Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PPTP still useful for many things.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PPTP still useful for many things.

smansman Member
edited October 2015 in General

Discuss

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Tried not using PPTP? There are tons of alternatives, like SSTP, L2TP

Thanked by 2teknolaiz Janevski
  • smansman Member
    edited October 2015

@netomx said:
    Tried not using PPTP? There are tons of alternatives, like SSTP, L2TP

Sigh...I thought there would at least be a few legit posts before the "it's not secure" derailers started infesting the thread.

I connect with pptp because it's easy to set up on linux and windows and just works...until now. I connect with pptp. pptp is how I connect. pptp is what I use. pptp just works for what I want to do.

If I wanted advice on alternatives I would have asked for it.

@sman said:
    Sigh...I thought there would at least be a few legit posts before the "it's not secure" derailers started infesting the thread.

I'm sorry pal, but it is the way to go. PPTP is dead :(

• smansman Member
    edited October 2015

@netomx said:
    I'm sorry pal, but it is the way to go. PPTP is dead :(

Take your crystal ball and go away.

• Shadowsocks then, China's favourite tool :)

@sman said:

It does seem to work, maybe it is your setup:

http://strongvpn.com/setup_windows_10_pptp.html

Thanked by 1teknolaiz
  • smansman Member
    edited October 2015

@netomx said:

A setup procedures doesn't fix my problem.

Also apparently if I ever do get it working then I have to do more manual nonsense to access TCP properties and disable default gateway....sigh.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/windows-10-cannot-access-tcpipv4-properties-on-a/baf0213a-f824-436c-97f2-b3394dd3624a?auth=1

Thanked by 1guyz92
  • Don't be rude then, go find help elsewhere.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Windows10 upgrade breaks PPTP

PPTP was already broken.

And no one is going to "fix your problem" with this attitude.

• @sman said:

You are here and you ask for help. So be respectful to those who try to help you out.

Have to agree with netomx. No matter how much it may work and how easy it may be... it's dead and insecure. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who is looking for a VPN because you know what people use VPNs for. A dead and insecure encryption standard defeats the purpose of a Virtual PRIVATE Network.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • smansman Member
    edited October 2015

@Hidden_Refuge said:
    Have to agree with netomx. No matter how much it may work and how easy it may be... it's dead and insecure. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who is looking for a VPN because you know what people use VPNs for. A dead and insecure encryption standard defeats the purpose of a Virtual PRIVATE Network.

Far from dead. Lots of people still use it for various things because the overhead is low, it's built into windows, simple to setup, and just works. Security is a non-issue for what I am using it for.

Since this thread is derailed let's just switch to that topic.

Like everyone else, you read something about a security hole with pptp from 10 years ago (which was fixed) and that is probably all you know about it like most people who think it's just an open door.

Not strong encryption to be sure but if you understand anything about it you would know that is yet another topic and depends on what you want to use it for.

• You won't get much help with your current position towards us.

1) What exactly is the problem?
    2) What error messages to you get if you get any?
    3) Which solutions have you tried? Links to them would be helpful to avoid reposts of solutions you already tried.

You've given absolutely no to little information about your issue other than "the VPN does not work anymore on Windows 10".

Thanked by 2rm_ 4n0nx
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited October 2015

The TS changed topic and opening post. That's a sin. I will summon @Nekki. He will take care of that unholy daemon.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • smansman Member
    edited October 2015

@Hidden_Refuge said:
    You won't get much help with your current position towards us.

1) What exactly is the problem?
    2) What error messages to you get if you get any?
    3) Which solutions have you tried? Links to them would be helpful to avoid reposts of solutions you already tried.

You've given absolutely no to little information about your issue other than "the VPN does not work anymore on Windows 10".

Us? Who's us? Where are the rules on this 'Us' thing. If someone derails my thread then it's open season as far as I'm concerned...lol. Sorry that makes you all butthurt.

Maybe try this website instead.
    http://goo.gl/ETMrPx

• WHAT SORT OF SHITHOUSERY IS THIS WHERE IS THE OP!!!!!????!!!!

Thanked by 3Amitz 4n0nx doghouch
  • I used to cling to PPTP, then I took an arrow in the knee.

I mean.. then I figured out that openvpn just needs "openvpn path/to/file" to connect and that it works on all devices easily.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

sman said: Security is a non-issue for what I am using it for.

What do you use it for?

sman said: Like everyone else, you read something about a security hole with pptp from 10 years ago (which was fixed) and that is probably all you know about it like most people who think it's just an open door.

It's... quite a bit more than that.

Thanked by 2GStanley 4n0nx
  • @joepie91 said:
    It's... quite a bit more than that.

AND THIS GUY KNOWS HIS SHIT

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • @sman said:
    If I wanted advice on alternatives I would have asked for it.

Do you want a discussion or a pat on the back?

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I use PPTP regularly even though on the same PPTP servers I have L2TP running also and I have a paid PIA account. I use PPTP mainly for when I need to change my IP like when I'm placing an order and need to order through my home ISP when I'm not at home or when I need to connect to certain servers that are IP restricted. If I need security I'll use L2TP but I definitely notice a speed difference between PPTP and L2TP so I always choose PPTP when I can.

Fun fact, if you're at a hotel you can usually bypass throttling by using a VPN and PPTP is great for streaming. When I was on a lengthy road trip I noticed that most of the hotels limited my connection to 1-10Mbps but when I was connected to PPTP the same speed tests showed double to triple the speeds I was seeing without the VPN (L2TP showed an increase as well but Netflix would never stream in HD over L2TP for me even though the latency wasn't that different).

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • @sman said:

Us = the people who reply to you and try to help you.

I see you don't want any help. I asked for details about your initial issue and already applied solution attempts in my reply before but you ignored it and kept acting the way you do even though I wanted to help as much as I could finally.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • smansman Member
    edited October 2015

@4n0nx said:
    I used to cling to PPTP, then I took an arrow in the knee.

I mean.. then I figured out that openvpn just needs "openvpn path/to/file" to connect and that it works on all devices easily.

PPTP much simpler to setup on server and client end. Lower overhead compared to alternatives. No software install required on client end. No key setup required. However, I also use OpenVPN...on the same servers actually. I have them setup to do both.

• smansman Member
    edited October 2015

Lol...if you wanted to help you would have tried to answer the original question. Not derail the thread into yet another poorly informed paranoid security shit show. As such you become fair game as far as I'm concerned.

• smansman Member
    edited October 2015

@KuJoe said:
    I use PPTP regularly even though on the same PPTP servers I have L2TP running also and I have a paid PIA account. I use PPTP mainly for when I need to change my IP like when I'm placing an order and need to order through my home ISP when I'm not at home or when I need to connect to certain servers that are IP restricted. If I need security I'll use L2TP but I definitely notice a speed difference between PPTP and L2TP so I always choose PPTP when I can.

Fun fact, if you're at a hotel you can usually bypass throttling by using a VPN and PPTP is great for streaming. When I was on a lengthy road trip I noticed that most of the hotels limited my connection to 1-10Mbps but when I was connected to PPTP the same speed tests showed double to triple the speeds I was seeing without the VPN (L2TP showed an increase as well but Netflix would never stream in HD over L2TP for me even though the latency wasn't that different).

Thanks for the reasonable well informed response to what was originally a reasonable question. Sounds like you pretty much nailed it.

I switch to OpenVPN if I want more security but the overhead is probably a lot more than L2TP. Also sometimes public routers won't let pptp,l2tp passthrough.

• @sman said:
    Lol...if you wanted to help you would have tried to answer the original question. Not derail the thread into yet another poorly informed paranoid security shit show. As such you become fair game as far as I'm concerned.

Nice ninja edit.

I'll quote you an important line that always matters in support requests "Provide as much information as you can". You provided no to little information about what exactly your issue was (what kind of errors? what exactly didn't work? no connection to VPN server? connected to VPN server but no Internet connection?) and you didn't mention links to solutions you already tried (would also help to see the issue and would help us to prevent reposts).

So, yeah. Much about giving you help here without any other information than "PPTP VPN on Windows 10 is broken need help". It's like "What car do you have? Answer: A car with four wheels and four doors".

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • smansman Member
    edited October 2015

@Nekki said:
    WHAT SORT OF SHITHOUSERY IS THIS WHERE IS THE OP!!!!!????!!!!

The internet is not your parents basement.

• sman said: The internet is not your parents basement.

What does that mean? Sorry, I'm English, we don't have basements so can't understand the connotations of your retort.

• sman said: PPTP much simpler to setup on server and client end. Lower overhead compared to alternatives. No software install required on client end. No key setup required. However, I also use OpenVPN...on the same servers actually. I have them setup to do both.

It is not easier than ./install.sh on server and "apt-get install openvpn" and "openvpn file.ovpn" on client. It takes me seconds to set it up, much faster than PPTP (where typing the connection details alone takes longer).

LOL @sman , you finished even more "troll" than my first suggestion.

Last suggestion: Install Softether on your VPS (farly easy, 2-3 minutes using linc0ln guide), and voila, you have access with SSTP (builtin since W7, and MacOS and Android have it, too), L2TP (Android, Windows, Mac), OpenVPN (all), and Softether. I tried PPTP in the past and it was a pain to configure and easily blocked.

Thanked by 2teknolaiz 4n0nx
  • @sman said:
    I switch to OpenVPN if I want more security but the overhead is probably a lot more than L2TP. Also sometimes public routers won't let pptp,l2tp passthrough.

Liar. OpenVPN runs great on a 64MB box.

You can set the port OpenVPN will run on, and it couldn't be easier with @Nyr's script:
    https://github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install

Thanked by 14n0nx