Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VolumeDrive vs DataShack vs Dacentec
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VolumeDrive vs DataShack vs Dacentec

rskrsk Member, Patron Provider
edited December 2012 in General

Hello LET'ers,

We are considering to expand our network, and introduce a new USA location (new as in new to our network :P)

Our choices are either

VolumeDrive or DataShack or Dacentec.

Please do let me know of any comments, or choices you as a customer would go for.

I do understand that also ping response times, and other factors will come into play - but I'm just looking at what people might prefer out of the three choices.

Regards,
R. Alkhaili

Comments

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

I've had experience with all 3 :)

I'd rule out VD straight away due to reviews and stuff I've seen. Had no problems with Datashack or Dacentec. They're both great. Support at Dacentec go above and beyond and the network is brilliant. I'm currently with Dacentec and not with Datashack anymore. Datashack may be slightly quicker on the tickets, as Dacentec can be slow"ish" sometimes but usually they're really fast.

Hope this helps

1. Datashack (Good overall, and once you get to know the staff it is easier).
    2. Dacentec (not from personal experience).
    3. VolumeDrive (rarely get downtime, but quite expensive).
  • HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited December 2012

VolumeDrive: Scranton, Pennsylvania (Moved here)
    Datashack: Kansas City, Missouri
    Dacentec: Lenior, North Carolina

Each location has its own benefits and whatnot. I have a dedicated server with Datashack and Dacentec. Both are fantastic, but atleast to me (Pennsylvania) Dacentec has better network connection. There are already a decent amount of providers at Dacentec though (UGVPS, CatalystHost) so I'd say ask them more, but both Dacentec and Datashack have pretty fantastic support (depending on who you get).

Jack is with VolumeDrive (DotVPS) and from what I hear their support is hit or miss.

@Jacob said: Datashack (Good overall, and once you get to know the staff it is easier).

Agreed. The staff (especially Adam) is extremely helpful.

@Jacob said: Dacentec (not from personal experience).

Would still put Dacentec above Datashack. Maybe it's because I've been with them longer.

@Jacob said: VolumeDrive (rarely get downtime, but quite expensive).

Support was really slow for me, so yes they are at the bottom for me too.

Regards

@HalfEatenPie said: Jacob is with VolumeDrive (DotVPS)

Jacob = EaseVPS
    Jack = DotVPS :P

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited December 2012

@dominicl said: Jacob = EaseVPS

Jack = DotVPS :P

I already fixed it immediately after I posted it.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

I'm impressed by the replies :)

How about from a provider's point of view, client's would prefer which of the three networks?

Also, it is better to offer a service where there are less providers - no point in offering services from a datacenter that has 5+ other hosts, as it will be better to provide a service elsewhere.

What do you guys think? :)

• Personally, I would choose support as the biggest factor. If I have a server that goes down at 2AM in the night, I can rely on datashack to reply within 10 minutes and get a KVM hooked on to it.

Where as any power / network issues with volumedrive get resolved quite fast, but I haven't had any hardware faults with them yet so not experienced that side of things.

@rsk said: client's would prefer which of the three networks?

• @Jacob said: Datashack (Good overall, and once you get to know the staff it is easier).

Dacentec (not from personal experience).
    VolumeDrive (rarely get downtime, but quite expensive).

Couldn't have said it better.

1. Datashack/WSI
    2. Dacentec
    3. VolumeDrive (using the Burst.net DC I believe)
  • Congrats for your success @rsk and your expansions

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I have nodes at dacentec. They are pretty good.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Dacentec is going to be more flexible for a vps host. Don't use VolumeDrive for clients.

• I actually love DataShack. I have a shared hosting node there and recently once of my clients has been getting DDoS with 2-3Gbit floods for about 5 min. They work with me to try and stop the floods. It is actually realllllly nice of them.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

DataShack is a favorite of mine. I have a shared hosting server there, as well as one of those hard-to-get HP Blade servers for $35 (well, I opted for two disks in RAID so $40)
    Their staff is nice, and they reply extremely quickly.
    Their network is decently. Obviously Softlayer or SingleHop has a better network but DataShack is like 1/10 the price!
    Never had any downtime and never had any network issues.
    However I'm in the process of cancelling the VPS node I have with DataShack and I'm waiting on the SP1 I ordered from OVH.us to be set up... I think that OVH.us has an equally good if not better network, and the main thing is, I can call them up :) You can't call DataShack. Sure, they respond quickly from their billing system, but it's nice to be able to call a company.
    And OVH is slightly cheaper :)
    Happy Holidays everyone!

• @shovenose just be careful at OVH because if you get a DDoS they could term your server or force you to reinstall. Happens all the time.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Well, I'll do my best to screen my customers carefully then :) I don't tolerate spam or hacking on my services.

• Dacentec has been surprisingly good. We have been in there for about 4 months and they have really impressed me with the level of support they provide. They helped us mitigate a DDOS a while back and the support tech emailed back and forth so fast you would have thought we were in chat.

Their routes are pretty good also.. Even the routes to Europe are good as our average ping time to Europe is around 110-130ms.

We have no experience with Datashack or VD so I cannot comment on them.

• Right now Dacentec, i have a dedi with them so far good connection, I will post a benchmark with serverbear ina couple of hours.

Anyway so far support is fast only slow for 3 or 5 hours.

• Personally, I've used datashack(used, didn't like, gave away 2 dedis here free) and it sucked for me.

Dacentec looks good though(never tried) and VolumeDrive, well judging by reviews they have some pretty bad reviews.

• Can recommend Dacentec, have a personal server there. Datashack is equally good as well.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited December 2012

If you are going to expand, why not look for an area that isn't already flooded by LEB VPS providers. Something a little more exotic. May cost you a bit more, but you will be somewhere everyone else is not. TBH I avoid purchasing servers in all three of those locations my self, as I see that market over saturated. I do not need more than 1 server in any of those locations... seeing as their is like 10 providers in each of them already, I think your just walking into competition right off the bat. Spend some time, find a slightly higher quality data center, buy your own hardware to colo and offer something no one else is. One example might be trying to colo or host with Expedient (they have 7 different data centers throughout the US) as I know of no vps hosts in their data centers. May be a bit more expensive or require you to get your own hardware, but it is a network that isn't already home to a butt load of vps providers already.

P.S. I have no association with expedient and do not host with them my self now. However, I grew up in Pittsburgh, PA and am familiar with dealing with them and know a few guys that work in sales there. If you need a contact to reach out to there just send me a pm.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• I have some really good suggestions @rsk, but I can share on in private, I am also looking to order some, may be we can combine the orders and take discount.

• @rsk, the question here is since you are provider, do you rent gear or colo gear?

If you colo or intend on you have Dacentec and Datashack (Wholesale Internet).

If you rent dedicated for business resale, you have Dacentec and Datshack.

Volumedrive shouldn't even be a consideration. At last check they don't even have a proper ticketing system. Couldn't imagine having paying clients with VPS containers on their gear. Some changes going on recently or will be with moving clients and gear around. Unsure how that will end up, but having been a customer in the past, let's say I won't be considering them in the future (ticketing, downtime, network that is blah).

Datashack is alright, good network and great throughput. But have to be careful and make sure you end up in Oak Tower. Their new location is an offsite location and could experience long wait times on tickets (my recent experience). To insure you end up in Wholesale's facility in Oak, I'd say consider Wholesale Internet first and Datashack second. Datashack and Wholesale are same company per se. Aaron from Wholesale owns the property where Datashack is and same network.

Dacentec is very good and honest. Setup times are SLA guaranteed 24 hours, which they meet. Compare that to 2-3 or more days for Wholesale/Datshack. Real impressed with Dacentec. Downside to Dacentec is it is US East Coast, so latency from other US time zones will increase, especially from US West Coast. Won't be so great if you are interested in servicing clients from Asia.

@FRESH_DOMAINS said: I have some really good suggestions @rsk, but I can share on in private, I am also looking to order some, may be we can combine the orders and take discount.

@FRESH_DOMAINS if it is from reputable DC's, then please do let me know.

@pubcrawler - we rent gear for the current time. When we plan to colo, it will be within Dubai (as that was our main intention).

Thanks for your guidance mate, I will be looking into the options.

Regards

• @rsk
    I just sent you a PM

• HostingAboveHostingAbove Member
    edited January 2013

Hello LET Members,

Thought I'd give some feedback on some hands on experience with two of the three providers up for discussion above.

Dacentec

We have been with Dacentec for nearly 8 months now, starting with a few dedicated servers and now having multiple racks from business growth. For whenever we needed to contact them, responses have always been within an hour, which I would assume you can only expect from their phenomenal rates, bandwidth, and infrastructure they offer.

On all our racks we have a 100 - 1000mbit commitments, which I can vouch is no "over-sold network". When shipping servers/equipment to their facility, they do request for the tracking information and are ones to follow-up and through. Typically, once the package arrives at the facility, we typically see 3-4 hour reaction time. In my books, overall company, costs, and service would be a 9/10 in my books. Pleasure to do business with and are always happy to help with their local based teams.

VolumeDrive

Haven't been with these guys for a few years. When I was with them I had waited 3 weeks for the server, and would have to send multiple emails for them to respond back. I can see that they still do not have a ticketing system nor a client portal login for invoice tracking purposes. The only reason I wanted to give them a "try", was because of their amazing pricing for back in the days, especially for a Quad Core to be around 50 bucks w/ Unmetered Bandwidth. Setup / Deployment times were dependent on the day and wether the wind was on your side. Overall, competitors in the market have became more aggressive now offering pricing around VolumeDrive, which in the day the light would shine on them for their offerings rather than now, I would recommend that you check out a few other providers rather than making the jump.

DataShack

Had attempted to contact them nearly a year ago looking at a custom configuration. Didn't get a response back till this day.

Anyways, just my above opinions and experiences. Hope this helps and best of luck with choosing your future provider.

Thanks,
    Tanner

@HostingAbove said: Dacentec

My top favourite :) Love them - no complaints, ever.

• Avoid Volumedrive. close your service temporally and say sorry we are under ddos attack, we activate as soon possible.

• Only i have the vps 3 days. I buy a cpanel license in buycpanel for nothing
    • never give me back the vps
    • send more invoices to pay for another month.
    • i request refund
    • they say my customers made a ddos atack ( not true)
    • i ask for proofs
    • they not give me proofs only say, check the tos
    • They ruined my relationship with two good customers
    • End..
    • my customer go with godaddy vps Fuck!!
  • only a scam
    They say
    "Hello,

Your VPS was suspended for an incoming/outgoing DDoS attack. It caused a network disruption that brought the whole server down.

We'll remove the suspension later today.

Best Regards,
    Dominick D. "

• Remove the suspension never happend.
      :(