without IPs we wouldn't be in business! At $7/ip we would only have a fraction of what the business is worth as a whole.

Alright now we're negotiating.

• I'll give ya' a fiver.

And not a penny more!

@jbiloh said:

• jarland said: that Colocrossing's massive asset there isn't even all that damaged in my opinion. Almost time to cash in?

Even SBL'd space yields 4$+ per IP on a /16, and i'm talking about extremely dirty ranges here (Botnet C&Cs, Heavy spam, Phishing...) - CCs are at least worth 5$+, if not 6$+ now with "some" better reputation.

So this 800k (we just assume the 16k to be customer IPs, usually i assume 5%) IPs are worth 4mil$+ easily.

Thanked by 1jar
  • jbiloh said: Without IPs we wouldn't be in business! At $7/ip we would only have a fraction of what the business is worth as a whole.

your point being? Sell /16 at 7$, obtain legacy RIPE /16 at 6$, 65k profit - That is essentially what i do for a living now...

Thanked by 3ATHK perennate trewq
  • @kcaj said:
    I don't doubt your statistics, but using your own website as a "source" is a little.. meh.

Sorry, I couldn't think of a better word for it, I can update the context if you like if you can provide me a good word?

@William said:
    You should show IPv6 also as /48s, /64s are for end-users and not much interesting for many needing this sort of tool.

I will work on that asap! Thanks for the feedback.

William said: How do you handle multiple times the same prefix? i.e. announced as /16 and 2 /17

I run the calculation for the size of the address space, and afterwards multiple based on the number of blocks of that size.

William said: How do you source ASN name and prefixes? whois + own BGP session or just a dumped table all few hours?

I grab the data from ripe.net's stats system and cache the data for a period of time (generally 7 days as of recent).

William said: Are results cached?

Yes, for a small period of time. If you look at the bottom of the page it will state when the data was pulled.

William said: PS: You might want to add cisco/juniper (and maybe quagga/mikrotik/bird) syntax for asn-blocklist.

Can you give me examples and I will gladly add them, or link me examples.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2015

William said: So this 800k (we just assume the 16k to be customer IPs, usually i assume 5%) IPs are worth 4mil$+ easily.

So, less than their yearly revenue?

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2015

William said: your point being? Sell /16 at 7$, obtain legacy RIPE /16 at 6$, 65k profit - That is essentially what i do for a living now...

Well, I guess his point is that they have a business and changing their business model from selling servers to selling IP addresses doesn't make much sense. That is pretty cool though :P

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited November 2015

perennate said: So, less than their yearly revenue?

Revenue != profit.

They did not pay much to ARIN for this space, so 90%+ is pure profit.

Well, they have a business and changing their business model from selling servers to selling IP addresses doesn't make much sense

65k+ free money always makes sense...

• Oh yeah!, 1 ipv4 for a cent!

William said: your point being? Sell /16 at 7$, obtain legacy RIPE /16 at 6$, 65k profit - That is essentially what i do for a living now...

Neat idea. Hope you do well with it.

For us we want to sell cabinets and fill our datacenters, especially our newest one in Buffalo. We're looking forward to starting our 3rd next year.

• @jbiloh said:
    For us we want to sell cabinets and fill our datacenters, especially our newest one in Buffalo. We're looking forward to starting our 3rd next year.

Where is the other one?

• jbiloh said: Without IPs we wouldn't be in business! At $7/ip we would only have a fraction of what the business is worth as a whole.

Yeah, about 1/2.

Level3 has a lot of ips!!!

• One day colocrossing will be the biggest ISP in the world?

• looking about google,

http://bgp.he.net/report/dns/google

where to get it?

• https://www.enjen.net/netsize/index.php?asn=3356 <-- level 3

Announcing currently 79,199,894

Mun said: Where is the other one?

3rd large datacenter will be in Buffalo in the same building as our 2nd, but on the first floor instead of third floor.

We're also looking at West Coast expansion too.

• jbiloh said: We're also looking at West Coast expansion too.

A better San Jose location please!