Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Donating Bandwith / Sharing VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Donating Bandwith / Sharing VPS

Hi
I have got couple of free boxes lying around.Is there anyway that you could donate the bandwith to developers/people like on xda forums and other to help them out and in doing so do not lose ownership to the vps
I have got @virmach cheap openvz vps and Out I hardly use 1% of the bandwith
Thanx in advance

Comments

• so if you dont use it, your loose it?

i think still being yours until you stop paying.

• Donate vps is most likely workable than donating bandwidth.

• its yearly...plus i think I paid five bucks for it,,,,Just for a simple squid proxy ...or openvpn server

• Public Squid Proxy.

Free SSH Tunnel / OpenVPN. :)

• Public I Think violates their TOS...

• Public is definitely a nogo, unless if you want a suspend welcome. BUT you could share it with your "friends" as it would still be considered as private. You can maybe share with members on here (that are trusted) who might need a VPN server. But keep in mind the risks about sharing VPN like DMCA for example.

Or, maybe you can setup a mirror of some sort for something?

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

If you don't want to break the terms but want to somehow utilize your bandwidth and help people out, I would definitely go with @TheOnlyDK's suggestion and set up some sort of private proxy. You could set up different authenticated users that could access it.

However I would definitely be sure and only do this with people you trust, as what happens on your VPS is your responsibility.

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • I was thinking about a mirror

• seedbox for seed needing torrents, tor relay, let other people on server have your traffic, i assume it is shared on the server

• Tor relay and torrent are a no no according to their tos

• Gonna bump this one, am looking for ways to do so, too.

Starting with seeding Ubuntu 14.04.3 desktop/server images first, but it seems to be going pretty slowly and I don't want my bandwidth to go to waste...

• It's complicated as the situation isn't like it used to be 10 years ago, when bandwidth was needed by many people/organisations.

Now it can be really cheap, there are many mirrors for most open source projects and those with streaming projetcs will likely use a commercial solution or setup their own for a few bucks...

• Why people love to 'necromize' old threads.

• Install Caddy and provide hosting for people you can trust or for open source projects.