Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is IPv6 available from your home/office network?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

elgselgs Member
edited October 2015 in General

I think it will be difficult for IPv6 to be generally accepted until everybody can access IPv6 services from home/office broadband. I'm trying to make some sense how acceptable IPv6 only services/servers it is and is going to be. The questions in this poll are trying to understand how near/far IPv6 is from us.

1. Is IPv6 available from your home network?119 votes
    1. Yes.
      36.97%
    2. No.
      63.03%
  2. Is IPv6 available from your office network?119 votes
    1. Yes.
      29.41%
    2. No.
      70.59%

Comments

• There should be a choice "available, but not in use".

Thanked by 1elgs
  • Home = no native, but yes he tunnel.

ISP said IPv6 isn't available cuz the web isn't ready for it (LOLz) and residential lines can't have them right now. Business lines can, but with an extra fee. I LOLed and hang up.

Thanked by 1elgs
  • elgselgs Member
    edited October 2015

@rds100 said:
    There should be a choice "available, but not in use".

That falls into the choice of available. I'm trying to see how much IPv6 only services/servers could be accepted by the market.

• I have both HE tunnel and just received a native (dynamic) allocation a month or so ago from my ISP.

Thanked by 1elgs
  • elgselgs Member
    edited October 2015

@VPSSoldiers said:
    I have both HE tunnel and just received a native (dynamic) allocation a month or so ago from my ISP.

Thanks @VPSSoldiers. HE tunnel together with their education/certificate program is really good.

Your ISP gives you a DYNAMIC!!! allocation of IPv6? Maybe they are not happy if you host your heavy services with their network? I'm not sure.

• elgs said: Your ISP gives you a DYNAMIC!!! allocation of IPv6?

Easier to manage on the DSLAMs.

To topic: No and No.

Thanked by 1elgs
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Dynamic IPv6 allocation...?

• @VPSSoldiers, do they give you dynamic /128 or /64?

• elgs said: That falls into the choice of available. I'm trying to see how much IPv6 only services/servers could be accepted by the market.

Well, ipv6 is available in our office. But for instance our accountant is probably never getting an ipv6 address - she doesn't need it on her PC. She's not getting a real IP address either, she stays behind NAT for the time being. This is what i mean by "available, but not in use".

Thanked by 1elgs
  • hawchawc Moderator, LIR

No and No. Home is Virgin Media, and "office" is Jisc/Janet

• Clouvider said: Dynamic IPv6 allocation...?

Currently I'm with Time Warner but that is supposed to be changing...

elgs said: @VPSSoldiers, do they give you dynamic /128 or /64?

I don't remember what it was, but I just checked and it has disappeared again... Glad I still have HE...

Thanked by 1elgs
  • deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep

I have native IPv6 connectivity on my ADSL2+ home connection in Australia.

• Virgin Media will have native ipv6 sooner than working internet with low packet loss.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

Thinking about it, Jisc/Janet really should have it. Being an education network and all that.

@hawc said:
    Thinking about it, Jisc/Janet really should have it. Being an education network and all that.

They have.

http://bgp.he.net/AS786#_prefixes6

End site has to probably request (and maybe pay?) it I suppose.

• @hawc said:
    No and No. Home is Virgin Media, and "office" is Jisc/Janet

We have Jisc/Janet is the office too, it seems they have a /32 IPv6 block but don't seem to be using it for anything. Shame really, it'd be nice to have v6 at work.

• Home - no, on China Telecom. But using CERNET's paid service to use IPv6.

Dorm - no, CT too.

• elgs said: @VPSSoldiers, do they give you dynamic /128 or /64?

I just checked at the modem level, seems pfSense hasn't grabbed the IPv6 address. Its a /56

• @VPSSoldiers said:
    I just checked at the modem level, seems pfSense hasn't grabbed the IPv6 address. Its a /56

So you got a /56 on your modem?

• Well thats what the POS shows lol I don't really trust Time Warner modems or for that matter Time Warner anything (side rant, they jacked my price up $20 more this month and I've woken up 5 days without internet /rant) I can't seem to get pfSense to pick up any addresses from it though

• I'm getting a /64 in my home network through 6rd, is that considered native?

• AltAlt Member

Yes and yes.
    Thanks to our great ISP... oh wait, no! Thanks to Hurricane Electric for providing free tunnels!

Thanked by 1elgs

whatever is delivered by your provider is considered native.

• @wwabbit said:
    I'm getting a /64 in my home network through 6rd, is that considered native?

I guess native is as opposed to tunneled, like HE tunnel. When it is tunneled, the IPv6 network has to work on top of the IPv4 address. So I think if the IPv6 address works independently without the IPv4 address, it should be considered native. My $.02.

• Yes, both have native IPv6. At home I get a /64 out of the providers bigger range. Every 24 hours I get a new /64 as a privacy mechanism.

• Hidden_Refuge said: Every 24 hours I get a new /64 as a privacy mechanism.

Lolwut? Who provides you with this?

• @Hidden_Refuge said:
    Yes, both have native IPv6. At home I get a /64 out of the providers bigger range. Every 24 hours I get a new /64 as a privacy mechanism.

When you get a new /64 every 24 hour, do you return the old /64?

• How do you choose the last 64 bits of your ipv6 address? Is it automatically, via SLAAC? If yes, there is no privacy - everyone knows your MAC address and can track you based on this information.

• teknolaizteknolaiz Member
    edited October 2015

@elgs said:

Yes, of course.

@rds100 Not over SLAAC. However dumb Android 4.4.2 is doing it over SLAAC. :( I have 5.1.1 since the last week and it's not anymore over SLAAC. Privacy extension is enabled on all devices.

• @singsing said:
    Lolwut? Who provides you with this?

DTAG. Privacy level 2 settings in the router disconnect every 24 hours to get a new IPv4 and a random new IPv6 /64 prefix.