Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much bandwidth do i need, any help?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much bandwidth do i need, any help?

I'm owning a video website and i'm using embeded content.
I wanted buy my own server, but i don't know if let's say 100TB bandwdith a month si enough.
The videos are around 20 minutes long and around 280-300 mb in size.
I have an average of 150-200 users always online.
Will 100TB/month - 1gbit port from wicked servers be enough?
Kind regards.

Comments

• If you know about your stats it should be quite easy so calculate an average of traffic needed per month and what peaks you might have.
    Only thing missing in this calculation so far is the number / amount of videos consumed by your "150-200 users always online" on average.

• If you can average how many videos are consumed on a per user basis then you could easily calculate how much you need on a worst-case scenario basis.

• Are the videos on your server/shared host account?

If not, then the videos are played from elsewhere, using someone else's and the client's bandwidth.

masinerija said: i'm using embeded content

• gibstergibster Member
    edited November 2015

((250x300)x10)/1000000 ?

This is assuming a peak of 250 users, with each user consuming 10 videos of 300mb in size. The result is 0.75 , the amount of terabytes a month you need.

Please correct me if the sum is wrong, its fairly late here...

• 300MB /20 minutes / 60 seconds = 0.25MByte/s = 2 mbit/s

200 users always on * 2 mbit/s = 400 mbit/s

400 mbit/s over a month ~ 4x30TB = 120TB

Thanked by 1Wolf
  • @4n0nx said:
    300MB /20 minutes / 60 seconds = 0.25MByte/s = 2 mbit/s

200 users always on * 2 mbit/s = 400 mbit/s

400 mbit/s over a month ~ 4x30TB = 120TB

Vídeos actually load faster than you see them, and depending on the videos content, one may have more than one video opened at the same time I guess.
    It's better for you to check the number of videos downloaded daily and do an estimate with at least more 10TB on top, just to be safe

• @luissousa said:
    Vídeos actually load faster than you see them, and depending on the videos content, one may have more than one video opened at the same time I guess.

Sure, but if you want to get the overall best performance one would try to limit the streaming bitrat to just a tad above the videos bitrate to have a little bit of a buffer.
    And then it might be a good practice to try to pause the buffering above a certain level when the playback is stopped...

But we can stop with our suggestions if it is really "embedded" content - like in "I embed a YouTube video in my page".
    Then the need of bandwidth should be (of course depending on the site itself) quite small.

• masinerijamasinerija Member
    edited November 2015

Hi there guys. For now i'm using embeded content from other sites for the videos but it ain't in really good quality. So i decided to go and host on my own server. I know how to setup the server, limit the bandwidth per user and all, but my problem is just finding out how many users watch at the same time and calculate it so that i know what kind of server i need and with how much bandwdith.

I was always wondering about the bitrate of a video. Does it matter when it comes to bandwidth or what? :D

• @masinerija said:
    I was always wondering about the bitrate of a video. Does it matter when it comes to bandwidth or what? :D

Yes, it does. It affects the size of the video file, which therefore affects the amount of bandwidth used (for streaming that video), and it might take longer for the video to finish loading.

• masinerijamasinerija Member
    edited November 2015

Thank you for the info. So i think i can manage to resize the videos around 200mb each and still have a rather good quality. Maybe 100TB bandwidth could be enough if i render each video to 200mb each. Huh

• @masinerija said:
    I'm owning a video website and i'm using embeded content.
    I wanted buy my own server, but i don't know if let's say 100TB bandwdith a month si enough.
    The videos are around 20 minutes long and around 280-300 mb in size.
    I have an average of 150-200 users always online.
    Will 100TB/month - 1gbit port from wicked servers be enough?
    Kind regards.

100TB for start would be fine if more traffic then upgrade!

• Gues that i'll start with 100TB. Thanks guys.

• a number of hosting providers give you unmetered bandwidth on a dedicated server. Looking for a server with that option will take a huge load off your shoulder knowing you won't "run out" of your allocated bandwidth