Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

need (additional) IPv6 address space
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

need (additional) IPv6 address space

I'm in the market for additional IPv6 address space, to use with my RIPE ASN.

It's for an anycasting project, which includes nodes within RIPE zone and outside of RIPE zone.

Right now I have 2 /48s and I would like at least 2 more. I would obviously prefer to have all my /48s with one LIR so I pay only one renewal, so 4 or more would be ideal, but 2 only can be considered.

My current LIR doesn't want to give me additional space as they aren't sure it's allowed by RIPE rules.

In the interests of full disclosure, right now I only have one node "working" (i.e., at least announcing) within EU, but I will be looking to increase that.

Quotes requested; please let me know price and number of /48s you can provide.

Comments

• Are you looking for PI space?

• rauppe31rauppe31 Member, Host Rep

The Problem is you need to present RIPE a good reason why you need a second, third and fourth /48 PI subnet.

I can provide it, if PA space is ok for you.

• patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR

You can ask RIPE if this usage is with their policies. I think it should not be a problem if it's anycasted.

About the amount of /48s: You should provide them some technical reasons why you need more than one /48.

• singsing said: I would obviously prefer to have all my /48s with one LIR so I pay only one renewal, so 4 or more would be ideal, but 2 only can be considered.

You always pay per network with RIPE, not per customer - So 4 /48 PI cost you 200EUR/yr directly at RIPE.

• singsing said: I would obviously prefer to have all my /48s with one LIR so I pay only one renewal, so 4 or more would be ideal, but 2 only can be considered.

You always pay per network with RIPE, not per customer - So 4 /48 PI cost you 200EUR/yr directly at RIPE.

• Thanks for the info, everyone.

I've reconsidered, mainly because the logistics of getting new space unfiltered is too involved and problems with one of my /48s have been solved.

@william If you can justify 4 /48, RIPE will assign /46 and as you pay per network, costs will be 50€.

• patrick7 said: If you can justify 4 /48, RIPE will assign /46 and as you pay per network, costs will be 50€.

Interesting ...

Not clear what RIPE would accept as justification in this case though. I forget the details (I'm not a fan of bureaucracy), but the LIR who got my ASN had some conversations with them that were not exactly encouraging regarding giving out either PI or PA space for anycasting purposes. Also, a complicating factor is that my business is in good 'ol U.S. & A., not even in EU. I'm only using RIPE because ARIN charges $400 for an AS number ...

The main problem here is that a /48, while a stupendous amount of address space, is basically only one announce. If it were permitted to announce /128s, I'd be all set with just a /126 of address space.

• @singsing said:
    The main problem here is that a /48, while a stupendous amount of address space, is basically only one announce. If it were permitted to announce /128s, I'd be all set with just a /126 of address space.

This. It's so annoying! Also, @singsing, want to peer?

• @singsing said:

On the other hand, if everyone would and could announce several single /128 without it being filtered away, the internet routing tables would literally explode. But I was struggling with such limitations aswell, luckily I've got now a mix of PI&PA space to cover my needs.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

RIPE only gives a /48?

• Could go get some from Hostus if you need more than a /48... they seem to go up to a /32 block of IPv6

https://my.hostus.us/cart.php?gid=14

Reasonable pricing they have on IPv6 addresses.

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
  • patrick7 said: If you can justify 4 /48, RIPE will assign /46 and as you pay per network, costs will be 50€.

Obviously - OP however stated he HAS space already and wants additional, thus he will have to pay - RIPE will not enlarge the existing PI.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited October 2015

KuJoe said: RIPE only gives a /48?

As PI to end-users yes (up to /45 in reality with very, very solid justification, /48 with next to zero), LIRs by default get a /29.

• @William said:
    As PI to end-users yes (up to /45 in reality with very, very solid justification, /48 with next to zero), LIRs by default get a /29.

Do the addresses you provide through http://ip6.im/ have a catch?

• NeoXiDNeoXiD Member
    edited October 2015

@0xdragon said:
    Do the addresses you provide through http://ip6.im/ have a catch?

It's PA only ofcourse but there isn't any catch at all, using them since a few months together with some PI space. It's just a generous offer from @William, as he owns more than enough IPv6 space to give that away.

• 0xdragon said: Do the addresses you provide through http://ip6.im/ have a catch?

No, it just makes no sense to bill for it when RIPE gives you 512000 /48 by default.

• @NeoXiD said:
    It's PA only ofcourse but there isn't any catch at all, using them since a few months together with some PI space. It's just a generous offer from @William, as he owns more than enough IPv6 space to give that away.

Fair enough, I just want to get some space for my ASN, as I have a /48, and would like a /44. Why? Because Australian data retention laws, that's why.

• singsingsingsing Member
    edited October 2015

William said: Obviously - OP however stated he HAS space already and wants additional, thus he will have to pay - RIPE will not enlarge the existing PI.

Just to clarify I only have PA right now.

I may be looking at getting more space in a few months. For now I really need to get more nodes online, which is has been slow so far but will hopefully work faster now that I have scripts for configuring everything.

0xdragon said: Fair enough, I just want to get some space for my ASN, as I have a /48, and would like a /44.

Whaaaaat? A free /44? Is it permitted to dice this into /48s to announce? (Before someone accuses me of hurting the Internet, I have no plans to put more than 3 concurrent announces).

• @singsing said:
    Whaaaaat? A fee /44? Is it permitted to dice this into /48s to announce? (Before someone accuses me of hurting the Internet, I have no plans to put more than 3 concurrent announces).

Yeah, that's my plan :D

• NeoXiDNeoXiD Member
    edited October 2015

@0xdragon said:
    @singsing said:

You'll receive up to a suballocated /44 from William and are able to create your own suballocations (directly at RIPE), like several /48. So yes, you can totally use that space to announce several /48.

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member
    edited October 2015

If it's only for a small project then I don't see the point in paying for PI space. Just get some more PA space.

@rmlhhd PI-Space is never allocated. You can only get assignments.

• singsing said: Whaaaaat? A free /44? Is it permitted to dice this into /48s to announce? (Before someone accuses me of hurting the Internet, I have no plans to put more than 3 concurrent announces).

Sure, announce it however you want up to le 48.