Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Time To First Byte
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Time To First Byte

miklosmiklos Member
edited November 2015 in General

Time To First Byte is 2s + after content so its network problem or what can do with it? Anyone else was problem with it?

2071 ms First Byte Time
835 ms Target First Byte Time

Comments

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR
    edited November 2015

Most of the times it is application processing problem rather than network problem

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Well you said you're using Wordpress, so I'm going to give you my copy/paste. I found myself typing this same thing out so much that I just tossed it in an autokey:

Server response time, time to first byte, etc, all references a single point in the transaction that can be elevated by a number of variables. Basically, this is the time between the request and the received headers. Network latency is certainly a potential cause of this, but in my years of working with Wordpress sites this is almost never the actual reason. In most cases, the reason for this is that people do not realize how heavy their dynamic web applications can be. I will explain.

The transaction for a typical Wordpress site goes like this:
    1. Client requests site.
    2. Server receives request.
    3. Wordpress loads base files, themes, plugins, and then queries the database to determine how to use all of these together to form the website that you made.
    4. Wordpress returns finished product to web server.
    5. Web server returns headers to visitor.

The most crucial moment here is Step 3. The more that Wordpress has to process, the longer the web server has to wait to receive the finished product so that it can return headers to the visitor. To resolve this, you can try a few things:

1. Remove all unnecessary plugins. Disabled is not the same as removed.
    2. Remove all unused themes.
    3. Install static caching. Try using WP Super Cache for this.

The lighter the application, the faster it can return it's finished product. Static caching can mitigate a lot of this by preventing the application from constantly working so hard to return the exact same data to every visitor. Keep in mind that some plugins and themes can render static caching ineffective, and in such cases the only thing that you can really do is try to find out which is the cause and consider an alternate solution.
    Thanked by 1miklos
  • Had the same thing. 2s+ TTFB. Started disabling stuff one by one. Poorly coded footer was the cause. After removing it got 0,4-0,5s TTFB. Then just fixed it, but TTFB stayed the same. Just remove plugins one by one and and try to find what was causing slow load times, or remove everything and start adding only necessary stuff. After every change check load times.

• My web site have redirect from non www to www its take apache maybe its the problem? with www
    Your Time To First Byte is: 1.858 seconds
    without www Your Time To First Byte is: 0.170 seconds

• Not understand with www why slow and without www good?

@miklos said:
    My web site have redirect from non www to www its take apache maybe its the problem? with www
    Your Time To First Byte is: 1.858 seconds
    without www Your Time To First Byte is: 0.170 seconds

This just means without www your application processing does not kick in, it just does redirect to www

• @exception0x876 said:
    This just means without www your application processing does not kick in, it just does redirect to www

that may be problem with mysql and php? for slow loading or not have idea all is basic so ...

@miklos said:
    that may be problem with mysql and php? for slow loading or not have idea all is basic so ...

it is either bad configuration of mysql or php, or just some bad code of your website or its plugins

Thanked by 1miklos
  • @exception0x876 said:
    it is either bad configuration of mysql or php, or just some bad code of your website or its plugins

the min max spare server can do this?and start server numbers?