Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low end server recommendations
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low end server recommendations

jbxljbxl Member
edited December 2012 in Providers

I'd like to hear what people here would recommend to use as a low end server provider. I currently have colocation on the west coast for a few servers and I am looking at setting up a single server as a live backup for a few critical services.

Minimum specs:

4-8GB RAM (or more)
2 cores (i3 is best, Atom is ok)
Mirrored hard drives (software RAID ok) 500GB +

Facility should have IPv6
5+ IPv4 addresses available (looking for a /28, a /29 will do)

Good bandwidth as I will be doing file transfers

I've been looking at FDC servers in Denver and OVH so far. OVH seems to have a number of detractors here and some red flags. I'm definitely willing to pay more than they are charging for good service. FDC's lack of UPS power makes it less attractive as well.

I'd like to spend somewhere between $40-$80/month depending on server specs.

Comments

• Check out DataShack / VolumeDrive / DaCentec (Usually post offers on WHT) / Joe's Datacenter.

• Hetzner?

• DataShack and WSI have some offers up in the Dedicated Server bit of WHT. It may be worth dredging around there.

• Are you looking to rent a dedicated server @jbxl? Sounds like it.

FDC is crap, been crap and likely always will be crap. No UPS?!?! That's suicide.

OVH has tons of problems and as a 1 server client they couldn't give a crap less as we've seen in the past and recently here. Plus they are far remove from West Coast. Closest they get is there peering (which they in fairness do have in upwards of dozen or so North American locations).

This is a current offer from Fiberhub / Versaweb. They own their facility in Vegas.

Intel Core i5-2500 Value Server - Limited Stock!

Intel Core i5-2500 Quad Core 3.3Ghz
    16GB DDR3-1333 RAM Memory
    1TB SATA HDD or 120GB SSD
    25TB Premium Bandwidth / 1Gbps Port
    5 IP's / Private VLAN
    Remote Reboot

WHT Sale Price - $79 per month!
    Free RAM Upgrade! Select 3-Month Billing and we will DOUBLE your RAM free!

Additionally there is the option of Wholesale / Datashack in Kansas City. Should be fine with rental, colo, well, I'd stick that in Wholesale's facility.

Dacentec has ongoing rent to own servers that are mighty popular with folks here. All those Lenoir, North Carolina based offerings are out of that facility and on those boxes.

Those are the best and most commonly known bang for the buck places right now.

• @pubcrawler that's a great deal on the i5. It's a little too close to my current colocation for comfort though. The KS and NC locations look the most attractive.

Have you or anyone else used Dacentec or Datashack for more than a year who can comment on the support of those two providers?

• How much monthly transfer do you need?

• This is going to be a backup server and I only have a few sites. Initially 1-2TB will be plenty, but I'd like a facility that can handle traffic as things grow. For backup images its more about throughput (and drive space) for me as well.

• If it is a backup system, KimSufi are the best.

• @jbxl does this have to be in US?

• @Jacob no, it doesn't need to be in the US if the available bandwidth is good. I was looking in the EU as well. Have not had the time to look outside US/EU/CA

• @darknessends Are the atom based KimSufi available in the US? I'd consider getting one to try in addition to the backup dedi.

• @jbxl said: jbxl 12:49AM Flag

@darknessends Are the atom based KimSufi available in the US? I'd consider getting one to try in addition to the backup dedi.

Yes they are, they have a dc called BHS in North America, you can go at ovh.ca and order one there.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

If EU is ok for you try Prometeus (IT) or EDIS (AT)

• @gbshouse Found EDIS. Do you have a link for Prometeus? Not sure which one.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2012

@jbxl - I think Prometeus do not offer colo as such be try to talk to Uncle Sal ( @prometeus )

• Dedibox Calssic+ from online.net (France) seems to meet your needs:

8GB RAM
    Intel Xeon * 1
    1TB drive * 2
    unlimited bandwidth
    29.99 €

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited December 2012

@darknessends said: Yes they are

No they aren't dumbass, only i3 and E3. You're not helping him by just guessing they do

Ontopic:
    Try @Jeffrey who sells VPS'es from BHS, even though, won't a mKS 2G do well due to OVH's peering network?

• The i3 is definitely in my range... but its not at a throw away price like the atom units. Anyone been able to order from ovh.ie? My reason for asking about the atom servers is its not enough money to impact my budget to get a better machine somewhere else.

A vps is a no go for me in this case as I want to carve it up into my own VPSes

• Question is what is your budget? Is it really on the $0-50 range?

And, what is your geography preference?

Lots of offers out there. Limiting the market helps.

• @BronzeByte said: @darknessends said: Yes they are

No they aren't dumbass, only i3 and E3. You're not helping him by just guessing they do

Ontopic:

Try @Jeffrey who sells VPS'es from BHS, even though, won't a mKS 2G do well due to OVH's peering network?

KIMSUFI is available @ BHS - no doubt in this.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

You may wish to avoid EU if you are on the west coast.
    BW is certainly good and affordable in some places over here, but the speed will not be the greatest, you will have about 5-10 MB with some of the best providers.
    Kimsufi in .ca is the best bet as a secondary backup, other than that, I dont know NA backups places, I have tons of backing up to do and even if I do it once a day will still not finish in 24 hours.
    Speaking of backup, I got the crashplan special offer in the black friday and now wanted to put it to work, i get 1 mbps in the best times, around 800 k average, it is certainly not for europeans.

• @chihcherng said: Dedibox Calssic+ from online.net (France) seems to meet your needs:

8GB RAM

Intel Xeon * 1
    1TB drive * 2
    unlimited bandwidth
    29.99 €

ONLY FRANCE PEOPLE

• @pubcrawler my price range is $50-$80 not $0-$50.

I don't expect to get much if I'm not able to spend at least $50. I'd be fine with an atom level server if it had at least two drives. I'm on a limited budget and want a place to back up services that are not heavily utilized. When reflecting on this its most important that I try to get into a quality facility with reasonable support.

Reasonable support for me is someone who will answer emergencies fast and routine stuff within a day or so. I don't need hand holding and if I have KVM/remote reboot I'll fix most things myself, but when things hit the fan the last thing I want is dead air.

Location isn't terribly pinned down. My current hosting is in Nevada so I wanted to pick someplace removed from there for some geographic separation. East coast would be ideal for me, but where I am closest in the North East is the most expensive. When I started looking originally I was also looking in the UK and NL for hosting out of the US.

I'm looking for good bang for your buck locations where I can likely stay long term and grow. I was initially looking in Chicago and Denver. Anywhere geographically removed from the west coast is fine. Both the NC and Kansas City MO locations look good.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@jbxl said: I don't expect to get much if I'm not able to spend at least $50. I'd be fine with an atom level server if it had at least two drives

Prometeus can give you an atom for that money with 2 drives. 100 mbps port, d525 supermicro brand.
    The downside of that is the Italy location.

• @Maounique said: Prometeus can give you an atom for that money with 2 drives. 100 mbps port, d525 supermicro brand.

The downside of that is the Italy location.

Really?? for $50bucks? where to check..

• mahjongmahjong Member
    edited December 2012

https://order.server4you.com/pages/dedicated/index.php (they have USA location, 200$ setup fee once, or +10$ every month)
    or
    https://robot.your-server.de/order/market (no setup fee, quite cheap)

• Thanks everyone for your input. I've got a lot of information to process through

• edited December 2012

whoops

• wouldnt recommend server4you because their network is trash in st louis

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@zachfedora said: I believe this was decided at least a year ago, that the world was, in fact, not going to end.

However, it was also decided that it would be the most annoying day in social networking history.

I think you're in the wrong thread ;)