Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What tools do you use to monitor your boxes?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What tools do you use to monitor your boxes?

jeromezajeromeza Member
edited November 2015 in General

I've looked at Observium previously and then LibreNMS when they forked. I've also tried Nagios and Check_MK but as of yet i've not decided on anything.

• What do you use? Why?
  • How much RAM does it need to run?

Thanks,

Comments

• Moved everything to LibreNMS, snmpd client on linux is very low usage but CPU can spike quite a bit.

• @linuxthefish - what kind of RAM usage do you see? Is a cheapie 128MB yearly VPS enough or do I need 256MB+? I'd also assume KVM is needed if CPU spikes?

• I have not personally used it, but "Flapjack" looks interesting.

• Following this thread.

Thanked by 2ATHK lifehome
  • librenms. I haven't yet implemented their agents, but sometimes data seems to be somewhat inaccurate over snmp v2.

• @jeromeza said:
    linuxthefish - what kind of RAM usage do you see? Is a cheapie 128MB yearly VPS enough or do I need 256MB+? I'd also assume KVM is needed if CPU spikes?

49512kb for the client

4180kb when the server is polling for a single client, 703264kb for mysql server, and a ton for Apache. All this can be optimised way more, my old Observium server was running on a 512mb VPS.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Hit my first issue with LibreNMS...

It seems you can't ADD a device unless it's SNMP enabled. Which in turn seems rather silly when they have a Linux agent (Check_MK agent actually). I don't want to have SNMP running on some devices and the fact that they're forcing me to do so is a no no.

• librenms runs fine a 128mb with nginx+php5fpmm kvm deb 7 32 bit. mariadb 10.x is off loaded to an ovz instance using around 10mb memory+40-75mb cache polling around 15 servers 5 minutes.

GM2015 said: librenms. I haven't yet implemented their agents, but sometimes data seems to be somewhat inaccurate over snmp v2.

• The problem I have with most of the monitoring tools is that mostly they just send your data in plaintext. I don't really like this. Encryption is often documented very poorly or it is very complicated to set up with monitoring programs.

Does anyone know of a good solution for this? Or do you not care about sending monitoring data in plaintext?

• AFAIK the LibreNMS agent only runs application monitoring scripts (and maybe ipmitools) so for monitoring system data you still need SNMP. SNMP is a breeze to setup though, I'm using the encrypted SNMPv3 protocol on all my dedicated and virtual boxes. The LibreNMS server runs on my trusted Prometeus SSD KVM to speed up the generation of the graphs.
    I'm running 2 parallel pollers for 30+ boxes since there's no need to run 16 pollers if I only have 2 cores on the monitoring server.

• @sirpumpkin said:
    The problem I have with most of the monitoring tools is that mostly they just send your data in plaintext. I don't really like this. Encryption is often documented very poorly or it is very complicated to set up with monitoring programs.

Does anyone know of a good solution for this? Or do you not care about sending monitoring data in plaintext?

From my testing it looks like Icinga2 uses SSL to encrypt agent > server data.

• Do ARM options like Scaleway work for monitoring? Do most monitoring platforms support ARM?

Thanked by 1maggo101
  • linuxthefish said: Moved everything to LibreNMS, snmpd client on linux is very low usage but CPU can spike quite a bit.

Any hosted solution for that?

• RolterRolter Member
    edited November 2015

This might sound odd , but i use Newrelic to monitor server metrics and uptime robot to monitor hosts .

Been thinking of setting up Nagios or Icinga for a while though.

• Observium, LibreNMS, New Relic are the tools I use.

• something selfhosted like nodequery?

• I use cloudstats,seems good till now.

• dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited November 2015

shivoham said: I use cloudstats,seems good till now.

damn expensive

$5 per Server Monitor

for people with many servers

• I use a free service, NixStats: https://freevps.us/thread-17238-post-195193.html
    It uses nearly zero RAM on my 2GB KVM box (6MB to be exact, USE THE PYTHON CLIENT).

Thanked by 2vfuse n1kko
  • @karatekidmonkey said:
    I use a free service, NixStats: https://freevps.us/thread-17238-post-195193.html
    It uses nearly zero RAM on my 2GB KVM box (6MB to be exact, USE THE PYTHON CLIENT).

But for some reason nixstats is showing cached memory on my kvm flooding me with ram exceed notifications.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

@masterqqq said:
    But for some reason nixstats is showing cached memory on my kvm flooding me with ram exceed notifications.

That should not happen, can you PM me the server which is sending these notifications?

• @vfuse said:
    That should not happen, can you PM me the server which is sending these notifications?

My kvm server can be seen here status.dntnet.com

Its sg2 and sg1 which both ram usage is real high.

I am not running the python agent btw.

• dedicados said: damn expensive

the owner gave out free accounts here, 100 Servers if i recall or checks.

• +1 for Nixstat but it is a Saas

Thanked by 1vfuse
  • Yeah, I just installed librenms on a lnmp stack on raspbian wheezy:

root@raspberrypi:/opt# nginx -v

nginx version: nginx/1.9.7

root@raspberrypi:/opt# php -v
    PHP 5.6.14-0+deb8u1 (cli) (built: Oct 28 2015 00:02:05)

root@raspberrypi:/opt# mysql -v
    Welcome to the MariaDB monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
    Your MariaDB connection id is 36
    Server version: 10.0.22-MariaDB-0+deb8u1-log (Raspbian)

jeromeza said: Do ARM options like Scaleway work for monitoring? Do most monitoring platforms support ARM?

• Cats. Lots of lots of cats.

In seriousness, I use Nixstats for my private boxes.

• edited November 2015

how do I get an Invitation Code for NixStats?

EDIT:
    Invalid invite code e-mail [email protected] to request an invite.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited November 2015

code >>> LET <<<

inthecloudblog said: how do I get an Invitation Code for NixStats?

EDIT: Invalid invite code e-mail [email protected] to request an invite.

Thanked by 2inthecloudblog vfuse
  • @GM2015 said:
    code >>> LET <<<

Thanks man. Although no data is being displayed as I understand it takes some time to sync, do you know why it says untitled server? Should I be able to tag it later on?

Regards

Thanked by 1vfuse
  • Once first sync is run, it will by default use the hostname, you can then click on this name and edit as required.