Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quality of posts at LEB
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Quality of posts at LEB

NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

I think we can all agree that the quality of content posted to LEB is not good usually, but I fail to understand how some things happen even if posts are written and published really fast.

Latest example but just one of many...

Random Egyptian host which isn't a registered business, doesn't seem to be using RAID and is running a nulled WHMCS:
http://lowendbox.com/blog/vps-need-rochester-based-openvz-vps-starting-at-3-50month-for-512-mb/

People points out in the comments that the advertised location is wrong and they are indeed hosting at a different state, no one from staff seems to care and the offer is never corrected or even pulled for using a pirated billing system.

Two months after that, they send a very similar offer still advertising a wrong location, still with a nulled WHMCS and still them "working on registering as a company". Again, the offer is published:
http://lowendbox.com/blog/vps-need-3month-512-mb-openvz-and-more-in-rochester-ny-usa/

Really, I understand that the main interest of keeping LEB up is just to promote ColoCrossing brands and customers, but can't you guys just do two minutes of background checking for new hosts?

Comments

• Agreed. Sometimes authors can not be blamed to check all details of the new hosts, but they shall at least update their posts accordingly or point out the problems others have found.

• I'm sad, http://shamelesshosts.com isn't updated anymore :(

• Who cares anyways? LEB hasnt had a good deal in 2 years.

Thanked by 34n0nx J1021 rm_
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

JoeMerit said: LEB hasnt had a good deal in 2 years.

I don't agree. Not a lot of good/remarkable deals for sure, but there have been a few.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Definitely welcome suggestions. We want to offer diversity and valuable content and deals, seems this time we didn't do our best.

• Comment area could be moderated more, seeing more spam/snipes (usually assumptions, not 'a real issue') at providers by comments.

• sinsin Member
    edited October 2015

Looking at the host you were talking about "VPS Need" ...what is "Brust Ram" ? Some kind of super ram?

edited October 2015

sin said: Looking at the host you were talking about "VPS Need" ...what is "Brust Ram" ? Some kind of super ram?

Burst RAM was used for OpenVZ before VSwap. It's just "not guaranteed" RAM which you can use if it's available (which is usually the case).

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2015

You're definitely touching near some topics of discussion with the community advisors as well. Honestly, @mpkossen is a beast and I'm just now starting to learn what it's like for him day to day running LE*. Some great ideas to improve quality and spice things up are being tossed back and forth to see how they land.

Stay tuned, don't count this place out yet ;)

• JoeMerit said: Who cares anyways? LEB hasnt had a good deal in 2 years.

^^^^^^

It appears the lowend providers can't keep up with the big corporations. Why pay double, same, or minimally less for a product that is inferior in every way?

• @4n0nx said:
    It appears the lowend providers can't keep up with the big corporations. Why pay double, same, or minimally less for a product that is inferior in every way?

it is often the case when the big boys enter the market: they can win by having small margins per customer due to scale, and while most people will say they'd prefer the less faceless support of a smaller company they aren't willing to pay extra for it at the point they chose where to host (and many of the small cheap options are no less faceless anyway because their margins are so low without the volume that the big boys have to offset that).

That is why the proportion of good hosts falls rapidly: When it becomes harder to do something right some of the good ones close and less of the new ones do it right from the start. Some do still manage to compete without going to seed, of course.

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

jbiloh said: Definitely welcome suggestions. We want to offer diversity and valuable content and deals, seems this time we didn't do our best.

We've been waiting over one year for one of our offers to get published, and about two months for another. We were told that you have too many offers from the US and that queue is much longer - but I'm not sure if that's the case after seeing this.

So I definitely don't see how it's justifiable to have this host's offer published twice that's (1) not a registered business, (2) offers only one location in the US, (3) has a nulled WHMCS, (4) been in business about half a year, when I'm sure many other legitimate hosts like us just get turned down with a trivial reason or do not even get a response. We've been working hard for several months to expand our locations and after we expand into different locations than just New York and improve our service and our pricing, we're told that you're not looking for US offers. Was this shady "business" in the queue longer than us? How did they manage to get two offers in two months when the wait time to get your offer even looked at is one month?

Maybe if diversity is actually a concern, here's a suggestion: start off with not having the same host's offer twice in a few months so others get a chance.

Thanked by 2William Aga
  • sinsin Member

Nyr said: Burst RAM was used for OpenVZ before VSwap. It's just "not guaranteed" RAM which you can use if it's available (which is usually the case).

I was just joking about the RAM :) thought their spelling error was kind of funny - you're totally right about the quality of Lowendbox offers though...some are just pretty bad.

• Just for the record, these guys seem to be using Blesta, not WHMCS. So, I'm wondering where the nulled WHMCS is coming from.

• and a nulled whmcs wont really matter in places like egypt etc. it's a bit silly using it since its probably filled with backdoors.

• @TarZZ92 said:
    and a nulled whmcs wont really matter in places like egypt etc. it's a bit silly using it since its probably filled with backdoors.

It doesn't seem to be a nulled WHMCS. It's just Nyr saying that at this time. When you click one of the order links you go to a Blesta system.

mpkossen said: It doesn't seem to be a nulled WHMCS. It's just Nyr saying that at this time. When you click one of the order links you go to a Blesta system.

No, I am not getting crazy. They seem to have switched after being called out instead of paying. Can check for yourself, the links in the August offer point to cart.php and they are now getting redirected to Blesta.

TarZZ92 said: and a nulled whmcs wont really matter in places like egypt etc. it's a bit silly using it since its probably filled with backdoors.

It does matter if only for the ethical questions, not to say nulled products aren't obtained from official sources.

Thanked by 2William angrysnarl
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@mpkossen said:
    It doesn't seem to be a nulled WHMCS. It's just Nyr saying that at this time. When you click one of the order links you go to a Blesta system.

Come on Maarten, you could at least check with the post first. Look at the order links in the LEB post, they are WHMCS style. Maybe just maybe, they had a nulled WHMCS at the time Nyr posted it..

• @Infinity said:
    Come on Maarten, you could at least check with the post first. Look at the order links in the LEB post, they are WHMCS style. Maybe just maybe, they had a nulled WHMCS at the time Nyr posted it..

The point I'm trying to make is that some people are drawing conclusions before they know what's going on, before they know all the details.

Just like this guy:

VirMach said: So I definitely don't see how it's justifiable to have this host's offer published twice that's (1) not a registered business, (2) offers only one location in the US, (3) has a nulled WHMCS, (4) been in business about half a year, when I'm sure many other legitimate hosts like us just get turned down with a trivial reason or do not even get a response.

There's a number of reasons the WHMCS license check can fail. If it fails, it's not safe to say a WHMCS installation is nulled. The only thing it does is enable you to contact WHMCS to investigate, which is what has hopefully happened.

VirMach said: Maybe if diversity is actually a concern, here's a suggestion: start off with not having the same host's offer twice in a few months so others get a chance.

We continue to work on diversity and I have made new plans to improve it. I'll discuss them with Jon over the weekend and I'll make a plan on when to introduce them.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited October 2015

Suggestions

Have some metadata per posting. domain age can be included. Obviously whatever you do, people will push the limits.

Charge $10 per posting, or $20. Call it a fee for the time taken to verify some things about the host. If their business model can't handle it, they're not good for the end user.

mpkossen said: The point I'm trying to make is that some people are drawing conclusions before they know what's going on

Just like you just did?

You also didn't address any of the other 100 % verifiable concerns like advertising a false location, but I can't say I'm surprised.

Thanked by 3Brad angrysnarl bersy
  • Nyr said: Just like you just did?

The fact that you are asking this questions emphasizes the fact that you didn't get the point.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@VirMach said:
    Maybe if diversity is actually a concern, here's a suggestion: start off with not having the same host's offer twice in a few months so others get a chance.

Private message maarten your offer ticket so he can check this out.

• mpkossen said: There's a number of reasons the WHMCS license check can fail.

We have faced the same issue a while back. We were mapping our WHMCS to another domain and doing some stuff (yeah, stuff) with our WHMCS. Few guys had reported our installation because it showed us as nulled.

• @sdglhm said:
    We have faced the same issue a while back. We were mapping our WHMCS to another domain and doing some stuff (yeah, stuff) with our WHMCS. Few guys had reported our installation because it showed us as nulled.

Some people just seem to be out for blood or drama and that's really sad.

• mpkossen said: Some people just seem to be out for blood or drama and that's really sad.

Agreed.

Thanked by 128Tom
  • Nice follow up.

Thanked by 2Nyr 4n0nx
  • @Nyr said:
    mpkossen since you didn't care to ask them, I did:

https://i.nyr.es/Captura-de-pantalla-2015-11-04-a-las-17.22.29-p4n8RohA8S.png

At least it's not "just me saying that" now.

Would be nice to see their offer removed entirely now.

Thanked by 2Nyr 4n0nx
  • @mpkossen

I understand running this maybe hard and stressful and I am glad you have not taken a WHT style action towards this thread. LEB was the reason I originally started lurking on LET. See other people's views on ram nodes latest post or discuss a tutorial and improve it. But sadly LEB has gone down hill and many people feel the same HOWEVER it can be improved. It's not a massive case of diversity it's giving us what we want and what we think "hmmm I might grab one of those"

Asda Value chocolate does not make you think hmmm this is a really good deal at 17p I will grab one.

Galaxy caramel half price at 75p does. It's the right mix between quality and price. From my perspective there is a few hosts that should be on LEB tonight. That would be ZXPlay run by @AshleyUk, Inception hosting run by @AnthonySmith, LunaNode NEEDs a slot on LEB and actually @dacentec. They haven't had a ad on whereas some of these VPSNeed kids have.

I'm not perfect I will have put points you can argue with but the end of the day if you have time to argue back here you have time to check if they are using a valid WHMCS. Period.

Thanked by 1perennate